Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 19, 2013   #1
txhydro
Tomatovillian™

Default tomatoes in SE Texas

Has anyone grown floradade, rutgers, kewalo, homestead, or czech bush tomatoes in the SE texas area?

I am currently building a 12x32 foot greenhouse with a 5 foot sidewall, using cattle panels for support of the plastic and shade cloth.

I am also building 24 inch tall raised beds that will have plastic/shade cloth coverage to control the rainfall to keep cracking to a minimum.

Thanks,

--Kev
txhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2013   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Rutgers in the East Texas area. I did not do anything to protect them. Thinking about putting frame around my raised bed and putting up shade cloth next year. I did get some sun scald.
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I grew Homestead last spring here near Houston. It did very well in a south-facing location but burned up by June. Very nice tomato, in my limited experience! Pretty, smooth, tastes like a tomato, looks standard enough that people who are not into heirlooms don't object.

None of the tomatoes I had in full sun did well over the summer and only a couple plants survived. The fall ones all melted pretty much as soon as I put them out.

Will you be heating the greenhouse and/or using it over the winter? I'm planning a small scale hoophouse for over one of my gardening areas, just to see what kind of plants I can overwinter.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote