Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26, 2021   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default double-bucket swc recovery?

Hi:

How long does it take for the tomato to recover following a transplant into double-bucket style self watering container (e.g. global bucket) ? Maybe I'm just jumpy and overly cautious due to the failure of our tomatoes in the ground garden, the tomatoes one week after transplant don't look as I would expect them to.

Here's the story:
Last weekend, we assembled a number of double buckets, with the following 1:1:1 mixture: peat moss, gardener's orchid seedling bark, and #2 perlite. Net pots packed with soggy peat moss. Buckets filled about 1/3 of the way with moist mix, then mixed in 1 cup of espoma dolomite lime into remaining mix, and filled most of the bucket. Put a 1.5 cup ring of espoma tomato tone, then covered the rest. Dug a little hole, mixed Mykos into the hole and transplant roots, put the tomato plant into the hole, covered 1-3" bark chips, and watered with a seedling dilution of the 3-3-5 agrothrive product.

The mix is still very wet and reservoirs haven't gone down much. Tomatoes leaves are v-shaped, purple veins, and the color is not a lush green but rather very dark green. The coloring in pictures look a little better than in real life, sorry about that.

I hope this is normal. If not, anything I should do? Will they begin looking more normal with another week or two? I plan to give another drench of agrothrive next weekend, then stop with the fertilization and let the stuff do its own thing.

PS: this soil mix feels like it has way too much perlite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early girl side.jpg (155.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg early girl top.jpg (129.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg bark example.jpg (146.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg dry 1-1-1 mix.jpg (355.7 KB, 147 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote