Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 23, 2007   #31
johno
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing Blacktail Mountain, Orangeglo, Moons and Stars (Van Doren Strain,) and Moons and Stars yellow flesh this year. I've never had really good luck with watermelons in the past, but I think I'm getting a handle on the reasons why (not.) My topsoil is classified as a sandy silt/loam, but the subsoil is red clay down to the limestone bedrock (which I believe to be 6' - 8' deep where my garden is...) It gets extremely dry here in the summer, and the soil gets powdery. I've been gathering lots of mulching material, and after reading this thread, I think it would be wise to deepen the topsoil where I'll be planting melons.

Any other advice on melon-soil?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007   #32
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Johno, I have the same question about soil for watermelons. I saw a small bag of sand at my local HD, and was wondering if I should buy it and add it to my clay soil. As far as I can tell, watermelons like sandy soil. Anybody have any ideas about the soil?

Also, this year I set up my lights and table to grow tomato seedlings. Should I plant my Blacktail Mountain seeds indoors and transplant?

Thanks for all your help....It's getting close for me

Janie
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007   #33
johno
Tomatovillian™

Be cautious about the kind of sand you add to your soil. Under magnification (or close inspection) sharp sand has jagged edges, which keeps more air space between the grains. Soft sand has been tumbled by water and has round edges, so it compacts more and doesn't drain as well. I made the mistake of using 'play sand' from a bag once; it doesn't have the intended effect...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007   #34
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Johno, how can I tell the difference? Will it say on the bag what "kind" of sand it is? Where should I get this sand?

Thanks
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote