Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 29, 2010   #46
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Guys,

Here are the labels that were in the containers:

Raybo

Well the pickling looks like a National Picking to me.
The other one could be a Burpee Burpless
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2010   #47
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks John, this information is helping me narrow down what I *may* have purchased.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2010   #48
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Marketmore, SRM 58, Armenian,
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #49
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

So far I only have Delikatessa started. It did not do well for me last year, but I believe it was due to poor soil. Poona Kheera did pretty well, and I have seeds still for it, but doubt I'll grow it. Taste-wise it was just ok for me. But then again, maybe I'm not a great judge of cucumbers because I can usually take them or leave them. I do want to try Delikatessa again, to see how it tastes. Not sure I even had one cucumber from it in 2009.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #50
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Just had my first two Rocky cukes today. They arent very big, about a 1/2 inch by 3 inch but they made for a great 'mini' breakfest out in the garden this morning. This variety will be great for baby pickles if it lives up to the producton hype.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #51
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's early for me here. I will be growing Chelsea Prize (English cukes) and Green Fingers (baby Persian). I've grown Chelsea Prize for a few years now and really like it. Grew green fingers for the first time last year and it was good for a small cuke. One cuke is like single serving size for a salad.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #52
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Cool Breeze, Diamant, Little Leaf H-19 only in the greenhouse right now and they all have flowers. A prayer for my cukes would help. My backyard is the he$$hole from where all cucumber beatles come from and they devour all my stuff before moving on to other gardens. I also have a cloud of cabbage moths circling my backyard all summer, like a flock of buzzards.
Old May 8, 2010   #53
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Just planted my seedlings last weekend, though this year, I'm changing varieties a little...

In the part of VA where I'm at, we usually can grow cukes from early spring into lat July-early August, all kind of DZ, mildew mostly... So this year, trying something different:

Bostom Pickling (all time favorite)
Homemade Pickles (another one we like)

In favor of DZ resistance - trying these for the first time:

Classy Hybrid
Calypso
Diamant Hybrid
Eureka
Gurneys Burpless
Wautoma

Then, in July will start few more seeds for succession planting, only those which look better in terms of survival of results of high humidity (if any, I hope at least 1 or 2 from the list)

Will see how these varieties perform (I hope they do, since I gave up the good ole' dependable Poona Kheera, and not growing Lemon cuke (this one we mostly used in cooking, not personally favor it for the fresh flavor, but my, is it a production monster!!!)

Happy growing to all!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #54
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

My Diva wasn't terribly productive because it was a winter/greenhouse plant that I transplanted to my raised bed from a very large container, so I started 2 more 3 weeks ago and now they're ready for the garden. In the meantime, I've been letting some of my 'Vertina' and H-19 Little Leaf cukes grow a little bigger so I can eat them fresh. These two varieties are monsters! I'm having trouble keeping up with up with the production. I've been picking twice a day for the past week, so I guess Summer is officially here for me! I've already made two cases of pickles in quart jars. here's a recipe for Kosher Dills that makes me the crispest most flavorful pickles I ever made:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/Re...l.aspx?RID=193
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #55
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Poona Kheera and Cool Breeze are pretty much done. County Fair is still producing and Diva just began flowering recently as I planted it out late. It will be interesting to see how it sets in the heat
Old June 4, 2010   #56
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Richmond Green Apple
Crystal Apple
Lemon
Dragon's Egg
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #57
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I had never heard of dragon's egg before. Had to look them up. They look cool! Have you grown them before? If so, how are they?

I've grown the Richmond Green Apple and really liked them. Very prolific.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #58
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

totally new variety to me too. I got some just to add to my apple shaped cucumbers.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #59
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Duane....,
Our climates are similar. Are your cukes done for the year,i.e. do you grow through the summer, if so, what? Mine die off in the heat and humidity and I've yet to be successful with a follow on crop.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #60
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am pretty much where you are at with the exception of Diva, which I planted too late. I have harvested 3 small cukes off of it so far. Have to wait and see how it ends up doing as it has always been a bit of a slow starter for me. Usually starts cranking them out once it gets going though