Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 13, 2019   #121
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Bingo on the Tony's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Thanks for the compliments!!!

I actually don't use that much Tony's, it's too salty. I've been making my own and also using Cavender's Greek seasoning. Here's the mix.

2 tbs onion powder
2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs cayenne
1 tbs ground celery seed
1 tbs ground mustard seed
1 tbs fine parsley
2 tbs Cavenders seasoning
1 tbs non iodized salt
1 TSP black pepper
1 TBS white pepper

It is (((way))) too salty for me and I have always made my own some way or another.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019   #122
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It is (((way))) too salty for me and I have always made my own some way or another.

My wife likes the salt. I don't eat much salt. I like Tony's for the heat. I do keep a lot of hot pepper powders around our son grinds for me, I love it, but my wife can't take the heat in her food. The best seasoning for my wife is Lawrey's season all. I use a lot of that and add the pepper powder to mine.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019   #123
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I will be at my grand daughters volley ball game today, but on Samantha Browns show on PBS; she will be at a crawfish boil in Breaux Bridge. I'm taping it to watch later. I know it will make me hungry.
Old July 13, 2019   #124
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Off topic but I've been using this interactive weather tool and it's amazing how much detail you can get from all the tools. Click in any area and it will give reported wind gust.
https://on.windy.com/2hjir
Great link! Thank you!

You take care...
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #125
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago there was a restaurant here in town that everything they made had some sort of the same so called (Cajun Spice) dumped on it.
Really gets old because everything tasted the same.
Dumping this stuff on food no more makes it "Cajun" than putting a pineapple on food makes it Hawaiian or a hot pepper on something makes it Mexican.

I worked and lived for years with transplanted Cajuns of all creeds in south east Texas.
Some grew up working in that Tabasco Pepper Sauce factory on Avery Island.
Old July 14, 2019   #126
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I spent a lot of time on Avery Island. They had a little bridge over the bayou. Tourists would drive up to the bridge and pay an entrance fee. I would drive up and tell them I was going to the Exxon gas plant on the Island. I loved going to the far side of the island while driving through mile after mile of Tabasco pepper plants. The smell of peppers fermenting in the wooden barrels permeated the island.

My first Cajun squirrel gumbo was at a united gas pipeline station near Alexandria. They were all Cajun's and would start lunch simmering early in the morning and then start working their job until noon. Cajun's are the most hospitable people I've every met.

Last edited by DonDuck; July 14, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old July 14, 2019   #127
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Off topic but I've been using this interactive weather tool and it's amazing how much detail you can get from all the tools. Click in any area and it will give reported wind gust.
https://on.windy.com/2hjir

I'm seeing Lafayette in the higher wind gusts just now, with the heavier rain and thunder west of you or perhaps has moved west... Hopefully will not last much longer, nor interrupt your storm dinner!!
Up here the weather men are all about curling up with your 'storm chips'... but of course home cookin can do better. My fave is to have something tasty in the crock pot, and get it hot before the worst weather/power outage is expected... then as soon as power goes, it's time for a hot meal. Spicy food is awesome for cold weather outages - it heats you up even when it's cold.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019   #128
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I survived Hurricane Barry and as soon as the yard dries out enough I'll be picking up all the small limbs that blew out of the trees.

Two days stuck inside drove me crazy so I made a video cooking catfish and shrimp coubion/courtbouillon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEFxK00340&t=5s

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; July 16, 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019   #129
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I love catfish coubion. Never had catfish and shrimp coubion.

I used to fish with an old African American man two or three times per week at night after the sun went down. He would set up a crawfish cooker behind where we were fishing and get it ready to start cooking coubion. All we had to do was catch the fish, clean them; and toss them in the pot. He spoke mostly Cajun French, but we could understand each other pretty well. We were not that choosy about the type of fish that went into the post. Even hard head catfish and gaff top make good coubion. My part of the deal was to catch the bait with my cast net, mostly shad and shrimp. He did the cooking and I did the eating. We fed a lot of people out of that pot when they would stop to ask what we were catching. We had a regular clientele who came by almost every night for a free meal.

Last edited by DonDuck; July 16, 2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old July 16, 2019   #130
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Once the gravy is made any seafood goes great in there. I like the sweetness the shrimp gives it.
Old July 16, 2019   #131
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Coincidentally I was thinking of making something like this on the way home from work.
Without seeing any here about it.
Strange.
Old July 16, 2019   #132
bower
Tomatovillian™

Storm cookin.... like! Nice video Rob, I could not see the first one for some reason, different format my machine can't see all of them. But this was great. Barry beware, the Cajuns don't care.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019   #133
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is almost exactly what my mom used to make.
It doesn't surprise me because she was French.
Fresh water Drum AKA Gasper Goo is a good fish choice too.
Old July 16, 2019   #134
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Storm cookin.... like! Nice video Rob, I could not see the first one for some reason, different format my machine can't see all of them. But this was great. Barry beware, the Cajuns don't care.
I hate you can't see it, that's probably my fault. I'm learning about editing and different formats and it's a whole new process to figure out the software and what it can do. I hope I get get better and faster because this is a process to edit, make screen shots and planning a meal with all the ingredients and trying to remember the important information of the dish.

My next goal is to make videos shorter but that's a whole new discussion. It's hard to keep it short and show the process without leaving info out.

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; July 16, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019   #135
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is almost exactly what my mom used to make.
It doesn't surprise me because she was French.
Fresh water Drum AKA Gasper Goo is a good fish choice too.
That makes sense considering most on the cooking we do came from France and France spread their techniques around the world so we also pick it up from other cultures that came here to settle.

I've eaten plenty of Goo from the Atchafalaya, they like whole crawfish on the bottom!!!