Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 13, 2018   #16
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I would love to do something on a small scale when I retire. Maybe just set up and sell plants at a couple of sales in spring and/or a small parking lot market for my extra veggies in the summer. I admire the work you must put into this to do it on a large enough scaled to make it a full time job, for little money. You guys rock. I love my local farmers markets.

If this is something your really thinking about, and you see it in your near future, I would highly advise that you start making contacts with the folks who run Mkts. that your considering.

Better then waiting until you have your harvest and trying to figure out how to get rid of it.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Only the black market.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018   #18
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Only the black market.

Worth
A man has to make a living..
Old March 13, 2018   #19
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have 10 years left until retirement, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, 85 miles is a haul. Takes close to 2 hours each way with my old trucks. But it's the biggest and was the best market in the state. 120 - 160 vendors every Sat. And a bigger variety of stuff than any other market. It's still a good market but since every little town now has some kind of market, it doesn't get the traffic it used to. It's still better than any others I could do instead.

Yah, we have some markets like described with rules out the wazoo. Mine have enough rules but at least don't limit competition like some others do. I tried to get in another market but I had too many things like a couple of others already there so they never even got back to me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #21
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I have 10 years left until retirement, lol.
That 10 years will be up, before you know it. If its possible, depending on your work schedule, you might go ahead and get started. Even if you can attend a Market, lets say once per month, it gets your foot in the door. Then when you retire, you will already have the advantage of being established, and you can ramp up production. If you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Yes, 85 miles is a haul. Takes close to 2 hours each way with my old trucks. But it's the biggest and was the best market in the state. 120 - 160 vendors every Sat. And a bigger variety of stuff than any other market. It's still a good market but since every little town now has some kind of market, it doesn't get the traffic it used to. It's still better than any others I could do instead.

Yah, we have some markets like described with rules out the wazoo. Mine have enough rules but at least don't limit competition like some others do. I tried to get in another market but I had too many things like a couple of others already there so they never even got back to me.

Carol

That irritates me. "You'll hear from us"... yeah, right. I know what that means.

I can understand a Market having some basic rules. I got that. But when they start wanting itemized lists, etc. Thats just too much. Matter of fact another Market I know of, that I looked into at one time, went belly up. Then the person who runs it, moved the location and came up with a new name. Im sure its ruled the same way.
Old March 14, 2018   #22
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
Gotta keep producing. Remember, grass is a waste of space.

When I first started selling, I only had the the 1 Market as a viable option. In the last couple of years my options have certainly opened up.

At this point, I would definitely consider what I do, full time.
No grass left, just huge trees shading the rest I will get them dropped eventually but at the prices people want to do it I need to sell a lot more tomatoes first.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #23
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
No grass left, just huge trees shading the rest I will get them dropped eventually but at the prices people want to do it I need to sell a lot more tomatoes first.
In the mean time, raise shade lovers! Coleus, Impatiens, Dahlia..
Old March 14, 2018   #24
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Just as a matter of curiosity, it will be interesting to see what kind of attendance the weekday (and evening) markets have.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #25
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity, it will be interesting to see what kind of attendance the weekday (and evening) markets have.

I agree entirely. I have never sold at a weekday, or an evening market so this would be new territory.
Old March 15, 2018   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

From my experience, most weekday markets are really doing great if you do about 1/2 the business of a Sat market. Many don't even do that. Those that I've done depend on the office lunch break for much of the business. But because they are going back to the office, they generally won't buy in bulk like at a Sat market.

I haven't personally done any of the evening markets or the "going home" markets (3-7 type hours) but from what I can see, if the market is on a road with good traffic, you MIGHT do OK. But too many I've seen are tucked away in a park somewhere where only the locals will know about it. I don't think those will work out too well.

JMO,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The costs of slip and fall liability insurance go up all the time, which is why so many markets are on city property. The government is immune from slip and fall lawsuits, so they don't have to buy the insurance. Unfortunately, city-owned property is unlikely to be prime commercial property as well. It is much more likely to be "tucked away in a park" like you said. The other market I attended was one of those, well-hidden indeed. We even closed at 6 pm, to make sure to keep away any customers who had to work until then. I called that place "the hidden market." It was a well-kept secret.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #28
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
From my experience, most weekday markets are really doing great if you do about 1/2 the business of a Sat market. Many don't even do that. Those that I've done depend on the office lunch break for much of the business. But because they are going back to the office, they generally won't buy in bulk like at a Sat market.

I haven't personally done any of the evening markets or the "going home" markets (3-7 type hours) but from what I can see, if the market is on a road with good traffic, you MIGHT do OK. But too many I've seen are tucked away in a park somewhere where only the locals will know about it. I don't think those will work out too well.

JMO,
Carol
You bring up some valid points. I guess its all touch and go, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The costs of slip and fall liability insurance go up all the time, which is why so many markets are on city property. The government is immune from slip and fall lawsuits, so they don't have to buy the insurance. Unfortunately, city-owned property is unlikely to be prime commercial property as well. It is much more likely to be "tucked away in a park" like you said. The other market I attended was one of those, well-hidden indeed. We even closed at 6 pm, to make sure to keep away any customers who had to work until then. I called that place "the hidden market." It was a well-kept secret.
Interesting. Sounds like it was doomed from the beginning?
Old March 16, 2018   #29
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Well things have changed a little. Although its not set in stone, im still considering my options. I did find out that the Wed PM Market will not be running this year. But I did find out about a newer Market that runs Thurs. evenings.

I was offered to be introduced to the folks who run it, but I havent accepted, or declined the offer, yet.