Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 16, 2012   #106
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Kath my Florist is the same color as yours they take forever to get red, i pick the orange anyway. Another huge storm overnight last night.
Yeah, mine tended to split before red happened. That storm went just north of us and watching the radar I thought of you as it was headed right in your direction.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #107
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Monomakh's Hat

Shorter plant that seemed similar to Serdste Buivola and even Tsar of Bells. Got sizes from 12 to 24 oz. but they were wet for drying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0868.jpg (319.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1603.jpg (261.9 KB, 67 views)
Old August 16, 2012   #108
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Nature's Riddle

This one was less sweet than Hawaiian Pineapple or Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink and ranged from 6 to 24 oz. It was less productive than the first two also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0934.jpg (243.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1385.jpg (357.0 KB, 65 views)
Old August 16, 2012   #109
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Olena Ukrainian

We both like the taste of this one. I broke the top off of it earlier in the season and it took a long time to come back because of the shade from its neighbors so we've only eaten one so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1180.jpg (272.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1240.jpg (457.6 KB, 74 views)
Old August 16, 2012   #110
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Oleyar's German

My notes from who-knows-where say this is a compact indeterminate but I've grown 8 of these between last year and this year from 2 sources and they've all been huge plants. This is one that nearly took a cage down. The yield was described as good or average but mine have produced countless bunches of blunt red hearts ranging from 7 oz. to nearly 2 lbs. when I get a double. It's a winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0779.jpg (334.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0997.jpg (305.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0942.jpg (491.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1351.jpg (311.7 KB, 81 views)
Old August 16, 2012   #111
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Kath, beautiful photography, and the tomatoes look just scrumptious. My mouth is watering alot! you've inspired me to add photography to my list of to-dos for retirement.
Thanks for your garden tour so far, just beautiful, really.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #112
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Kath, beautiful photography, and the tomatoes look just scrumptious. My mouth is watering alot! you've inspired me to add photography to my list of to-dos for retirement.
Thanks for your garden tour so far, just beautiful, really.
-Marsha
You're too kind, Marsha- I just point and shoot with my Kodak Easy Share M320. My son is a professional photographer, though.
Old August 16, 2012   #113
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Heirloom

This is a really dense tomato and all about a pound, also reminding me of KBX. I love the deep color of these types so I keep trying them, but I just haven't found one that tastes really good to me yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1152.jpg (261.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1222.jpg (278.5 KB, 60 views)
Old August 16, 2012   #114
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Strawberry-NOT

I found this one to be more dry and dense than Orange Heirloom and strangely tart but fruity. The plant is gigantic and the fruits are a bit bigger than OH and it set the first fruits up pretty high so it's quite late compared to most. Maybe the fruits will improve as the season progresses. I had high hopes for this one.

I'll be trying to get the real Orange Strawberry one more time next year with new seed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1260.jpg (278.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1280.jpg (308.8 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by kath; August 25, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old August 16, 2012   #115
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Purely out of curiosity, how many varieties did you grow this year, and are these in-ground or container grown? Always looking for a way to fit more 'maters in my garden
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #116
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
Purely out of curiosity, how many varieties did you grow this year, and are these in-ground or container grown? Always looking for a way to fit more 'maters in my garden
Believe it or not, I don't know- I posted a list here on another thread earlier in the season. I know I had 197 plants at one point but there were multiples of a few varieties. Just under 180 rings a bell.I know I didn't get a photo of everything. When I've got this many, I wind up pulling plants out pretty early if they have a problem or no one likes the fruits.

I started a few in 5 gal. containers very early in a greenhouse but everything wound up in the ground by mid-May. The new-to-me varieties are planted close, staked and pruned until I can't keep up with it which seems to happen in early July. Then things go wild until I start pruning tops or pulling plants.
Old August 16, 2012   #117
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

You have changed my entire 2013 Grow-list. I am already searching for 14 of your varieties. Each time I go back through your post, I see one more that I must have.
You have forced me to build a couple more beds this fall. Oh well, I was going to build them sooner or later.

Thank you so much
Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #118
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4230 View Post
You have changed my entire 2013 Grow-list. I am already searching for 14 of your varieties. Each time I go back through your post, I see one more that I must have.
You have forced me to build a couple more beds this fall. Oh well, I was going to build them sooner or later.

Thank you so much
Ken
Yikes, maybe a risky way to make a grow list, Ken. Make sure you check out Tania's website and other reviews. Now I do feel like an enabler.
Old August 16, 2012   #119
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

You've done a great job recording your growouts this year Kath!

I had the same experience you did with Orange Strawberry. Dry and dense, late and on mine most of the fruit didn't have the signature shape I was expecting.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #120
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
You've done a great job recording your growouts this year Kath!

I had the same experience you did with Orange Strawberry. Dry and dense, late and on mine most of the fruit didn't have the signature shape I was expecting.
Thanks, Mark- I managed to take a lot of photos but the written records were pretty much over by the end of July when the grandchildren arrived for a visit from CA.