Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 22, 2020   #16
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

There are at least 3 different "Red Zebra" tomatoes making the rounds. Two of them are mediocre flavored. The third is a fairly good tomato although not quite as sweet as I would like. I would rate is as a solid 8.5 on a flavor scale. My personal preference is for balanced flavor with decent tartness, fruitiness, and some sweetness. Akers West Virginia is one of the best for rich tomato flavor while Crnkovic Yugoslavian is an excellent balanced flavor tomato.

If you would like some seed of the decently flavored Red Zebra, pm an address and I'll drop them in the mail along with some Hibor and Lorelei. You will like Lorelei as a cherry with decent disease tolerance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2020   #17
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
It looks like Red Jazz, but thankfully it is not that bad! Red Jazz was an OP we "pre-released" and it was so bad that in a strange way that precluded it catching on as a mediocre tomato that would drag our brand down.

Talvez is a hybrid. It is a solid medium-sized tomato. Seems to be very dependable and productive for most people and it has good flavor. But, not great flavor.

I have not tried Red Zebra in many years. In fact, I don't recall when/if I trialed it. Is there a Red Zebra line you consider to be the best? Seed Savers?
Mine do not look like Red Jazz; Red Jazz had plastic looking and feeling skin and were much larger. and more defined stripes when ripe. Talvez looks red when fully ripe.

I also want to know where to get the good/best Red Zebra tomato seeds?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote