Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 4, 2014   #46
dinca
Tomatovillian™

AUGUST 3, 2014

Planted one plant of each variety. 3C3 was planted in early June, 3C45 and 3C54 were planted on May 22 - all struggled.

3C3 No ripe fruit after approximately 50 days in the ground.
3C45 Five ripe fruit so far, plum, red with orange stripes, smallest 1.75 oz, largest (3) 3.0oz, average 2.675oz (left in photo) after 71 days in the ground.
3C54 Six ripe fruit so far, small round, brown with green stripes, smallest 1.125, largest 2.0oz, average 1.667oz (right in photo) after 69 days in the ground.
101_1928.jpg

AUGUST 4, 2014

Picked six more 3C54 today. A good, but mild flavored small fruit that is unlikely to offend anyone. The skin may be a bit thicker than most, but it is not objectionable. I would plant this vigorous and productive plant again.

Picked five more 3C45 today. A tasty plum with a sharper taste than 3C45.

Both are pretty consistent in size within their variety.

In answer to an early post, you didn't state a requirement to return seeds to you. Does that still hold true? Do you object to us saving seeds?

Last edited by dinca; August 5, 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Results from a day later
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #47
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinca View Post
AUGUST 3, 2014

Planted one plant of each variety. 3C3 was planted in early June, 3C45 and 3C54 were planted on May 22 - all struggled.

3C3 No ripe fruit after approximately 50 days in the ground.
3C45 Five ripe fruit so far, plum, red with orange stripes, smallest 1.75 oz, largest (3) 3.0oz, average 2.675oz (left in photo) after 71 days in the ground.
3C54 Six ripe fruit so far, small round, brown with green stripes, smallest 1.125, largest 2.0oz, average 1.667oz (right in photo) after 69 days in the ground.
Attachment 44623

AUGUST 4, 2014

Picked six more 3C54 today. A good, but mild flavored small fruit that is unlikely to offend anyone. The skin may be a bit thicker than most, but it is not objectionable. I would plant this vigorous and productive plant again.

Picked five more 3C45 today. A tasty plum with a sharper taste than 3C45.

Both are pretty consistent in size within their variety.

In answer to an early post, you didn't state a requirement to return seeds to you. Does that still hold true? Do you object to us saving seeds?

Thanks Dinca - no need to return F2 seed, I have these all growing at my place also, but wanted testing in a couple of other environments. There is no problem with saving and planting the F2 seed you produce on these hybrids.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #48
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default First ripe 3C5

Planted out May 28 - picked today. These turned out to be longer and not as heart shaped as I expected. When is it not a heart, but a plum shaped fruit? Is this considered a heart? Good tasting, but not very strong flavor - sweetish to my taste - not as much bite as I like. Maybe the later ones will have more flavor.

These are the first three and look to represent the range of size, although most look like they will end up more like the larger ones. The plant is loaded. What would you expect out of the F2s? How wide a range of size/color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140810_165821214.jpg (262.2 KB, 184 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #49
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Wow, what gorgeous looking results
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #50
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's 3C5 and 3C3 as grown in Albuquerque (5,500 ft elevation). I don't see much difference between them. The sure look cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C5 and 3C3 001.jpg (461.5 KB, 173 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #51
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default 3C57 WOW!

I realized that I probably didn't say anything about my plant #2. It was planted approximately 2 weeks after plant #1, and ripened the first fruit in only 46 days.

My two plants are now producing good quantities of fruit, and fruit from plant #2 are turning out to be just slightly fatter and maybe a bit longer, but they are the same general shape. In the photo below, #2 is on the left, and they weigh 13g and 10g, respectively.

Plant #1 gets the edge in taste and production. I finally figured out that they need to be a really dark red. The stripes are almost metallic-looking. THEN, they are the best tasting tomato in the garden so far. Knee-buckling, amazing, intense, rich, full taste with a final jolt of sweetness. Not to be overly dramatic or anything. At least a 9/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frogsleap-3C57-both-ripe.jpg (237.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Frogsleap3C57-cut.jpg (154.0 KB, 171 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #52
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I realized that I probably didn't say anything about my plant #2. It was planted approximately 2 weeks after plant #1, and ripened the first fruit in only 46 days.

My two plants are now producing good quantities of fruit, and fruit from plant #2 are turning out to be just slightly fatter and maybe a bit longer, but they are the same general shape. In the photo below, #2 is on the left, and they weigh 13g and 10g, respectively.

Plant #1 gets the edge in taste and production. I finally figured out that they need to be a really dark red. The stripes are almost metallic-looking. THEN, they are the best tasting tomato in the garden so far. Knee-buckling, amazing, intense, rich, full taste with a final jolt of sweetness. Not to be overly dramatic or anything. At least a 9/10.
Robin - I thought both parents were pretty stable, but your plant #1 looks a little darker, and may be a bit tastier than either plant I grew here. Can you send me some F2 seed? I made the cross again this summer with the next generation parent lines. thanks.
Old August 14, 2014   #53
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Here's 3C5 and 3C3 as grown in Albuquerque (5,500 ft elevation). I don't see much difference between them. The sure look cool.
They have a common parent. 3C5 was smaller and with more red striping in the GWR flesh for me. I liked the flavor of both
Old August 14, 2014   #54
salix
Tomatovillian™

Mark, hopefully will be able to provide a full report in about a week. Did not want to do one until I had some ripe fruit so as to have all information in one post, now that we can only edit for a short time. Lovely vigorous plants!
Old August 18, 2014   #55
dinca
Tomatovillian™

Default The three I grew

August 17, 2014

Group Portrait
23-20140817-3C3-3C45-3C54.jpg

3C3
Tasty, bright flavor - most favored
1-100_2053.jpg

3C45
Smooth, nice tang
2-100_2054.jpg

3C54
Unremarkable flavor - least favored
3-100_2055.jpg
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #56
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default 3C45

Starting to ripen now. Very good flavored. I need to do a side-by-side taste with the 3C5 to compare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C45a.jpg (200.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 3C45b.jpg (139.4 KB, 134 views)
Old August 19, 2014   #57
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post

I really like that tear drop shaped one. Very cool!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2014   #58
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default 3C45 & 3C5

First photo - 3C5 - three representative. The darker one in the middle is overripe. The plant is absolutely loaded with fruit - very consistent.

Second photo - 3C45 - three representative. The darker one on the right is slightly overripe - the lighter one not quite ripe. Not nearly as heavily loaded as the other.

Both have excellent flavor.

You are right. I had them labeled incorrectly. They are right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140820_122410351.jpg (272.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140820_122827662.jpg (237.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140820_122942514.jpg (204.9 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by dfollett; August 22, 2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Fixed incorrect labels.
Old August 22, 2014   #59
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
First photo - 3C45 - three representative. The darker one in the middle is overripe. The plant is absolutely loaded with fruit - very consistent.

Second photo - 3C5 - three representative. The darker one on the right is slightly overripe - the lighter one not quite ripe. Not nearly as heavily loaded as the other.

Both have excellent flavor.
Great photos, thanks. I think 3C5 is the top photo and 3C45 on the bottom, or I accidentally labeled the envelopes wrongly.
Old August 24, 2014   #60
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately with our deluge of rain coming as most of our tomatoes are ripening I haven't gotten the best conditions for photo ready fruit.

Most of mine are close to what you said was to be expected, but one of the 3C40 plants is giving larger than expected fruit. Flesh is soft and they are cracking, but are on the sweeter side, this one read 6 brix.

Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote