Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 18, 2021   #1
montyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Pear

Was looking up a few varieties for this year and came across one called blue pear. Has anyone tried it? I tried Indigo Rose last year and really enjoyed it and would like to try another blue/black tomato again. I am assuming that its the same as indigo rose as far as the more sun the fruit gets the darker the color?
Thanks.
montyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2021   #2
MapleTree
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year. It does get the blue coloring where the sun hits it. It was juicy and my mom liked the flavor. I had thought it would be bigger, but many of them were probably about 2 oz. They were easy to pick but didn't fall off in the wind.

My mom really liked them. I was so/so on them and don't plan to grow them again. They're just not what I was looking for.

I looked to see if I had any pictures and the only one I found is the one below. The blue pear is the one in the box with yellow tomatoes, right below the pepper. That's a slightly larger one compared to most of my blue pears.

As far as other blue tomatoes, I grew and liked Sart Roloise. That's a yellow beefsteak with blue antho. It was really good tasting. I grow Damascus Steel to sell at the farmer's market and people come back and tell me it was great, as well as coming to buy it the next spring. So that seems to be a good one. For cherry types, Indigo Pear Drop is awesome. It's up there with Sungold, imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210923_120644401.jpg (174.2 KB, 53 views)
MapleTree is offline   Reply With Quote