Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 18, 2018   #211
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Beets may be a problem in the hot, humid south. Beet greens might be all you'll be able to harvest. I just listed a few, along with lettuce, in the MMMM thread.
Not even close to as far south as I live.
Planting in the fall is the best what you get is very rewarding.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #212
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Default Lettuce

I've grown about 60 varieties, and my favorite is Muir,super slow to bolt ,if ever. I grow it indoors as well during the winter. This is my wife holding one head of romaine lettuce, I'm not sure what variety it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160706_175003-1-1.jpg (290.4 KB, 113 views)
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #213
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

And this is my daughter holding another head of romaine lettuce. We eat huge salads all summer long, I plant every other week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130710_175332_403.jpg (463.8 KB, 115 views)
Old December 19, 2018   #214
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
And this is my daughter holding another head of romaine lettuce. We eat huge salads all summer long, I plant every other week.
Holy Wow!

That’s an amazing lettuce head, you must feed it like your world record tomatoes!
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #215
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Holy Wow!

That’s an amazing lettuce head, you must feed it like your world record tomatoes!
Karen

For world record salads!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2018   #216
PlainJane

This year I’m growing:
Ruffled Soul (loose leaf)
Lolo Bolo (loose leaf)
Emerald (oakleaf)
Joker (crisphead)
Danyelle Red (oakleaf)
Australian Yellow (loose leaf)
Flashy Butter Oak
Flashy Troutback (loose leaf) *** favorite
Blushed Butter Oak
Black Seeded Simpson (loose leaf)
Old December 19, 2018   #217
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Yes,my wife says that I like everything that's big except for her,she's petite,therefore she's not allowed to gain extra weight, lol
Old December 21, 2018   #218
reubenT
Tomatovillian™

I have winter density in my unheated greenhouse now, along with a number of other salad ingredients. It's a good sweet romain, I end up just eating everything on site, not bothering to make salad.
reubenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #219
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My all-time favorite is Forellenschluss
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #220
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

That is a HUGE head of lettuce. It is the size of a broccoli plant.

Parris Island (Romaine) is my favorite where I live. I've tried a lot of the pelleted seeds too including Salanova.

This year I tried the mixed packets from Johnny's and Rareseed (Bakers); both fast germinators. Bakers gives ton more seeds though and young lettuce was ready to eat in < a month.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #221
Don S
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it gave me some good ideas for next year. I'm definitely trying Nevada.

I've been growing Freckles (or Speckles or Forellenschluss) for several years just for the variegated leaves. I can't seem to grow tall romaine varieties like they sell in groceries, though, mine just flop over, although the leaves are tasty.

I usually grow two red leaf varieties to liven up salads. Last year Red Salad Bowl and Rouge Grenobloise were disappointing. Low yield and early bolting. Although the props for Merlot in this thread were impressive, I decided to try Midnight Ruffles next year. Maybe Merlot in 2020?

My solution to summer bolting was Batavian Full heart Endive. Although a bit crunchier than lettuce, it survived the summer heat well. My spring planting was still producing leaves in September.

I've not had any trouble with slugs recently since I am now growing lettuce in aluminum gutters filled with grow mix and attached well off the ground on a fence. This seems to give pause to the chipmunks as well who used to munch at will on ground crops. You do have to water them more often, but it is worth it.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #222
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it gave me some good ideas for next year. I'm definitely trying Nevada.

I've been growing Freckles (or Speckles or Forellenschluss) for several years just for the variegated leaves. I can't seem to grow tall romaine varieties like they sell in groceries, though, mine just flop over, although the leaves are tasty.

I usually grow two red leaf varieties to liven up salads. Last year Red Salad Bowl and Rouge Grenobloise were disappointing. Low yield and early bolting. Although the props for Merlot in this thread were impressive, I decided to try Midnight Ruffles next year. Maybe Merlot in 2020?

My solution to summer bolting was Batavian Full heart Endive. Although a bit crunchier than lettuce, it survived the summer heat well. My spring planting was still producing leaves in September.

I've not had any trouble with slugs recently since I am now growing lettuce in aluminum gutters filled with grow mix and attached well off the ground on a fence. This seems to give pause to the chipmunks as well who used to munch at will on ground crops. You do have to water them more often, but it is worth it.
Great idea growing lettuce in an aluminum gutter. I fight snails in my garden but am so thankful we don’t have chipmunks in Florida. They are cute as can be but destructive in the garden.
Old December 21, 2018   #223
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default I want that shed

Quote:
Is that a She Shed? It is beyond cute!

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2018   #224
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! That is a chicken coop,racing Homer pigeon loft,and now it's the garden cottage, it's been moved to 4 different locations over the past 30 years.
Old December 21, 2018   #225
PlainJane

Quote:
Thank you! That is a chicken coop,racing Homer pigeon loft,and now it's the garden cottage, it's been moved to 4 different locations over the past 30 years.
Wow! It’s really lovely and in great shape.