Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old May 21, 2011   #16
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

I am growing a PL red brandywine this year. I understand that it is a decent tomato but can anyone who has grown it tell me if it tastes at all like the real RL Red Brandywine?

Is it any earlier or later than RL RBW?

Related fun fact: I bought a plant locally that was labeled Pink Brandywine but was RL. The write up on the card said "Potato Leafed". I bought it knowing it didn't match the label hoping that it was Red Brandywine (my 1st attemp at seed starting has not gone very well so purchased plants for insurance). I even called the nursery who was aware of the RL/PL mismatch but said that they were growing one out for themselves and first fruit appears to be a beefsteak (slightly ribbed) and they suspect it will be pink. I am still hoping for a Red Brandywine or at least a good tomato.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I can say that Cowlicks is probably one of the tougher Brandywine strains because it grew and produced here in my garden and even survived TSWV for nearly 2 months while still putting on fruit. This year I have for the first time in 5 attempts gotten fruit set on a Brandywine Sudduth's. Usually it died before fruit set in my garden. I am also growing Brandywine Terhune and OTV. They have both set fruit but the OTV is not looking too good nor has it set more than a couple of toms.
I hope they all survive so I can taste some vine ripened Brandywines of different strains and compare the taste. So far Stump of the World is still on the top of the list for large pink tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I can say that Cowlicks is probably one of the tougher Brandywine strains because it grew and produced here in my garden and even survived TSWV for nearly 2 months while still putting on fruit. This year I have for the first time in 5 attempts gotten fruit set on a Brandywine Sudduth's. Usually it died before fruit set in my garden. I am also growing Brandywine Terhune and OTV. They have both set fruit but the OTV is not looking too good nor has it set more than a couple of toms.
I hope they all survive so I can taste some vine ripened Brandywines of different strains and compare the taste. So far Stump of the World is still on the top of the list for large pink tomatoes.
Bill, there is absolutely no evidence that Terhune is brandywine as Tom, who is the originator of this variety has said. He found it in the back yard of an elderly lady whomoved away and whom he could not contact, so knows nothing about it at all other than its a large pink PL beefsteak. I'm also growing it this summer, seeds from Tom, but Craig, who raised my plants for me found both RL and PL seedlings from Tom's seeds so went just with the PL for me, which it's supposed to be.

Too bad OTV Brandywine is not doing better for you b'c for most folks in the south it does much better than Brandywine strains, although OTV Brandywine is NOT a strain of Brandywine at all. I've gone thru the background on that one and would be glad to do it again if you'd like me to.