Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 15, 2013   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

TMS must be started early, and transplanted (gently). It's somewhere about 120-140 DTM. These long DTM squash that supposedly aren't good for my area do better than the shorter DTM ones.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've decided to give it a try after I pull the garlic. I figure unless the garlic is unusually late this year or we have an unusually early frost, I stand a more than 50% chance of getting some ripe ones. What have I got to loose, except for a few bucks on seed?

I placed what I think is my third (!) order this winter with Seeds of Italy (growitalian.com) this morning, and of course I came up with a couple of other things I just had to try. After all, if you're going to pay the postage for one seed pack...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #18
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default How is everyone's Squash growing?

Hello Tomatovillians,

How is everyone's winter squash growing so far? Any updates?

Mark did you grow the Butternut Rogosa Violina Gioia after all?

~Alfredo

Last edited by Alfredo; August 17, 2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #19
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Alfredo,

I signed up for a plot at a second Community garden and planted the Butternut Rogosa Violina seeds there. It was growing fine, but I soon found out there is a wildlife problem at this Community garden. Either the deer or woodchuck kept eating all of the leaves off of the vines. About two weeks ago, I pulled the vines because I knew I wouldn't see any squash from those plants before frost. I will probably give it another try next year (using a fence to protect my plot).

Hopefully Father'sdaughter had success growing it and will post about it.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #20
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Ah ok Mark... grrr garden pests...
~Alfredo
Old August 17, 2013   #21
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Butternut Rugosa and Burpee Butterbush and they're taking over one side of my garden plot! They're already growing around and through the lavender. Every time I visit, I tuck a few more tendrils back into the plot. They haven't dared into the territory of the Burpless cukes, though, which are taking over from the other side and climbing the tomato cages.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #22
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Yeah habitat gardener, squash always tries to grow where you don't want it to...I've already had to detach my Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash twice off of my Golden Euonymus Bush.

~Alfredo
Old August 18, 2013   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I put out three plants in early July and they are also taking over. We just got back from a week away and I found a few baby squash today when I checked the garden!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #24
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have had poor results from my winter squash planting this year. Last years planting location did fair but this year the plants have done nothing. I planted violina rugosa in two tires this year where nothing happened last year and wonder of wonders, I actually have two VR squash coming along.
gardening can certainly be humbling.

jon

Last edited by peppero; August 19, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #25
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I planted 2 mounds of the rugosa, so far, I have two large squash than are ripening, hoping for a bit more. The last time I grew it, I planted way too much, now I think I planted too little.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote