Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2010   #16
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Darjones, Thank you so much for the offer! This is a generous group here at tomatoville, so as it happens I have already accepted an offer of seeds from elsewhere.

Given the number of varieties you have experience with, that you consider Christopher Columbus to be a dependable tomato for your hot conditions in the way that Heidi is carries a lot of weight. I am really looking forward to trying Christopher Columbus in the dry heat of So. CA.

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are to links to the site that sells Christopher Columbus seeds. Not knowing if this was the same variety I grew I went ahead and ordered a Pack. Upon receiving acknowledgement that my order was in the mail I sent a reply asking the individual the history of the tomato. Here is his reply.

Quote:
This heirloom tomato, although it has a new world origin, came from the Calabria Region of Italy and goes back many years as a natural unhybridized or cross-bred variety. History indicates that the tomato variety was brought to Italy from Spain.
Since the heirloom comes with a close relationship to its origin it is very susceptible to deceases, particularly fungus deceases. This can be controlled with early and continued spraying with a fungisidle treatment.
I guarantee that you will not eat a better tasting sun rippened tomato.
Good growing, Joseph Venier
Here are the links to the site where you can order the seed. Ami

http://connectjv.freeservers.com/

http://members.fortunecity.com/conne...umbustomatoes/
Old January 6, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting Ami.

The two sites are really the same and neither one is the one that I remember from several years back.

The question being, do I really want to be a member of the CC Society? I don't know. Maybe I could shed my Bookclub to open up some room.

If one reads Andy Smith's book on the history of the tomato, and it's well documented, it says that the tomatoes that the Spanish took back to Europe were yellow, and after that at some point red ones appeared and were taken to Italy by Spanish missionaries.

And he also describes the spread of tomatoes from S America, by the Spanish, to the many places elsewhere, such as the Caribeean, the Phillipines and more.

I just read a really interesting book about the three most important cities that were involved in the spice trade and long ago the Spanish were the first to be heavily involved and they travelled to many at that time exotic places in the East in that endeavor, then for many reasons it transferred to the Dutch and then eventually to the English.

There will always be stories about where a certain tomato came from with little documentation. Many years ago an Englishman writing a novel contacted me and wanted to know if tomatoes at a certain date were found in a certain place in Africa. His novel was about some shipwrecked sailors and he wanted them to exist on mainly tomatoes when they got to shore.

Edited to add that I just realized that those two websites are by Joesph, who had first wet up a website years ago to sell the seeds, but at that time gave no history as he has in the above two websites, or the info he gave you Ami. Good news is that the seeds are now more reasonably priced.
Old January 6, 2011   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that is Joseph's website. It is a bit updated and as noted above, his price is a bit more reasonable. Once you get past all the hype, they are very good tomatoes. I have no reservations about recommending them for most growers. Just take his hyperbole with a grain of salt, same as you would a tomato.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #20
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed Gleckler Seed is selling Christopher Columbus tomato seed this year.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2011   #21
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Great update Tom! It is good to see your daughters help with the garden. It brings back memories of my childhood. How did you like the Christopher Columbus paste tomatoes?

(Admin note - in reference to http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18849 (eg, Tom's blog updates) but copied to this thread for continuity of discussion.)
Old August 23, 2011   #22
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Christopher Columbus was immune to the heat, blight and wilt we have suffered this year. Wish I had planted more, but happy I have what I have. It is a great paste tomato, good tasting (for a paste) and very few seeds. Discouragingly few. Makes it a hard one to save seeds from. You really have to cut it apart, into small pieces, to find any seeds at all. Last year my biggest was 2.5 pounds. So far this year, just over a pound. Hoping the cold holds off so I get more.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2011   #23
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Darwinslair

Where can i buy Christopher Columbus Seeds?

Is it an Heirloom? If Not i still want to try it.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2011   #24
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

I got some from Suze here. Would have to do a search for somewhere selling them I suppose.

Tom
Old August 23, 2011   #25
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

O. K.

Thank you
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2011   #26
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Darwinslair

Where can i buy Christopher Columbus Seeds?

Is it an Heirloom? If Not i still want to try it.
Gleckler Seeds.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #27
Suze
Tomatovillian™

http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/-Past...90_529080.aspx
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #28
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

<laughing> they say only 6 to 8 ounces.

I dont think I have got one that small yet.

Tom
Old August 24, 2011   #29
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
<laughing> they say only 6 to 8 ounces.

I dont think I have got one that small yet.
Me neither - and I wonder if he meant to say 16-18 oz because that would also be more in line with the "that reach up to 6" long" part of the description.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #30
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I added it to my list to buy from Gleckler seeds, but I would like to be sure they are selling "true" Christopher Columbus seeds. Does anyone know the original source of Adam's seed?

I thought there was a thread on TV with all the people who sent seeds to Adam to restart the family business, but I haven't been able to find it. I guess I am not using the correct search words.