Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 17, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default sriracha peppers

So what's the truth with sriracha peppers,are they just a red jalapeno pepper?I see the bottled sauce in the store and bought some Blue Diamond almonds coated in sriracha pepper.What I found researching was it's the fully ripened jalapeno.Is there a special strain of jalapeno seed sold?I have grown jalapeno and did let them turn red,great flavor but so were the ones I picked green.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Yep, Sriracha sauce is made with red (ripe) Jalapenos. Some use red (ripe) Fresno peppers instead to make the sauce less earthy tasting and others might mix in some Serrano peppers as well. No such thing a Sriracha pepper.
There are dozens of strains of Jalapenos, pick one with the heat level and flavor you like the best and roll with that. Most that I tried last years (about 4 types) did not have the heat they had in years past for some reason. The Fresnos did have the heat.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Plus the stuff has sugar added.
Lots of sugar.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replays,Worth1,rhines81.I happen to have jalapeno seeds so that's one I can start next month.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #5
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

To make it more confusing: Totallytomato.com has a pepper called sriracha hybrid pepper. The picture looks like a green jalapeno.

In my limited experience, Chichimeca hybrid jalapeno if allowed to go red, is the sweetest and hottest jalapeno I've had. I'm chasing after sweet and hot peppers this year with Chichimeca F1, Mucho Nacho F1, Antep Aci Dolma, and Sugar Rush Peach.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
To make it more confusing: Totallytomato.com has a pepper called sriracha hybrid pepper. The picture looks like a green jalapeno.

In my limited experience, Chichimeca hybrid jalapeno if allowed to go red, is the sweetest and hottest jalapeno I've had. I'm chasing after sweet and hot peppers this year with Chichimeca F1, Mucho Nacho F1, Antep Aci Dolma, and Sugar Rush Peach.
I am trying Mucho Nacho this year as well as Jalafuego ........ also giving Early Jalapeno a shot along with the 2 other Jalapeno varieties that I normally grow. Getting tired of the TAM and Biker Billy having too little heat.
Old January 18, 2018   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Which reminds me I need to make a sweet fermented hot sauce with Manzano peppers.
Very thick and meaty they are.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I had great success with Craig's Grande Jalapeno from Baker Creek last year. I am overwintering a couple of them in hopes of great production in 2018. They are big and plump and taste excellent both green and red. I fermented a blend of green and red for sauce and it is superb.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #9
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Gadzooks! Biker Billy F1 peppers mild? I am trying this pepper also this year. I went to the source and bought them from Burpee so hopefully they will have the heat.

I've grown Early Jalapeno for the last several years. Others have described it to having a green grass taste and I would have to agree, and I will skip it for this year.

Manzano: I was thinking this was a 100k scoville pepper and out of my comfort zone, but it looks like a 12-50k scoville pepper, so I might try to squeeze this one in.

I've never made sriracha sauce, but I would think Chichimeca and possibly Mucho Nacho would be good choices to be sweet and not have to add much sugar.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #10
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

https://www.amazon.com/Sriracha-Davi...words=sriracha

This is a documentary on Amazon Prime. totally worth watching.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #11
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
Gadzooks! Biker Billy F1 peppers mild? I am trying this pepper also this year. I went to the source and bought them from Burpee so hopefully they will have the heat.

I've grown Early Jalapeno for the last several years. Others have described it to having a green grass taste and I would have to agree, and I will skip it for this year.

Manzano: I was thinking this was a 100k scoville pepper and out of my comfort zone, but it looks like a 12-50k scoville pepper, so I might try to squeeze this one in.

I've never made sriracha sauce, but I would think Chichimeca and possibly Mucho Nacho would be good choices to be sweet and not have to add much sugar.
My seed for Biker Billy was direct from Burpee, bought a few packs several years ago. I have a half dozen or so seeds left for this year and won't be re-buying the seed after that. I've never found them to be any hotter than a generic jalapeno and last year they were all fairly mild. Could have been the weather or the soil, YMMV.
I never heard that about the Early jalapenos, maybe I should only grow a couple of those this year just to try them out. My hopes are that the Mucho Nacho and Jalafuego will fit the bill. Fresnos are great tasting and bring the heat , but they don't hold up to stuffing because of their thin walls.
What I should try is putting a stuffed fresno inside of a jalapeno for wall support ... hmmm and I'll call it a Fresnapeno Popper!
Old January 18, 2018   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Biker Billy is a great producer. If you want your Jalapenos hotter just plant in plastic mulch and dont water. If you want them sweeter fertilize and water them more. Heat is just a result of stress + genetics. The more stress the more angry the pepper gets. I'm trying this one this year http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...d-3528.11.html

Some other growers told me the production is insane, plus the bigger peppers are less work.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Biker Billy is a great producer. If you want your Jalapenos hotter just plant in plastic mulch and dont water. If you want them sweeter fertilize and water them more. Heat is just a result of stress + genetics. The more stress the more angry the pepper gets. I'm trying this one this year http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...d-3528.11.html

Some other growers told me the production is insane, plus the bigger peppers are less work.
Biker Billy is an OK producer, never had a plant "loaded" with peppers like some others. Jalefuego is supposedly the "best" producer and also 4 inch peppers and very disease resistant.

I am now wondering why I did not see this one when I was purchasing my seed from them earlier this year:

Even bigger (5 inch) and hotter (17,000 SHU) - says heavy yields too.

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/jalmundo-numex

Edit:
Could not resist, had to order it - even if the jalamundo is 50% of the advertised SHU it sounds like the perfect jalapeño popper pepper (for me). I ordered it with another super hot and a couple of sweets that I wanted to try which brings me up to about 35 pepper varieties to grow this year. Going to need another raised bed or two.

Last edited by rhines81; January 18, 2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: cha cha cha changes
Old January 18, 2018   #14
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Highly recommend the Jalmundo pepper. I've been growing it for the last 3 or 4 years and it is my favorite jalapeño. Not as long as a regular jalapeño, but wider and thick walled. Great for stuffing and salsa.

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Highly recommend the Jalmundo pepper. I've been growing it for the last 3 or 4 years and it is my favorite jalapeño. Not as long as a regular jalapeño, but wider and thick walled. Great for stuffing and salsa.
Really, not as long?? They say it's a 5 incher which is huge by jalapeño standards (must have been a guy measuring them!)
How's the heat??

Last edited by rhines81; January 18, 2018 at 10:03 PM.