Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 18, 2012   #16
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

The fungus neither grows nor develops at temperatures above 32°C and is not thought to be pathogenic to humans. It has not been found to be toxic to rats in laboratory experiments and is not considered to be harmful to birds, honey bees,[10] bumblebees or a wide range of non-target arthropods.[3]
Wikipedia with reference.
Paecilomyces fumosoroseus is not a plant pathogenic
organism and does not produce significant detrimental
effects on beneficial insects, including bees and
bumblebees. The only residues derived from applications
of NoFLY are short lived spores, that should not present
any environmental persistence concerns in soil, water
or air. These characteristics make this product an ideal
tool for Integrated Pest Management Programs.
from http://naturalindustries.com/commerc....Brochure4.pdf
It should also be of mention that the fungus occurs naturally in Florida.
I believe the strain in question was isolated from Florida.
Organic Crops

NOP Approved:

This product is approved for organic production by the National Organic Program (NOP), a marketing program housed within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service, the agency that sets marketing standards. The NOP mission is to develop and implement national standards that govern the marketing of agricultural products as organically produced, to facilitate commerce in fresh and processed food that is organically produced, and to assure consumers that such products meet consistent standards.

OMRI Listed®:
http://www.certisusa.com/omri_certif...I_03012013.pdf

OMRI Certificate
Printer friendly PDF format
This product is OMRI Listed, therefore it is determined by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) to be suitable for use in certified organic production.

Of course this must be cleared by your certifying agency prior to application.

Again not really sure where you are going with this...if you feel uncomfortable don't buy don't apply...easy enough but for others this is an effective safe product.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #17
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have derived the info you gave me from the(and read) certusa product.Now a Nofly,mixing two products and strains.Please do not want to make a case study.Just made the point that it is not RECOMENDED for our water laden geography here in Florida,that is all. http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/MizellRF/W...g/register.htm

Last edited by kurt; September 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Note the mortality rate in chart for the certis product PRF-97
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #18
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

Default P.f.

In other words Kurt you wanted to be right.
Here is the thing Kurt all pesticide labels generally include the terminology you quoted.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi136
Please look at link from Univ of Florida.

Again the paecilomyces fumosoroseus apopka strain 97 was isolated from Apopka Florida! This I believe is close to many lakes and such.
Furthermore if you had comprehension of the life cycle of paecilomyces fumosoroseus apopka strain 97 you would be put to ease. Basically it survives only on the insect hosts or specially formulated growth media. It does not survive underwater. It does not survive over 32 degrees Celsius. It does not survive in low humidity.
Old September 18, 2012   #19
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

According to your link from Univ. of Florida you posted lists paecilomyces fumosoroseus apopka strain 97 as low mortality risk. However your study you cited defines low risk as below 50% mortality and no actual numbers are given. If you are trying to prove something you need to cite a more specifically accurate study. Still not sure what you are trying to prove.
Old September 18, 2012   #20
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I am noy tyring to prove anything.I do not live in Apopka Florida.I live in South Florida close to the Everglades.I do not use any pesticides.The stuff kills bees,aquatic species,and beneficials.I use beneficial insects on our property.I have a balanced enviornment here.I will go one step further,Certis is owned by a Japanese company Mitsui chemicals.The vice president of Certis is also the vice president of NAFTA.I do not like big agri.This will be the end of my discussion on this subject.I am not trying to prove anything.All I said was the stuff is not good for our enviorment here in the Everglades.
Old September 18, 2012   #21
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

It is naturally present in your environment. "The stuff kill bees, aquatics and beneficials" Please provide facts to backup your statements. You said allot of stuff and your batting very low in accuracy of those statements.

The microorganism Paecilomyces fumosoroseus is ubiquitous in many soils
throughout the world. P. fumosoroseus is not known as an aquatic
microorganism, and therefore is not expected to proliferate in aquatic
habitats. Moreover, Paecilomyces fumosoroseus is not considered to be a risk
to drinking water. Accordingly, drinking water is not being screened for
Paecilomyces fumosoroseus as a potential indicator of microbial
contamination or as a direct pathogenic contaminant. Both percolation
through soil and municipal treatment of drinking water would reduce the
possibility of exposure to Paecilomyces fumosoroseus through drinking
water. Therefore, the potential of significant transfer of residues of this
microbial pesticide to drinking water is minimal to nonexistent.
Provided the following statements are placed in the environmental hazards
statement, the risk of exposure to Paecilomyces fumosoroseus Apopka Strain 97 is
minimal to nonexistent to nontarget organisms including endangered species.
The following statements are required as Environmental Hazards labeling for the
end-use product:
"Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or to
intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate water when
disposing of rinsate or equipment washwaters."

quoted from http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_s...2_1-Oct-98.pdf
Old September 18, 2012   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I have derived the info you gave me from the(and read) certusa product.Now a Nofly,mixing two products and strains.Please do not want to make a case study.Just made the point that it is not RECOMENDED for our water laden geography here in Florida,that is all. http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/MizellRF/W...g/register.htm
I just clicked on the last link from Kurt and it does say PFR-97 (The product put out with this fungus in it) has a low incidence of mortality to beneficials, which is good, and is effective on whiteflies as well as thrips, spidermites, etc.
It was discovered in Florida by U of F.
I researched all the links above from both Kurt and DKelly, and I cannot locate where it says it is detrimental to our water table, although one of the links does mention it in a table with alot of pesticides, and has a warning about the watertable at the bottom, but it refers to being careful to evaluate a given pesticide for effect on the watertable, doesn't say this fungus can be bad in particular.
Kurt, can you please tell us where the info is on this fungus being harmful for our area and water supply?

I am intrigued to say the least! I do not want to harm our watertable , so I will try to find out specifically. I think, if all is OK after all with this fungus, I would LOVE to get some!!!
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #23
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Please read post 12 that comes from the MSDS from certusa.
Old September 18, 2012   #24
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

Standard label requirements link from U of Florida
Old September 18, 2012   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Please read post 12 that comes from the MSDS from certusa.
Yes I see what you are saying on the MSDS under 12 Ecological info. It does say only not to apply where there is surface water present or open water areas. my property is high so i don't think that will be a problem, no water around, and I am well above sea level.
I definitely see what you are talking about though.
I wonder why their other info on the PDF says no harm to bees or other beneficials right on it?
HMMMM
Old September 18, 2012   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKelly View Post
Standard label requirements link from U of Florida
So it looks like these statements on the MSDS are just the standard things they are suggested to put on anything that is used on land. But I think it doesn't mean that it is not true just because it is suggested standard language.
I need to do more research, but the other info I have seen so far specifically states it isn't toxic to bees and other beneficials, so now the water is the only issue i need to still have resolved.
I would love to make those lousy whiteflies REALLY sick!!!
Hate them
Old September 18, 2012   #27
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just use the whitefly homeade recipe I posted and you will kill them and it won't cost you much. Furthermore, it is only vegetable oil, dishsoap and water so can't be hurting much with that. I choose to use what works and it worked on my very bad infestation of whitefly and I only had to use it twice in a two week period.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #28
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, I will definitely use yours for 2 applications, and it is so simple that I can always do it. It is a lot of work to thoroughly spray the undersides of a hundred mature plants though.
I was hoping to have something like the fungus also because that self perpetuates. In other words it is ongoing and lasting.
Thank you for the recipe, at least it will stop them for now.
-Marsha
Old September 19, 2012   #29
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

Default pyrethrum

Made from a flower (Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium), pyrethrum is one of the safest ways to kill whiteflies. While bieng very safe for humans it is highly toxic to bee's and fish so do not spray your fish with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin

It also helps biocontrol by providing them a non-moving target...hint hint.
but alas it is probably made by some giant evil corporation who's CEO believes in world domination or something like that.
Old September 19, 2012   #30
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Rockporter, I will definitely use yours for 2 applications, and it is so simple that I can always do it. It is a lot of work to thoroughly spray the undersides of a hundred mature plants though.
I was hoping to have something like the fungus also because that self perpetuates. In other words it is ongoing and lasting.
Thank you for the recipe, at least it will stop them for now.
-Marsha
I'm glad you will try it for two applications but your infestation and mine might be different. You might need more than two applications. You might need to do spray twice in a week.

This stuff works by smothering the whitefly eggs and killing them off. If you spray and then you still have whitefly hanging around you will have more eggs, spray until the infestation is gone. I believe, but don't quote me, the eggs hatch once per week or so??

Just make sure you spray when the sun is going down and there is no chance of sunburn on your plants.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote