Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 7, 2015   #31
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Joseph,

I've grown SunSugar as well as SunGold for a number of years and since you like SunGold, you'll like SunSugar as well. And it seems to be more crack resistant than Sun Gold. I can't keep up with the requests for extra plants from people who love the taste of the "orange" cherry.

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #32
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

If high brix is what you want, I can second SunSugar.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #33
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
If high brix is what you want, I can second SunSugar.
I'm looking forward to tasting SunSugar. I want the following from my tomatoes:
  • High brix
  • Low Acid
  • Orange Fruits
  • Determinate
  • Promiscuous Flowers
  • 3 to 8 Ounce Fruits
  • Super Early Productivity
  • Entire yield produced in 70 DTM or less.
  • Great Growth in Cool Temperatures
  • Frost Tolerance
  • Vigorous Growth To Out-compete Weeds
  • Quick Germination
  • Large Seeds
  • Tolerance To Low Humidity
  • Not Prone To Blossom End Rot
  • Not Attractive To Colorado Potato Beetles
  • Fruits That Don't Sit On The Mud When Grown Sprawling

Then, after I get that far along, I'll worry about taste....
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #34
drew51
Tomatovillian™

The highest brix tomato I know of is Nectar, creams Sungold or Sunsugar. I grow it for my wife. I won't touch low acid anything. Give me acid or give me death. Yum!

Last edited by drew51; May 8, 2015 at 12:29 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #35
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
The highest brix tomato I know of is Nectar, creams Sungold or Sunsugar. I grow it for my wife. I won't touch low acid anything. Give me acid or give me death. Yum!
Drew, I just checked out Nectar and the person growing it got a 7.1 brix on sunsugar, got a 10.1 brix with Nectar and a PH of 4.7

I am definitely interested in this cherry tomato now thanks.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #36
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Well I'll confess. I like acid, but some low acid fruits I like a lot too.
I'm growing Nectar this year for the first time, for the wife, who wanted me to grow the Suns, I said let's try this one. Hope it is high brix as they say. I'm growing snow white and blue berries too for cherries. 11 other heirlooms and Big Mama hybrid.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #37
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Well, tbh I hated tomatoes my whole life. I started growing them just to make salsa which I am addicted to. I like most tomato based sauces but plain tomatoes I thought tasted horrid. Then I started growing heirlooms and I figured if I was gonna go to all the trouble I was dam sure gonna try to eat them, so I started trying them raw and I was surprised at the huge difference in taste. I tend to like high acid tomatoes more for some reason but it is hard to pin down really. I grew Brandywine and it was so bad I spit it out, ended up using them all for sauce instead but my Mortgage Lifter were fantastic. I am growing Sungold this year for the first time so we will see how I like it but I feel I will probably hate it as I do most "sweet" tomatoes.

Its really amazing how much peoples taste vary. My son loves cherry tomatoes but most of them make me gag a little. I will also admit that alota times I will grow a tomato just because its pretty to look at and if it taste bad to me it ends up canned as some kinda sauce or fed to anybody I can throw them at. I just enjoy looking at pretty tomatoes and seeing people's reaction to them that have never even seen a different colored tomato. I also like to grow varieties that others love to eat because it makes me feel good to see them so happy about something I grew. I'm just passionate about growing and tomatoes are beautiful, challenging and rewarding plants to grow and eventually I am sure I will find one that suits me perfectly. Thats what its all about right!?! Its like finding a needle in the haystack and I accept the challenge!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #38
loeb
Tomatovillian™

This is actually a very good thread that made me think more about my food preferences, thank you Joseph, especially for mentioning latex in lettuce. Green olives are disgusting and the extra virgin olive oil.. yuck, that stinging sensation.. Actually I learned to recognize that sensation in other foods after being absolutely sure that olive is not for me. I could find it in some tomatoes too. And I can smell a lot hm. I was working with little children and their taste is still very sensitive, so what I have learned, most of those likes or dislikes of food are more something like intolerance of something in it. And what usually adults do? Learn them to override their instinct. Quite foolish.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #39
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Interesting stuff. Joseph, I love all the foods you hate! I used to eat those green olives with pimentos by the jarful as a child. Although I would not eat fresh tomatos then :-) Figs and dandelions are only things I have come to like as an adult. And lettuce is better with dressing on it, no doubt. Perhaps you just have really specific taste preferences, I guess disliking bitter and acid things? In Chinese medicine, taste preferences indicate certain things about a person's constitution.

I once heard our taste buds change in our late teens, and then also in our 30s. At both of these times in my life, I started liking all kinds of new foods. I, too, have a very sensitive sense of smell - and was a picky eater when young, disliked lots of veggies, even Mom's organically grown ones. But I eat lots more things now.

I am told olive oils are rated on how many "coughs" they give you when tasting. More coughs is better.

Last edited by wormgirl; May 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #40
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

No, my Husband & Son are my official tasters. I only grow about 5 specific varieties for drying. I do not eat meat or fruit either...only bread, rice, fish and some diced Vietnamese hot pepper in my rice. No pasta, no sugar, no shellfish eggs or dairy (allergic to all.) And that is all I have eaten for about 20 years.
Old May 8, 2015   #41
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
No, my Husband & Son are my official tasters. I only grow about 5 specific varieties for drying. I do not eat meat or fruit either...only bread, rice, fish and some diced Vietnamese hot pepper in my rice. No pasta, no sugar, no shellfish eggs or dairy (allergic to all.) And that is all I have eaten for about 20 years.
My sympathy Brokenbar. That is tough. But what is in bread but not pasta that makes them different?
Old May 8, 2015   #42
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I don't like pasta Also, if it comes in a can, bag, jar or box, I don't eat it. The preservatives in commercially processed foods are lethal to anyone with an auto-immune disease (I have Systemic Lupus-34 years) Most of the food I do not eat is simply because I don't like it. To say I have "food Issues" is quite the understatement. Bread....I never met a bread I did not like!
Old May 8, 2015   #43
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Ahh. That makes more sense. Sorry to hear you are battling such a chronic and ugly illness. I wish you health and wellness! And, I could live without bread. I hardly ever eat it, but I bake it for farmers markets. I rarely bring it home.
Old May 8, 2015   #44
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have to come to believe that a lot of people's preference for foods are cultural, psychological and self suggested perceptions. I know and have heard many whom when you offer something, they would say "I don't like it". Asked them have you tried it ? they would say "No but I just don't like it".
It take time to develop a taste for certain foods. I personally like most ethnic foods, Asian,French, Italian, Indian ... you name it. Of course I have preference among those. Not every chinese o Mexican food is my favorite. There are some that I don't like, after trying them many times.
I have tried pineapple and strawberries many many many times but when I eat them they are not just to my taste.

Gardener
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had a guy the other day say he didn't like German food because he didn't like sauerkraut and potatoes.
That is a very stereotypical narrow minded backwards perception of German food if you ask me.
Almost insulting but considering the source it is to be expected.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote