Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 24, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Jimmy Nardello and Joe's long Cayenne pepper

Started my Jimmy Nardello and Joe's long Cayenne seeds 2 days ago.I don't have a heat mat so I placed then in the east window in the morning and moved them to west window in the afternoon.This did not seem to keep them warm enough for my liking.I then moved them into the bay window facing south and closed the curtains trapping the warmth.I would think they are near 80 there.So I'll just watch and make sure they don't dry out.Never had luck the last 2 years I tried growing them but I started them in the basement where the temps are around 65 degrees.I also want to thank neoguy for the Joe's long seeds and yak54 for the nardello seeds he sent last year.

Last edited by cjp1953; March 24, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Try taking them away from the window when the sun is gone and putting them on top of a box or table near a heat duct at night. I'm figuring your heat is still running at this time of the year. Remember, they don't need sunlight until they sprout.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking of doing that,I have a table near the window their in and a heat duct right in front of it..Thanks.
Old April 12, 2017   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well after 20 days my Jimmy Nardello seedlings are doing very well.10 out of 15 plants are up.Joe's long Cayenne have done nothing.So I put 3 more seeds in the solo cups that I started the other seed that did not come up,then put them in plastic storage bags and put them on top of the computer tower where it seem warm air is blowing.Hoping the warmer room will help these get going and I will have a few that will germinate.I was thinking of planting them out in the garden the first week in June.Hoping there is still time.
Old April 19, 2017   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

After starting more Joe's long cayenne seeds in the cups that failed to germinate,I have 1 seed that came through yesterday.So under the lights it went with my sweet peppers and tomatoes.Got the other 2 cups in clear storage bags next to the computer tower staying warm.Maybe I might get a few more Joe's long cayenne yet.Will get a heat mat next spring for sure.
Old April 19, 2017   #6
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I only have 1 Joe's Long Cayenne plant. Thank goodness it's doing well. Have had
germination issues as well. Will save fresh seeds this summer if I like it.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking of saving seeds also.These were saved by a forum member last season and sent to me.He's only about 25 miles from me.What I read about hot peppers is they require heat to germinate.I'm going to get a heat may for next spring.Looking at the seed that did pop up.it isn't much right now.Hope it does as well as my Nardello peppers.
Old April 20, 2017   #8
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

interesting. considering a short grow season, would think you would sow pepper seeds in January. they seem to take a long time to grow for me and often buy transplants.

you need to put a grow light on your Christmas list, forget all this running around the house bidness...
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Well after 20 days my Jimmy Nardello seedlings are doing very well.10 out of 15 plants are up.Joe's long Cayenne have done nothing.So I put 3 more seeds in the solo cups that I started the other seed that did not come up,then put them in plastic storage bags and put them on top of the computer tower where it seem warm air is blowing.Hoping the warmer room will help these get going and I will have a few that will germinate.I was thinking of planting them out in the garden the first week in June.Hoping there is still time.
I had the opposite problem this year, Jimmy Nardello seeds did nothing and Joe's long Cayenne were among the first to germinate and are doing well. Go figure.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #10
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

here is a good deal on mat w/ dome kit and grow lights:

http://www.woot.com/category/tools?ref=w_gh_tg_5
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
interesting. considering a short grow season, would think you would sow pepper seeds in January. they seem to take a long time to grow for me and often buy transplants.

you need to put a grow light on your Christmas list, forget all this running around the house bidness...
Here in Zone 6 if I started my pepper transplants in January, I would have large transplants to babysit until plant out in mid to late May, I usually start peppers in mid to late March and that gives then plenty of time to grow to a good size. Super hots I would start in mid to late February, this year I'm not growing any of those, the hottest I'm growing are Habaneros.
The funny thing about peppers from year to year is germination time, some years everything comes up within a week or so, other years some come up and others take forever or not at all. This year Bell peppers took the longest to germinate. Other than the age of the seed, there's no rhyme or reason.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

This is my first time with these hot cayenne.Thought January would be to early to start and had no idea how long they would take.My Nardello peppers started on the 22nd of March are doing well around 3 inches.My tomato plants have over taken the peppers and they are 2 weeks old.Thanks for the information on the mat.I think with some heat and a mid March start again they should be good to go at the end of May.
Old April 23, 2017   #13
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Repotted my tomato and pepper plants today,had to set up another shop light and get new daylight bulbs.I have more than I can put out.Will give the rest to my daughters.I tossed out 3 tomato plants that were small and I tore more roots trying to separate the plants.I had 3 to 5 plants come up per 20 oz. solo cup.Pepper plants were easy to separate.Spent a long time with the tomatoes.Glad that's over.
Old April 24, 2017   #14
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I used styrofoam cups to repot my plants because of cost.I poked holes in the bottom and sides on the cup with the plants.Then I placed that into another styrofoam cup to catch the water.I watered them by placing water in the outside cup hoping the water would be drawn up into the cup with the plant in it.Did not happen.I checked on them and they were dry today.So I had to water from the top.I also used Jiffy seedling soil.It seems that it may have plugged the holes or I did not make them large enough.I used a philips screwdriver to poke holes in the cups.Next year I'll stick with solo cups.They were double the cost and I wanted to save some money.Never again.Live and learn.
Old April 30, 2017   #15
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

After potting them up in styrofoam cups they seems to look very bad.It seems they were not picking up water in the holes at the bottom and sides of the cups.I repotted them in plastic 20oz solo cups.The Jiffy potting soil does not seem to have much in the way of nutrients so I picked up some Miracle grow and used less than half strength.Full strength calls for 1 1/2 tbs spoon of MG to 1 1/2 gal.of water.I used 3/4 tbs to a gal of water.My pepper plants are full with 8 to 10 leaves and tomatoes are 5 to 6 inches high.They're not as green as they should be and some leaves on the pepper plants have a purple tinge to them.I have new daylight bulbs and they get 16 hours of light a day in the basement that is a 65 degrees.I put them outside today for an hour as temps reached 80 and gave them some sun then put them in the garage before putting them back under lights in the basement.I going to try and get them out everyday for a longer period to harden them off.Planting in 3 weeks for the tomatoes if the weather stays in the 70's and will wait with the peppers until June.