Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 18, 2020   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Pot Question?

Last summer, my current favorite variety, Galahad F1, had a tendency to dry out and wilt (slightly). I can't really hook up an irrigation system where these will be located, so thought I'd go with the next bigger pot size. I'll only use two of these larger pots, so the extra potting mix is not an issue to me.

I'm getting ready to order a few 15-gallon fabric pots. I have narrowed my choices to two very similar types:
The first has dimensions of 20" dia. X 13" tall (apx 2.2 ft3)

The second has dimensions of 16" dia. X 20" tall (apx 2.3 ft3)
The prices are essentially the same.

Primarily for larger determinate tomatoes, will I likely be better with a bigger diameter (for perhaps better root spread) -or- taller which might have less evaporation? Or does it really make much difference?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2020   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I use Root Pouches and I swear the 15 gallon is way more than 3 of the 5 gallon. I have them in sizes from 2 gallon-15 gallons but I only use the 5,7,10,15.

My favorite size for tomatoes is 7 gallon but for the determinate plants, I use 5 gallons.

I bought another 7 gallon brand from Amazon this season - it was tan colored and I thought maybe it would get less gross - not the case at all; even more gross. The height on the tan ones was 10 inches and I really noticed a difference.

I would go for taller than wider.

My mix (ProMix) gets very compacted regardless of size.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2020   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Do you use a drip irrigation system with your five-gallon pouches? Or perhaps you water more than once per day when the plants get larger?

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 19, 2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old December 20, 2020   #4
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I learned my lesson the hard way... from now on, I always default to 'lower and wider' when it comes to containers. Wind can be a problem for larger container plants (unless they are supported with stakes driven into the ground).
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2020   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Koala Doug. I hadn't thought of that, but I use cages outside of the bag, so that hasn't been an issue. The downside to my method is that I lose the use of over a foot of the cage. I've even thought of burying part of the bag. Or I may have to get some of Burpee's extenders. (Their "Pro" series cages are really nice, IMO.)
Old December 21, 2020   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I have super winds often and a long season with huge plants and still outgrow cage/extenders. I use T-Posts for every plant so don't bury the cage legs which adds more height.

I have a bunch of Burpee's large cages and was burying the 18" legs and the wind was still having them badly tilted.

The T-Posts (Homedepot) work well and stack easily - I only take them out if a hurricane is coming our way.

I've always put my cages on the outside of the grow bag. Most of the legs are inside the earthbox but let a few hang out too. Last year, I tried not putting the legs inside a couple of the earthboxes - that was a mistake when the super winds come through.

----
I manually water and usually just once a day but my season is reversed and when it is still hot in the fall, the plants are small. When it is brutally hot in the summer, I'm already done for the season.

One thing I did when it was hot was cover the bottom of the earthbox so the sun wouldn't beat down on it keeping the reservoir cool. I thought it made a huge difference.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2020   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have no personal experience with fabric pots, but have often read that they need to be watered more frequently in warm/hot weather as the fabric wicks away moisture rather than holding it in as a plastic container would. If you are already having an issue with drying out and wilting, you may want to research this more before committing.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2020   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Well, my 15 gallon bags have already arrived. But my old 10 gallon bags were fabric, and 13" tall by 16" diameter and these are apx. 17" tall and 16.5" diameter. This is approximate since they are not filled. The dimensions shown on Amazon Q&A did not match what I got, but the added 50% volume should give better protection against drying.