Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old September 11, 2013   #46
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Aluminum "foils" SVB, for me.

Although, this year I didn't use it in the garden. The squash were all moschatas. One out of fourteen varieties was hit, but that one still survived to produce one tiny squash.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2013   #47
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Will try the foil next year too. So much for the common wisdom that the adult lays eggs for a short time.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2013   #48
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Update to Partenon Squash and pop tent: I have been amazed at how well the Partenon has produced in the tent - no squash borers and constant production. Next year I will try Cavili Squash as well because it is supposed to produce even more. I really like the tent system. Eggplants did not do as well but their placement was poor and I think it got too dry for them. Cucumber seedlings died before they ever got going so will have to put them somewhere else. But for squash it is the only way to go around here even if one is limited in variety.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #49
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Chris,

Tear off a (roughly) 12" x 12" piece.

From the middle of one side, cut the foil to the center of the square.

Open the cut wide enough to slip the foil around the stem, so the stem is at the end of the cut at the middle of the square.

Overlap the cuts, and work the foil so it is snug to the stem and raised up about 2" also at the stem. It should look like a little vocano.

A small amount of soil over the foil just at the outer base keeps the wind from moving it.

Gary
Tormato (Gary)...I'm a very visual person, so my apologies, but do you have a photo of this "aluminum foil on squash stem" technique? Or a link to a photo?

And although this thread was started due to squash vine borers attacking your crop Unless...I've found it really informative with everyone's postings so far...Thanks

Last edited by Alfredo; September 12, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #50
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato
Aluminum "foils" SVB, for me.

Although, this year I didn't use it in the garden. The squash were all moschatas. One out of fourteen varieties was hit, but that one still survived to produce one tiny squash.
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me -- either I got it on too late or I did it wrong. Maybe try it again next year.

Hmmm, that concerns me that a moschata got SVB. I thought they were immune. I wonder if you should plant at least one type of non-moschata as a sacrifice? I would be concerned that over time if they can attack moschata that they could adapt to be able to attack them all?

Chris

Last edited by crmauch; September 12, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: editted for content
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #51
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I can't help but wonder if there is some other host or method they use to reproduce when optimal squash plants are not available.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #52
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

They will lay eggs on cucumbers, as well, and they hatch and bore into the stem just like a squash. Evil moth!!
Old September 12, 2013   #53
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I never had them in my cucumbers. Hope they STAY AWAY.
Old September 12, 2013   #54
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering about the foil thing too. There usually are a lot of stems growing near the bottom and it's hard to wrap that area unless you cut them back.
So, cut them back?
Old September 16, 2013   #55
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me -- either I got it on too late or I did it wrong. Maybe try it again next year.

Hmmm, that concerns me that a moschata got SVB. I thought they were immune. I wonder if you should plant at least one type of non-moschata as a sacrifice? I would be concerned that over time if they can attack moschata that they could adapt to be able to attack them all?

Chris
I've found moschatas to be "resistant" but not entirely immune. Very rarely do I have a moschata attacked, and it's always a smaller weaker plant that gets hit. SVB never kills the plant. I've had butternuts where the SVB killed the first 3-5 feet of stem, but it kept growing and putting down roots at the nodes. The neighbor couldn't figure out how the first 5 feet disappeared, but there was 12-15 feet of healthy vine out on my lawn, looking detached from the garden bed.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2013   #56
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I've found moschatas to be "resistant" but not entirely immune... I've had butternuts where the SVB killed the first 3-5 feet of stem, but it kept growing and putting down roots at the nodes.
So those of us who like to train our vines vertically, we'd still lose our vines.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2013   #57
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
So those of us who like to train our vines vertically, we'd still lose our vines.
Yup, I got to personally experience this, this season. My Greek Sweet Reds DID finally overcome the problem, but they looked like they were a'goners not once, but twice. One of my Butternuts made it, too, but the rest just plain couldn't overcome the Dreaded SVB.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote