Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 10, 2011   #31
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

Diamonte it is then. I am a little surprised because the Diamonte is outgrowing the other cukes (Divas.)
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #32
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

I can't spell it's Diamante not Diamonte.
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #33
fantoma
Tomatovillian™

I had great success with Garden Sweet Hybrids & Diva's.
fantoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had my first cucumber a Poona Kheera tonight at supper and it was delicious. My Diva's are starting to put on very small cucumbers so should have them in another two weeks. I will be setting out a couple of Sweet Success plants on Wednesday if the weather permits.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #35
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I had my first cucumber a Poona Kheera tonight at supper and it was delicious. My Diva's are starting to put on very small cucumbers so should have them in another two weeks. I will be setting out a couple of Sweet Success plants on Wednesday if the weather permits.
Ah, cukes - always one of my favorite vegetables in the spring and early summer garden. Red, you beat me by a day on the first cuke picked and eaten. I picked my first one on 4/13 - Poona Kheera.

Picked my first Diva today - PK and Diva are the only two I am growing this year. Taste comparison of the two - PK is still my #1 fav (and has been for many years), although Diva was very nice today too.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #36
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Suze I didn't get my Diva's in as soon as my Poona Kheeras so I'm still waiting on my first Diva. This is my first time planting Poona Kheera in the spring and I am really hoping they do well here. I grew a few last fall but got very little production because of the extreme heat.

I just set out a couple of Sweet Success plants this week. I have another type I think is called White Wonder and one lone Armenian. I did have a couple of Armenians planted along my chain link fence but my little dogs keep running over them and killing them while barking at the squirrels in the big oak tree next door.

I wish I could have cucumbers all summer but it is hard to keep them alive in the middle of the summer and difficult to grow them in the fall because of the whiteflies. I think I will start some more seed in a few weeks instead of waiting til my current plants are dying and see if I can plant a few among my tomatoes and just let them run up the trellis and the tomato vines.
Old April 24, 2011   #37
duajones
Tomatovillian™

PK and Diva are my favorite fresh eating cukes at this time. This year I am growing primarily County Fair as a pickler as it is my favorite for that use. The variety is no longer stable in my opinion based on my results the past two years.

I made several quarts of pickles last couple of years using PK and Diva both and people loved them. Not growing PK this year and that is a first since I started growing the variety. Kicking myself at this point because it is always early and productive.
Old April 25, 2011   #38
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My cucumbers started out great and the vines look good but since this high wind and heat the production has dropped to nearly nothing. The plants are still blooming and setting fruit but the cucumbers are growing so slow now. Usually this time of year they are making like crazy. I think we just need a good rain.
Old April 25, 2011   #39
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Bill

I dont know how much rain is a good rain but I have had 10.5 inches since last night. Wish I could send about half of it to you. I need a few days of good sunshine. Tomato plants standing in water but draining slowly. Hope all will turn out well.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #40
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Ron we got a little shower of maybe a quarter of an inch today so at least the plants got one slightly cooler afternoon but they are still forecasting 20 to 35 mph winds for the rest of the week. I'll gladly take 2 or 3 inches of that rain if you can push it on over here. In my beds that aren't mulched heavily I have been having to water every day just to keep things alive. It is amazing how fast raised beds will dry out in very high winds combined with high temperatures.
Old April 27, 2011   #41
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That little bit of rain has done wonders for my cucumbers and squash as well as making my recently planted tomatoes perk up.

Suze I got my first two Divas yesterday and as I suspected they were wonderful.
Old April 28, 2011   #42
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Bill

I sent you that rain by airmail, you should have received it early this morning. I tried to NOT send any of our tornadoes but sometimes they just tag along. Hope all is well with your garden.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2011   #43
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Ron the tornadoes arrived yesterday but thankfully north of me. Thanks for the rain. Now if I can just find some of my seedlings that left the tables and took flight yesterday.
Old May 13, 2011   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Burpee sent me a free packet of seed of a cucumber called White Wonder. I know why they are free. The texture is awful to me; kinda rubbery and chewy without a very good flavor.
Maybe they would be okay if I didn't have Poona Kheera, Diva and Sweet Success to compare them with. Oh well they will add to the compost pile.
Old May 14, 2011   #45
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Crystal apple, Richmond apple, True Lemon, Diva, Eureka.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote