Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 22, 2018   #16
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Going to read now.

We got missed by the frost so I still have time to bring a couple in!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018   #17
clara
Tomatovillian™

Last winter, I overwintered a pepper from the Philippines in the living-room on a windowsill - without any artificial lights. I had started the seeds end of February after my holidays, so it wasn't overly large when I put the plant indoors (I grow everything in containers). It lost some leaves probably due to the hot air coming from the heater under the windowsill, but survived and even started to produce blossoms before I could put it in the garden again. I also had a few ripe peppers, very welcome because I like hot dishes. When it was in the garden again, it really exploded and was my best pepper producer this season. I'll try to overwinter it again although now, the plant is much larger. But I think it "deserves" another year...

For those of you who like to know which variety it is: High Fly Pepper F8. I've sent seeds for it to the MMMM.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018   #18
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

For the next year i start to Overwinter 8 peppers, they will sit in a balcony where the temperature does not drop below 5-7 Celsius degrees, i do not need to produce over the winter, the goal is to keep them alive until Spring

I have:

2 Bulgarian Carrot
3 Naples long peppers
1 Naples round pepper
1 Jimmy Nardello (A sweet one - experiment)
1 Yellow ornamental hot peppers (small one whit peppers have already 1 year of overwintering)

Do you have experience whit overwintering sweet peppers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44805144_332676120874962_3983054259724746752_n.jpg (526.5 KB, 48 views)
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018   #19
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I'm in on the experiment this year.

I pruned 5 healthy looking cheese pepper plants. Rinsed their roots and planted them in half filled 5 gallon grow bags. (Where did my 1 gallon pots go?)

They are already a bit woody and remind me of bare root stock trees I get. Hopefully I'll have a cheese pepper tree this next year!
Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote