Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2021   #16
walt456
Tomatovillian™

White: none

Green: Humph. Hands down my favorite tomato of any color. Don't let the boring name fool you it's an awesome tomato.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2021   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
My favorite green slicer is Aunt Ruby's German Green. I like Lucky Tiger better than Green Tiger. I'm biased because I worked on it, but Dwarf Numbat is my favorite dwarf green. Fantome du Laos is a nice medium sized white, as is Wapsipinicon Peach (with an added bonus of a slightly fuzzy skin). I also second Dr. Carolyn and Snow White cherries - both tasty, and both prolific producers. Oh, and Green Doctors Frosted!
I 2nd ARGG. I grew couple of other GWR like Copia, Green Zebra.
But ARGG is the one I like best. It is productive, nice size and
on the sweet side.
I also like and grow ANANAS NOIRE . It is actually
a multi color, GREEN, YELLOW, ORANGE. IT LOOKS AWESOME
when sliced and tastes good as well.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2021   #18
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I am as bad as those who like round, red, pretty commercialized tomatoes...GWR and white tomatoes just turn me off and no matter how hard I try it just isn't right to to be eating a green or white tomato. There must be something wrong or they wouldn't be like that.

The first time I took an older brother-in-law some Cherokee Purple and Carbon tomatoes, he waited until we left and then he promptly threw them away because he thought they were rotten and told his wife that as a gardener I didn't know anything. Even the red ones were shaped funny (hearts) and probably mutated or full of radiation.

So I know GWR and whites are OK (even helped on a couple of the dwarfs) but I just have an aversion.
Old February 28, 2021   #19
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about GWR & white tomatoes. I can relate to your comment. I've been growing tomatoes for a very long time and never grown a GWR tomato because of my personal bias similar to what you mentioned. But that is going to change this year when I sow my Green Giant seeds for the first time. For me my bias comes from my ignorance about GWR tomatoes. I think I'll eat my first couple blind folded so I'm not influenced by what I see. Reminds me of a similar story about red peppers. I once took some of my best & sweetest red peppers to a friend and told her & her husband that these were very sweet peppers. A week later I asked how they liked them and found out they threw them out cause in their mind all red peppers were hot. So I think I am also biased about different colors of tomatoes in a similar way. Hopefully I can break my prejudice & bias by educating myself & not limiting myself to my favorite type of tomato which is a pink beefsteak. Ignorance is not a good thing and hopefully I'll be a little less ignorant by the end of the 2021 growing season.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2021   #20
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka is the best of the best GWR.
No white is good enough as for flavour for me.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021   #21
meagain
Tomatovillian™

White Tomesol - Last year it was the best tomato I've ever had in my life. Brought tears to my eyes. So balanced, smooth, big flavor - just insanely great. I will always grow this and am befuddled why others aren't.
meagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2021   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

White: Dwarf Mr. Snow
Green: Captain Lucky and Green Gables

GG tastes exactly like Cherokee Green!

Yak, I find it hard to break prejudices and, although Green Gables was the perfect tomato and tasted excellent, I simply didn't find myself reaching for it much, so most of mine ended up in sauce .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2021   #23
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Found this thread when looking for comments on white tomatoes. I've come to the GWR and white tomatoes somewhat recently having mostly grown the more colourful varieties (blacks, bicolors) for many years.

This season I grew Lucky Tiger and Green Ripper. Lucky Tiger varied this year from what I observed last year--both times I got the seeds from Artisan Farms. This year's fruit developed almost no reddish blush as it ripened, and I preferred the taste of last year's fruit which I thought had a clear sweet streak right through the core, which was mostly missing in this year's fruit. Both years the plants grew tall and were loaded with fruit, which unfortunately tend to split. As I liked the taste of last year's fruit so much I grew it again this year, but I'm not sure I'll grow it next year.

Green Ripper was new to me this year; seed from J&L Gardens. Fruit were mostly green when ripe but developed some red/gold striping. Very pretty with a little pointy end to the fruit, and quite tasty.

And then I grew a white tomato from seed I obtained from a seller called Forgotten Heirlooms. This had the irresistible name of Bugtussle Buttermilk Wonder. I have not seen this in any other reference and wonder if anyone on the forum has grown it before. It's a white medium beefsteak tomato that has just a pale yellow tint when ripe, nice firm texture and a well balanced, sweet, rich flavour that took me by surprise. It was one of the tastiest of the two dozen varieties I grew this year and I will probably grow it again next year. I ordered additional seed and also saved some from the biggest fruit. I typically grow only one plant per variety so can't comment on variability but the fruit definitely met the description on the seller's website.

My growing season probably ends tonight with the downpour currently going on outdoors, though with luck I may yet pull off some Lucky Tigers if they don't split.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2021   #24
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about GWR & white tomatoes. I can relate to your comment. I've been growing tomatoes for a very long time and never grown a GWR tomato because of my personal bias similar to what you mentioned. But that is going to change this year when I sow my Green Giant seeds for the first time. For me my bias comes from my ignorance about GWR tomatoes. I think I'll eat my first couple blind folded so I'm not influenced by what I see. Reminds me of a similar story about red peppers. I once took some of my best & sweetest red peppers to a friend and told her & her husband that these were very sweet peppers. A week later I asked how they liked them and found out they threw them out cause in their mind all red peppers were hot. So I think I am also biased about different colors of tomatoes in a similar way. Hopefully I can break my prejudice & bias by educating myself & not limiting myself to my favorite type of tomato which is a pink beefsteak. Ignorance is not a good thing and hopefully I'll be a little less ignorant by the end of the 2021 growing season.

Dan
I grow one GG every year, and they are very good. We also used it as breeding stock and got good results and cool twists with segregated families.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2021   #25
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

I grew Aunt Ruby's German Green tomato this year and loved its taste. It has rich balanced flavor.
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2021   #26
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Malchite Box is very productive and tastes great, with a great interior texture. It ripens early enough for our PNW climate. I grow it every year.
Cherokee Green, both times I grew it I got very odd shaped fruit. Not sure what it is.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2021   #27
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Malachite Box was on my grow list this year but I ran out of room...

Good to know it did well for you. I hope to try it next year.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2021   #28
katkoot
Tomatovillian™

I love Aunt Ruby's German Green, but this year I had a 9ft tall plant with hundreds of blossoms and zero fruit. I did discover a new favorite this year: Frog Princess. I got the seeds from Remy's shop as a free gift last summer. They are smaller slicers, but excellent flavor.
katkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2022   #29
MarcVillet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka is the best of the best GWR.
No white is good enough as for flavour for me.
I can just backup this statement. I've tried a lot of green when ripe tomato varieties but none was as good for me as Malakhitovaya Shkatulka regarding taste.
MarcVillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2022   #30
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVillet View Post
I can just backup this statement. I've tried a lot of green when ripe tomato varieties but none was as good for me as Malakhitovaya Shkatulka regarding taste.
That's "Malachite Box," correct? I agree, MB is probably the best. Humph is very good, and Romovaya Baba has done well for me. Green Giant is another favorite.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote