Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 25, 2007   #1
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

Default watermelon hoax?

it was brought to my attention the other day of those who are growing watermelons...
ok here it goes ..
when i was younger i lived in arizona and we had trees that we had on a watering system because if you didnt have them watered enough they would die..
anyways we used to have the wells around built up with blocks and rocks to help support the walls for the water to stay next to the tree to soak in...
2 years we had to go away and went to school in another state we had put watermelons seeds in and hoped when we got back we would have watermelons ready to eat..
well they did grow well but found some of them hallowed out and a few animals had made themselves homes...
but did have one growing up a fence and half of the water melon saged out one side of the chain link fence and the other half was exactly the same size out the other side to make two perfect halves makeing it look like a melon on both sides to form like eyeglasses... tasted fine to me...
ok what brought this up was the idea we were talking about was that they had heard waltdisney was makeing make shift forms to grow their water melons in once they were big enough to go into these forms to continue to grow inside these forms to make perfect shape mickey mouse shaped water melons...
and also square melons... so is this form something that would have to be hard enough to hold the shape and capable of opening the form but does it have to be coated with some thing or?
so it wouldnt ruin the exterior of the melon?
has anyone heard of such a thing?
ok thx david dwlcrl

please leave your input... thx

Last edited by dwlcrl; March 25, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
dwlcrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #2
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I've heard of this, all you need is a clear glass jar that you can put the fruit into when it starts to grow. I've heard it done with cucumbers.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Google and ye shall receive.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...allery?index=6
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #4
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

Re: watermelon hoax?

I have not heard of the mickey mouse watermelons, however I am
familiar with the square ones and CNN did a report on it back in June
2001. I hope this article helps a bit

Heather

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/06/15/square.watermelon/index.ht\
ml
Old March 27, 2007   #5
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

how about something else that is in line with these molds...

Here are some interesting molds just in time for your summer season.
Too bad my climate isn't suited for growing curcurbits, I'd like to
try this.

http://www.caningshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MOULDCHINA&C ategory_Code=GRD-A&Product_Count=82
Old March 30, 2007   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

During World War II, my father was in both China and India. He used to tell me about the Indian melon growers putting their fruit inside wooden boxes made out of slats so the air would flow through. He said the reason for growing in boxes was so the melons could be stacked at the fruit markets. I imagine the square melon technique dates back even further than the 1940s.
Old March 31, 2007   #7
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

When I posted about these watermelons on another board, it was no hoax. They were selling in the Greater Toronto area last weekend for $49.95 a piece..I mentioned it cuz I thought it would be a fun item to sell at a market stand for anyone who was so inclined to grow them out this way.

There's all kinds of things you can do with thin skinned melons and cucumbers. Score your child's name into the skin and watch the letters expand as the cucumber does...Grow them in a bottle and give it as a gift..
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #8
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

Subject: FW: Mickey Mouse Melon Molds in Land Pavilion

David,
Thank you for your email and your interest in gardening at Disney. Your request for info about the Mickey-shaped forms was forwarded to me. I am one of the Horticulturalists who work at The Land at Epcot.
The particular forms you mention are not commercially available. In order to keep our pumpkins and watermelons that we grow here at The Land unique we have chosen not to market them. This way we can preserve the magic and keep them more special for the guests who visit us.
A few years ago I did see some similar type forms available on the internet, but I’m not sure if those vendors are still offering them. You might be able to track them down with a quick search.
We have tried our forms with tomatoes, but they do not work very well with soft skinned fruit. The fruit usually crack. The best things to try are plants with harder skins like melons, gourds, and pumpkins.
I hope this information was helpful. Best wishes with your gardening.
Sincerely,
Les Frey
Horticulturalist
The Land, Epcot
Old April 9, 2007   #9
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Here's a good one:

Old May 16, 2007   #10
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Howabout this one?