Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 4, 2020   #1
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed mix-up?

Hello! I started some tomato plants from seed on 2/10. I have an issue with one of my varieties. I have both potato leaf and regular leaf seedlings, both of which are supposed to be the Kellogg’s Breakfast variety. I am pretty sure it wasn’t a cross up on my part because I was sure to only have one seed packet open at the time. The seeds were bought from Tomatofest. I have a total of 5 potato leaf seedlings and 2 regular leaf seedlings. This is my first year growing this variety, which one are they SUPPOSED to be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C6F3BDE-CED1-414E-8DD3-F13179B5EFD9.jpg (146.5 KB, 131 views)
Snozzcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #2
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I'm not an expert, but I think that there are PL and RL variations of KBX! Looks like you ended up with both!

Did the packet specify?
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Kellogg's Breakfast is the regular leaf; KBX was a potato leaf plant grown by Gardenmamma (Martha) many years ago from several KBs. Grow them both out and let us know what you think. I like both and I think they are so close to each other in flavor, production, size of fruit, etc. that statistically they are the same except for leaf form. Personally I like the potato leaf version, KBX, but can't tell you why.

What you have is most likely the same mutation Martha had. Fifty years ago I would have said,"Far out!". Now I just smile at your good luck.
Old March 4, 2020   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I don't think "What you have is most likely the same mutation Martha had." If you ordered Kellogg's Breakfast, it is supposed to be regular leaf. A potato leaf seedling could mean anything. Maybe a KBX seed. Could be any other potato-leaved variety they sell. Could mean 2 years ago their Kellogg's Breakfast was cross-pollinated with some potato leaf plant, last year's Kellogg's Breakfast was a crossed plant, and this is an F2 plant, unstable & who knows what you'd get? I'd stick with the regular leaf ones unless you have the space & like surprises.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #5
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Kellogg's Breakfast is the regular leaf; KBX was a potato leaf plant grown by Gardenmamma (Martha) many years ago from several KBs. Grow them both out and let us know what you think. I like both and I think they are so close to each other in flavor, production, size of fruit, etc. that statistically they are the same except for leaf form. Personally I like the potato leaf version, KBX, but can't tell you why.

What you have is most likely the same mutation Martha had. Fifty years ago I would have said,"Far out!". Now I just smile at your good luck.
Thanks for the info! I plan to grow out both versions and see what I get. Maybe the PL will be the KBX version as I would love to try it too!
Old March 4, 2020   #6
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I don't think "What you have is most likely the same mutation Martha had." If you ordered Kellogg's Breakfast, it is supposed to be regular leaf. A potato leaf seedling could mean anything. Maybe a KBX seed. Could be any other potato-leaved variety they sell. Could mean 2 years ago their Kellogg's Breakfast was cross-pollinated with some potato leaf plant, last year's Kellogg's Breakfast was a crossed plant, and this is an F2 plant, unstable & who knows what you'd get? I'd stick with the regular leaf ones unless you have the space & like surprises.
I guess I will see what I get! lol I am certainly curious to find out.
Old March 4, 2020   #7
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
I'm not an expert, but I think that there are PL and RL variations of KBX! Looks like you ended up with both!

Did the packet specify?
The packet did not specify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D23C4745-D0C5-4D26-B1D7-42771E67D280.jpg (184.4 KB, 130 views)
Old March 4, 2020   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Nan but if you have the space definitely try at least one of the potato leaf plants. If it is actually KBX I found it far more productive in the heat down here than I did Kellog's Breakfast. Of course I'm one who likes surprises but usually they disappoint. However sometimes you get a real gem that will produce a plant that will remain true and will be a real welcome addition to your tomato garden. I had the same thing happen with Indian Stripe years ago and got the pl version so I saved a bunch of seed and sent most of them to Carolyn and she had them grown out and they remained true. It has been my favorite black tomato since I first grew it to see what would happen. I still grow a regular leaf tomato that came up in my plantings of Kentucky Wonder a few years ago because it made a very similar tomato but with a plant that was more vigorous and far more productive. I just hope it remains true like ISPL did. Most of my experiments like that are flops but I still like to try. I am pretty sure that most of the tomato varieties that have a regular leaf and potato leaf version were found by someone just growing one out to see what would happen.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the one on the right doesn't look like it has the correct leaf formation to me. maybe its just the angle but the end of the leaf looks too wide and blunt.
Old March 5, 2020   #10
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
the one on the right doesn't look like it has the correct leaf formation to me. maybe its just the angle but the end of the leaf looks too wide and blunt.
I agree, the leaves do look a little funny. This is both of the regular leaf plants...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E0180AB7-9878-4815-B5A8-DAB4C0ADEE86.jpeg (94.1 KB, 112 views)
Old March 5, 2020   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Always the possibility of a few stray seeds of another variety getting mixed in during processing/packaging. Until you grow it out and get something totally different from any other variety Tomato Fest carries, you have now way of knowing if it's a possible cross or mutation.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2020   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

truthfully they look like cherry tomatoes to me.
Old March 7, 2020   #13
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Post #10 pics looks like RL to me in both plants and that is as it should be. In another week or so things should become more clear as the plant matures a little further. Post #1 on the other hand shows the potato leaf version on the left most definitely.

Dan

Last edited by Yak54; March 7, 2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote