Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 18, 2007   #1
bully
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexican Sour Gherkin Cucumber

Well I guess it's not actually a cucumber but more of a melon.

I'm growing it this year and was wondering if anyone else was or has in the past.

I got the seeds from SSE.

Here is what they say:

Quote:
(Melothria scabra) Newly rediscovered heirloom. Produces abundant crops of 1-2" fruits that have the appearance of miniature watermelons, and fall off the vines when ripe. Sweet cucumber flavor, contrasted by a surprising sourness, as if they are already pickled! Great for growing on a trellis. 60-70 days.

here is how it looks in my garden

bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Wow! that is a very interesting variety. Be sure to tell us how they taste.

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I'll second what Duane said. Ami
Old July 18, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I just realized I've got seed for it, may be to late to plant.
Old July 27, 2007   #5
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Ive read they are ONLY worth eating after falling off ripe, might benefit from a groundcloth? I think Mother Earth News had a little blurb a year ago or so...?

they are SUPER cute. do they get the same diseases as cucumbers or squash? (yours look gorgeous Bully!)
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #6
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I have some of those growing too! They're tiny. I had read about waiting for them to fall off, but keep thinking I won't be able to find it when they do. Have you eaten one yet Bully?

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #7
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I grew them last year. I had saved some seed from a prior year and thought they might not be viable as the seed seemed small and thin....so I sowed them quite thick just in case.
They came up and produced and produced and fell off the vine everywhere.......so this year they are volunteering in my garden! Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #8
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

but how do they taste?
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #9
hunter
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating those things by the bowl for the last month. I really like them. Picked early and they taste pretty bland but crunchy and refreshing. Dead ripe and they have a definite zing!
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007   #10
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I grew those a few years ago and while they were very cute, I didn't think much of the taste They vine heartily so if you have something to cover, might as well try them. I'm not sure what I would use them for if I planted a row but I only planted a few seeds at the end of a row. You can't use them like cucumbers. What did you end up doing with them? Lori
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I got another small community garden plot and while clearing it, I found some of these tiny striped fruits on the ground under a dead vine. They look interesting and I'm planning to save some seed and grow them next year.

Has anyone else grown them? How did they taste, and how did you use them?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I got another small community garden plot and while clearing it, I found some of these tiny striped fruits on the ground under a dead vine. They look interesting and I'm planning to save some seed and grow them next year.

Has anyone else grown them? How did they taste, and how did you use them?
I grow them. Taste like cucumbers. But they are small. I use them in salads whole along with whole grape tomatoes baby carrots and baby micro greens and whatever lettuces etc....Very interesting and tastey salad. Always gets a comment when I serve it to someone new. I call it baby veggie salad.

Another way I have used them is pickled whole. Tiny bites of pickles suitable for salads or relish trays. Again also gets comments. I think because of the new fad of baby veggies and micro greens at the markets.

The one thing you have to watch is letting them get too ripe. Once they turn very dark green almost black, they take on a strangely unpleasant sweet "off" flavor and texture. I suppose some people might like them this way, but not me.

They are the only cucurbit I have been able to raise thay doesn't eventually succumb to squash bugs in my locarion. This is why I continue to raise them. Trying to crack the code of how to raise my other melons cucumbers and squash without pesticides. However, I haven't figured it out yet.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #13
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Melothria scabra (a.k.a. Mexican Sour Gherkin or Mouse Melon) several times over the years. They are not true gherkins, which are Cucumis anguria... MSG is just a name someone came up with for marketing. The vines, while heavily branched, seldom grow over 6' & are easily trellised. As you can see from the photo in the original post, the petite vines are fairly attractive. They take awhile to get started, so if I want to increase my chances of getting seed here, I need to start them early as transplants. This is not as hard as you might think; MSG will tolerate artificial lighting better than most cucurbits, grows fairly slowly as a seedling, and won't get too leggy. I start them indoors 3-4 weeks before I expect to plant them outdoors.

When the vines begin blooming, they will form a cluster of male flowers & one female flower at each new leaf node. Habitat, if you have seen Chayote in bloom, the flower structure at the node looks similar... just a lot smaller. As you can imagine, if you have a fruit at each leaf node of a well-branched vine, you will get a lot of them, so you don't need many plants. You need bees or other pollinators to get fruit; but given that, a single plant will self pollinate.

For me, the best use was to pick them young, while only 1/2" long or so. At this stage, they taste much like a fairly sour cucumber, and have quite a bit of crunch. Like Redbaron, I use them in salads, along with young West Indian gherkins, grape tomatoes, and radish pods. I didn't like the fruits when they reached 1" size, and IMO, they were horrible when they dropped.

The ones that drop are most often ripe, with fully developed seeds, so those are the ones to save seed from. To get seed, I allow those ripe fruits to sit indoors until they begin to soften, then cut them in half, squeeze them, and put them in a container to ferment. The process is similar to fermenting tomato seeds. When fermentation has freed the seeds from their membranes (which takes several days, depending upon temperature) I beat the mixture with a wire whisk to release the seeds, add water in a tall container, and float off the debris. The good seeds will sink to the bottom. Properly dried & stored, those tiny seeds will still have good germination for 8-10 years.

I'm really interested in the method used to pickle MSG, and the quality of the resulting product. That was one of the uses I originally considered, but my one attempt resulted in a semi-gelatinous product which was completely unpalatable. I have come to believe that the fruit I used at the time were over ripe, but I have not tried it again since.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #14
Iva
Tomatovillian™

I was just about to write a comment about this veggie, when I red through Zeedman's post and he allready confirmed my experience with it. I grow it every year and love it.
The only thing I resent them is that they start coming in quite late in the season, usually in September, when the temps drop down some.
But I still grow them as my beds are infected with Cucumber Mosaic Virus, so I can't grow other cucurbits with much success. These are really nice to munch on in the garden and are disease free...

I also pickled them and had some that were great and some that were too soft and 'soggy'. I think the over ripe ones were actually better. Should check that out again next year. I did like the taste though...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #15
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I will be growing these for these for the first time this year. I will be pickling the fruit and eating fresh as Baron described. 2 years ago my cucurbits did great...last year it was a horrible crop with everything succumbing to powdery mildew.

I really hope they thrive.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote