Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 14, 2007   #1
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

Default borers

OK, last year, they got our Zucs. I have a lot MORE squashes this year (spaghetti anyone?). What can I use on the squashes that won't hurt the tomatoes? Sharp sticks only helped so much last year, we ended up losing ALL the plants to the borers. I want something with some staying power, but would prefer organic. I think having to spray after every rain may be a pain, but then again, last year there was a drought..... I think I'd just like to kill the little buggers. Will BT work on borers?

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Surround. It's a clay that you spray onto the stems of your squash plants to keep borers out. Also, you should bury the vines at several points to get them to root. Finally, some people inject BT liquid into the stems.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #3
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that's what I figured. I just got the catalog with the 25$ off cupon two days ago. I think I'll let them send me that one FREE!!

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

What catalog and coupon? I hate the SV borers too!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #5
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Gardens Alive. I get a catalog every year with a coupon $25 off on a $50 order. I order all my organic stuff with the coupon. I also ordered Green Step to deal with caterpillars.

Surround also will help with sunscald on tomatoes. It is supposed to be really good with cucumber beetles. I really got tired of that thing where they come and and eat up my corn, cucumbers, and winter and summer squash.

Google Gardens Alive coupon. About 10 different places have a $20 off a $40 order.

LoreD

Last edited by LoreD; March 19, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
LoreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Earl, I've already ordered the Surround to try out on the cukes and melons this year. I used a $20 off coupon.

As Lore indicated, if you go to one of those coupon sites, it will redirect you (with a referrer id so they get credit) to the Gardens Alive page. When you check out, look for the $20 discount to be applied against the total.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote