Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2020   #826
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

I've been really impressed with Rosella, a dusty rose/purple cherry, that I'm growing for the first time this year. The taste is super, and I cannot believe all these flowers! Is this what a multi flora looks like? Wow, I hope there's enough season left for these to make fruit. I love to just look at this plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3919.jpg (314.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3920.jpg (328.4 KB, 254 views)
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2020   #827
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Here is a Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart. Isn't it funny shaped? It reminds me of the Flatiron Building or something.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2020   #828
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Here is a Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart. Isn't it funny shaped? It reminds me of the Flatiron Building or something.
That is definitely a bit weird!
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2020   #829
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

The last of my tomatoes from 2020 season went into a wonderful tomato, garlic and basil soup! It was delicious! *not uploaded photos on here before so hoping they show!* already dreaming of next years batches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 223AA4E6-7378-4A93-9D3A-5C389B716A0C.jpg (149.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 3BEBA60C-64D4-4520-B513-04B9FFFB3D8E.jpg (195.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 3D9CF1D6-71CB-4978-A6DD-C3140CA07628.jpg (217.9 KB, 201 views)
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2020   #830
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Nice photos!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2020   #831
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Happy Birthday, New Micros

A "welcome to the world" to the latest micro tomatoes who were born yesterday and the day before!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2021   #832
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

Default Pictures

Hello,

I'm new to the forum; but have been reading it for a couple years now. I post many pictures from my garden on Instagram, this year I have about 60 tomato plants, with about 1/3rd of them being dwarfs.

-Clay

https://instagram.com/thebipolargardener?r=nametag
OneStepAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2021   #833
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

what is your phone number and password to view those pics?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2021   #834
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

You'd use your Instagram login not mine... if you don't have one I'm not sure you can view it. Maybe I have it set to private I'll look.
Old June 29, 2021   #835
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I'd suggest posting some of the best pics here on tville, if you want people here to see them. That is what this thread is for, tomato plant pics on tomatoville. I'd like to see those dwarfs.
Old June 29, 2021   #836
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default Guess the correct number of tomato plants and win the prize

of satisfaction.

I think I'll have enough for salsa this year.

I pulled out a whole plant today that got lost...well, it somehow fell into the center of the one double row, and before I noticed it I had tied a co-dominant leader (the split above the first fruit truss) from a neighboring plant in its place. Since it lost its spot on the wire, I pulled it. At this point, very healthy plants with zero, exactly zero leaf spots noted. That will change with this week with the heat, I'd imagine. It always shows up by July.

I grew like this last year but let them go a little wild in some spots. It worked so well I knew I'd do it again. The wire is a bear to put up, but once it is up it is solid and no worry about fruit weight pulling it down or wind knocking it over. Last year I didn't have as many tomato plants to start, and a different black mulch had wider spaces as well. I had a lot of Big Beefs that were weighing in at 17-18 oz each, in those first couple trusses, and we made plenty of pizza sauce and soup.

This year I carefully and precisely planned to plant a more reasonable single row of tomatoes and a single row of peppers in each double. But my pepper starts were terrible and I didn't have enough. So...all tomatoes. FOUR rows. In preparation I picked up 20 lbs of nice bacon ends for $2.59/lb from the local butcher. I sort of wish I was kidding about that. I haven't used bacon in tomato sandwiches much in years. Call it an impulse buy?

I couldn't stop at 4 rows of tomatoes. Not crowded enough yet. I had to transplant daylilys and zinnia seed along the outer row.

This year, though, I am being strict. One leader per upright wire...that is, one stem every 6" for ~20ft...times 4. Nothing will be tolerated to grow into the middle. It is strictly verboten. I filled every hole through the plastic to start, and some had twins I just left together for one leader from each. I lost a few along the way and pulled that whole plant today to show them how serious I am.

"Them" includes Cuostralee, Estiva, Big Beef, Sweet Ozark Orange, Costoluto Genovese, Moskvich, my stupice trade mixup "Fauxpice", Black Krim, and of course, returning from retirement for 2021, the crowd favorite, Stump of the World!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95.JPG (408.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 96.JPG (346.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 98.JPG (451.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 99.JPG (378.7 KB, 69 views)
Old June 29, 2021   #837
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

I'd suggest posting some of the best pics here on tville, if you want people here to see them. That is what this thread is for, tomato plant pics on tomatoville. I'd like to see those dwarfs.
The issue with that is, I've been looking at this site for a couple of years now completely unable to view pictures, because it took that long to get an account working and verified. I think most people have Instagram these days. I'll stick to using that for pictures for now. I checked and my profile is set to public so anyone can see it. Thanks
Old June 29, 2021   #838
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

Here is a couple for you

Utyonok Dwarf (early determinate dwarf, may even classify as a micro dwarf mine are maybe 14" tall. This is from tville member Carol from Knapp's Fresh Veggies in Madison, WI.

And a short video here:

Suz's Beauty around 6/15/21 Zone 5b

Clay
The Bipolar Gardener

Last edited by OneStepAhead; June 29, 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old June 29, 2021   #839
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

Here is my indoor apartment dwarf tomatoes, just 2 for now. These are Hannah's Prize and Suz's Beauty. It got too hot at one point and the initial blossoms dropped. Gave them a dose of phosphorus and they are starting to flower again. I also just started some dwarf jackass green, dwarf awesome, and dwarf purple reign, but those will be my early winter harvest at this point.

Last edited by OneStepAhead; June 29, 2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old June 29, 2021   #840
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

My first dwarf project tomato is nearly ready, Saucy Mary. I was not expecting the plant to be 7-8 inches tall, with only three tomatoes set on it so far, still better than what I'm dealing with in the ground and bucket containers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucy mary.jpg (238.4 KB, 55 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote