Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 26, 2016   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default Rainbow wax pepper seeds

Looking for Rainbow wax pepper seeds. anybody have any to share? I have never heard of them and had a customer requesting them. AAny help would be appreciated. Pm me with your addy and I will SASE you. thanks
Old May 26, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think it is some oddball name someone put on wax peppers.
Given the chance any wax pepper will go from green to yellow, orange and then red.
Many people dont know this.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

No, he said it is an old heirloom variety. He has grown it for many years and everytime I order med hot blocks I get those STUPID yellow hot wax BANANA peppers. that is not a med hot block. it frustrates me. but a real med hot block would be a true bonus. the only other one I found to be a true med hot block is one called astry and it is expensive and I have to buy 250 seeds at a time.

AND maybe I should have put this in the wanted forum... duh.

Last edited by clkeiper; May 26, 2016 at 03:28 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What is med hot block?

I am suspicious of some of these "old heirlooms".
Have you looked at the Hungarian wax peppers.
I have looked for the rainbow wax pepper seeds and came up with nothing.

Worth
Old May 26, 2016   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

"Have you looked at the Hungarian wax peppers." yep... that is aka a hot banana in every seed catalog I buy. A block pepper is a "block" shaped pepper.. like a sweet bell pepper. not quite as rounded as a cal. wonder.

I know there are people who save and grow med hot blocks that are truly not banana shaped pepper... they are block or bell shaped for stuffing.
Old May 26, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Interesting they sell something like that in the store but they aren't hot.

Now I want some.

Worth
Old May 26, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Only thing I have ever heard of is the Hungarian Rainbow Wax peppers too. Did they give you any more other than blocky of a description.

The only heirloom bell I can think of is and I may have the spelling wrong is Pustzagold. It makes a beautiful what I would call a rainbow bell. It starts out a pale yellow and then turns to what I call a tangerine-orangeish color and has those three colors all at once and then turns to a deep orange and red.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks starlight, but is it a semi hot? I am looking for something to stuff and use to can/pickle. I had a customer a couple years ago looking for a hotter stuffing pepper than the Astry. She was from Germany, I do believe, and said... "funny, there are many of them there".

Only I sure haven't found any of them anywhere.... except a friend who said her dad raised some semi hot blocks and he has saved the seeds and regrown his own for years and years... he is about 100 I do believe and still gardening, I was told I could get a plant or two last year but that didn't happen. maybe now that I thought about that again I will call and see if they have an extra one or two plants I can try... I will keep my fingers crossed. maybe maybe not.
Old May 26, 2016   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a Gypsy pepper, but it's a hybrid and not hot...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Draw us a pictuer of it.
Worth
Old May 27, 2016   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

There is an old heirloom pepper called Rainbow Wax. A friend of mine called late last night that grows heirloom peppers and tomatoes and I asked if they knew about this pepper. They did and they actually had some seeds of it.

They will send me the seeds and when they do arrive, I will be glad to send you some. Only thing is I have no idea when the seeds will arrive and it may be to late for you this season by the time I get them as they have a family member in last stages of life, so I don't want to push to get the seeds.

I did notice that Reimer Seeds had some of the Artsy seeds. Think it was 10 seeds for like 4 bucks.
Old May 27, 2016   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
There is an old heirloom pepper called Rainbow Wax. A friend of mine called late last night that grows heirloom peppers and tomatoes and I asked if they knew about this pepper. They did and they actually had some seeds of it.

They will send me the seeds and when they do arrive, I will be glad to send you some. Only thing is I have no idea when the seeds will arrive and it may be to late for you this season by the time I get them as they have a family member in last stages of life, so I don't want to push to get the seeds.

I did notice that Reimer Seeds had some of the Artsy seeds. Think it was 10 seeds for like 4 bucks.
Oh... Starlight!!!! Thanks ever so much. I keep looking but haven't found anything that is what I am looking for. Let me know and I will send an sase or can I send you something in return? I do mostly commercial seeds so I may not have much unusual, but I am willing to share anything I do have.
Old May 27, 2016   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad to be of help. I guess their daughter had seen them and had gotten the seed for them cuz they were pretty. We know how eye candy can be. Her daughter never did get around to growing them, so when she deals with the family situation she will send me all the seeds she has of it. Soon as I get them, I'll let you know. No need for sase or a trade.
Old July 20, 2016   #14
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Are these the type of medium hot blocks that you wanted? I bought these plants at a local nursery. Not exactly banana, but not bell, either.

Last edited by MadCow333; July 20, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #15
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Also see http://www.amishlandseeds.com/peppers.htm
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote