Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 15, 2020   #406
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen, still 5 more lands to go, need to get in more soil still. Been an expensive operation, but so worth it in the long run. Will be netting most of the area as well which will keep the sparrows under control and allow the addition of some runner ducks to help keep the slugs and snails under control
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020   #407
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default The new bed - Photos

The first two images (5838 and 5839) fit end to end to show the full length of the new bed, 8 x (200 x 50 x 3650mm or 12 foot long) boards 3 high make up the North wall.

The next , 5828 is looking North West across the new bed and

5826 is looking east across the bed, basically what I would see driving onto the block
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5838a.jpg (203.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5839a.jpg (187.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5828a.jpg (186.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5826a.jpg (228.1 KB, 177 views)
Old September 17, 2020   #408
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Mate thats looking Great, let me know when picking season is on lol , am Jelouse!!..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2020   #409
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Been a busy couple of days in the land of Woz, yesterday swapped some plants with a friend, on the way to purchase a rotary hoe off Mcsee, whoms garden is looking fabulous, tomatoes big strong and healthy. Same can be said for his garlic and onions. Then back home and a delivery of bees.

Bees have settled in well, did not realise that on a good day they can fly 5 miles (8 km) to find food.

Gave the rotary hoe a run today and apart from a couple of tweeks, runs well. Made short work of loosing the top of one of the new lands.

Land now planted with potatoes as well as another, 40 row meters, 150-160 tubers in the ground.
Old October 15, 2020   #410
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Managed to get 63 plants in the ground today, from somewhere between 25 and 30 varieties. First few potatoes are up.
Old October 15, 2020   #411
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you're off and running on your new land!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2020   #412
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Got the last of the tomatoes in the ground today. 156 if I have tallied up correctly, also some corn, carrots, parsnip, beetroot and Sunflowers in. Cucumbers and (JAP x Waltham Butternut) F2 seed sown in pots, up and will go in ground once I widen the last partially formed bed too 2 meters wide
Old October 30, 2020   #413
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Got the last of the tomatoes in the ground today. 156 if I have tallied up correctly, also some corn, carrots, parsnip, beetroot and Sunflowers in. Cucumbers and (JAP x Waltham Butternut) F2 seed sown in pots, up and will go in ground once I widen the last partially formed bed too 2 meters wide
156! I wish you great weather and great tomatoes! Post lots of pictures for us northerners
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2022   #414
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Access issues have prevented me from keeping this thread running over the last couple of years, hopefully Telstra will behave themselves a bit more from now on.

The tomato seed planting Day has arrived at the Garden of Woz. Ground to wet to work, wind to bleeping cold to be standing outside doing something even though the sun was out, and as for when the sun was covered by cloud....lets not go there, so into the shed, grabbed the tomato seed containers and got to work sowing them. BIG problem, too many interesting/must grow again varieties for the 77 cells, especially as Costuloto genovese 'Brokenbar" was getting 2 cells. Hummmm, lets see She wants those ones, the youngsters want those, I want to grow them, that sounds interesting, hold on I'm out of room and there is still more to go!! Luckily these is still a bit of room on the heat pad and some 10 cell punnets floating about.

The List as it stands at the moment, definitely more to come.

(Not) Chocolate Stripes (PL)
100 R
42 Days
Alice's Dream
Artic Rose
Banana Legs
Barosa Moon #5941
Bendigo Blush #5944
Bendigo Moon #5950
Big Green
Black Sea Man
Blood Moon
Bloody Butcher
Blueberries
Bogatyr Masalov
Bowerbirds Orange
Bowerbirds Yellow
Burgundy F4
Captain Lucky
Chang Li Cherry
Chocolate Lime Stripes
Costuloto Genovese "BrokenBar"
Costulto Fiorentino
Dana's Dusky Rose Cross F2?3
Dark Orange Muscat Cherry
Dr Wyches Yellow
Duncans Dutch Pear
Elbonian Hip Deep
Elbonian Mudball Nth Pink F5
Elbonian Mudball Sth Dark F5
Elbonian Mudslinger
EM Champion
Everglades
Franklin County
Garrote Bicolor Aracenes 859gram
Golden Heart
Japanese Onion
John's Giant
Lime Green Salad
Lithium Sunset
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Marong Moon # 5954
Midnight Sun
Mini Kumato, F5 Pear
Moravsky Div
Moya Jaune
MSITKWTK '19
Orange Cherry Pear
Orange, You glad
Pilari
Plum Lemon
Polaris
Post Office Spoonful
Pruden's Purple
Red Mini Roma
Red Pear Granissimo
Rita's Black Pear
Rumpelstiltskin
Shannon's
Sherkhan
Sirja's Love (Red Variant)
Summertime Green
Swoon
Thai Pink Egg
The Thong
Umberto 2020
USDA 97L97
Variegated Tomato
Vincent's White
Volvo's Apple Cherry
Volvo's Daughter No. 1 F3
Willa's Caribou Rose
Yellow Cherry/Current
Yellow Pear
Zapotec Pleated Yellow
Zena's Gift
Old August 21, 2022   #415
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

On the 29/7/22 the following went in and were placed on heat.

Peppers/Capsicums/Chillis, call them what you will.

Unknown, old seed possible Jimmy Nardello's
Black Panther, did not realise how hot these get at 1.1 million Scoville units, may just throw them, they certainly wont get eaten at home.
Kraken, seed from an unstable cross, another at 1 million Scoville that may just get thrown if they come up.
These two were seed sent to me from a contact in South Australia
Rest of the seed of these two will be thrown, no point keeping something that we will not eat, unless if someone asks for them.

AJI Lemon
Yellow 420 gram, seed from a yellow bell of that weight from 2016
Leutschauer Paprika
Santa Fe Grande
Pepperdew
Marconi Gold
Hungarian White (ex commercial fruit)
Orange Bell (ex commercial fruit)
Chillie Pie
Marconi Rosso
Purple Beauty
Chocolate Beauty
Elephant Ear
Pepperonici
Pepperonici Yellow/Orange
Flavour Burst F2
Palermo's ex commercial fruit, a group of 4 Bulls Horn Style peppers that are sweeter than bells available here Down Under, available in a red, yellow, orange and chocolate, from commercial fruit.

Greens

Lettuce
Cimmaron
Great Lakes
Black Seeded
Australian Yellow Leaf

All starting to germinate by 2/8/22

Leaf Mustards

Yakina
Florida Broadleaf ( starting to germinate by 2/8/22)

and on the 31/7

Lettuce Freckles
Flat leaf Parsley
Bok Choi Pechay
Komatsuna
Old August 21, 2022   #416
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Of those

AJI Lemon
Leutschauer Paprika
Marconi Gold
Hungarian White (ex commercial fruit)
Orange Bell (ex commercial fruit)
Chillie Pie
Marconi Rosso
Purple Beauty
Chocolate Beauty
Pepperonici
Pepperonici Yellow/Orange
Flavour Burst F2
Palermo's ex commercial fruit, a group of 4 Bulls Horn Style peppers that are sweeter than bells available here Down Under, available in a red, yellow, orange and chocolate, from commercial fruit.

Greens

Lettuce
Cimmaron
Great Lakes
Black Seeded
Australian Yellow Leaf

Leaf Mustards

Yakina
Florida Broadleaf
Komatsuna
Bok Choi Pechay

Flat leaf Parsley

Have all stared to germinate
Old August 21, 2022   #417
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great looking lists, looking forward to your posts over the winter and pleased to see you are growing some of mine
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2022   #418
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I recognized a few I have tried on your list, some that are old favorites, and a new favorite or two.
Swoon is a new favorite, quite similar to one I selected and named out of seeds offered by another poster here almost 20 years ago. "Heshpole" isn't quite as large, isn't quite as productive, and doesn't produce quite as many blemish-free tomatoes as Swoon. The only place Heshpole wins is slightly better cool night blossom retention and thereby speed to ripe tomatoes.

In my MN garden, we have eaten two Heshpoles and put some in canning jars. The first Swoon might be ready tomorrow.

Sherekhan (spelling on traded packet) is a small-medium striped paste. Unremarkable other than that...but it IS lovely to look at. Currently comparing to Marzano Fire and one from a former poster, Martin Longseth, who passed this year. "Martin's Super Roma" gave me large to very large paste types. My seed was old and germination was bad, but I'm working at increasing seed stock. It was a tribute grow to remember Martin.

I grew a Pepperoncinis last year, and wasn't impressed. The variety I grew didn't get to a sweet, almost ripe stage before falling off the plants, rotting. Green ones exhibited little heat, and a lot of immature pepper bitterness. I hope it was Burpee seeds, not the variety itself. I hope yours do well.

Pic is of two average Martin's Super Romas. One so far has been 6 oz, a couple in the 5 oz range.
To compare, Marz Fire and San Marz have been about 3-3.5 oz. 2nd pic is Legenda Tarasenko, San Marz, and Marz Fire.

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk
Old August 21, 2022   #419
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind comments Karen. Midnight Sun is a definite favourite with my son, liked by the rest of us also so will always be on the grow list. Polaris does well here also.

Seriously considering moving to dwarfs for most of our eating tomatoes as the wind here can destroy plants tied to stakes, snapping those stakes unless they are at least 40 mm square with a well grown indeterminate. Determinates are getting a better than usual run here this year also. So many good indeterminates though...
Old August 21, 2022   #420
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Eyolf, thanks for the informative comments and spelling correction. Will note that down.

Have heard about Martin's Super Roma, but had not seen a size reference or photo. Bigger than most of the Roma's grown down under, would be interested in seeing how it grows down here sometime.