Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 10, 2017   #16
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

I think it is great you shared your enthusiasm for a particular variety! I think it sounds like a fantastic tomato that I would like to try! The story sounds weird to me but most tomatoes I don't even know the origin of and really find it no different from saving any other seeds really.He was given the tomato, he didn't walk in the garden and steal one. Either way we can still enjoy the tomato without supporting the vendor so Thankyou for posting!
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Just want to say I don't support stealing if people perceive it that way. I just want to talk about the tomato as it is which I enjoyed, I don't know if that is supposed to make me a bad person. Since this is going a be an issue for some people I rather have the thread closed than to get into a heated discussion like the other thread.
I am currently enjoying this tomato, it's delightful . I flat out love it.
I have come to know Curtis rather well over the past 2 years. I find him to be a warm loving human being with a great deal of integrity. He found this wonderful tomato, and wanted to make it available for others, and didn't have a name for it, the man he got it from said it was an unnamed family heirloom. Curtis saved 2 seeds and was able to grow it and now we all have access to it. He had to name it something, and to his knowledge it did not have a name before, no name at all.
I really like this kind gentleman, and I think he has been unfairly prejudged here, so please give him a chance, but even more, give this wonderful, vigorous, delicious, productive tomato a chance.
As far as it being maybe Anna Russian, I am growing both currently, and it's nothing like it except being a pink heart. Especially not size and taste.
Seeds will be available in my upcoming seed offer, and so will seeds of Anna Russian.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #18
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I second everything said. I have also found Curtis to be a good guy and a very knowledgeable tomato enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I am currently enjoying this tomato, it's delightful . I flat out love it.
I have come to know Curtis rather well over the past 2 years. I find him to be a warm loving human being with a great deal of integrity. He found this wonderful tomato, and wanted to make it available for others, and didn't have a name for it, the man he got it from said it was an unnamed family heirloom. Curtis saved 2 seeds and was able to grow it and now we all have access to it. He had to name it something, and to his knowledge it did not have a name before, no name at all.
I really like this kind gentleman, and I think he has been unfairly prejudged here, so please give him a chance, but even more, give this wonderful, vigorous, delicious, productive tomato a chance.
As far as it being maybe Anna Russian, I am growing both currently, and it's nothing like it except being a pink heart. Especially not size and taste.
Seeds will be available in my upcoming seed offer, and so will seeds of Anna Russian.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

May have to slide this one in sometime then. I do love my ❤'s
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
May have to slide this one in sometime then. I do love my ❤'s
This one is very loveable!
Old January 26, 2019   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I second everything said. I have also found Curtis to be a good guy and a very knowledgeable tomato enthusiast.
Thank you, Fred.
Old January 26, 2019   #22
PlainJane

IMHO, Curtis is the best, and works harder than any 5 people I know including me.
The only reason I don’t add this tomato to my current grow list is that I’m already so far over my limit its not funny. Next year’s list is already 20+ long, lol.
Old January 30, 2019   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
IMHO, Curtis is the best, and works harder than any 5 people I know including me.
The only reason I don’t add this tomato to my current grow list is that I’m already so far over my limit its not funny. Next year’s list is already 20+ long, lol.
Jane you seriously need to add this to this year's line up. Really!
Old January 31, 2019   #24
Karla
Tomatovillian™

This gentlemen , is a wonderful and kind hearted person and has a heart of gold and very knowledgeable about growing tomatoes. I have ordered from him and he is very sincere and passionate about his tomatoes and honest with his customers.
Old January 31, 2019   #25
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Jane you seriously need to add this to this year's line up. Really!
I will. But I’m seriously considering moving the side fence to increase tomato growing space. I might sober up once estimates come in.
Old December 10, 2019   #26
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, thank you for the upbeat commentary. I had already stumbled across this seller
and had ordered several varieties. I look forward to trying Curtis Cheek. (in some areas I view the world through the eyes of ‘situational ethics’. Of course, everyone’s lens are different. )

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019   #27
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I also know Curtis thru Facebook and his group. While he does have a lot of varieties listed, I do think at least a few are mis-named / re-named varieties. I did correct him on at least 1 that I knew was probably an innocent mis-name.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2020   #28
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I second the positive comments about Curtis- we have become Facebook friends and I am trying out Curtis Cheek this year as well as Goat Bag. He is a genuine and inspirational human being that loves tomatoes passionately and is a big fan of sharing.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2021   #29
OneStepAhead
Tomatovillian™

If anyone saves seeds from this cultivar I'd be interested. Can trade you for others if you'd like. However, im renaming it Ross's Heart in honor of the 83 year old (now 102) man who originated it.

Last edited by OneStepAhead; July 8, 2021 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Fixed Ross's age
OneStepAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2021   #30
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Can send seed from this plant in a few weeks or from last years crop. Need nothing in return. Message me your address. Plant will make many 1 lb. plus fruit. This is a very good tomato. Late for me, but pumps them out last of July into late Oct.

Have you grown this variety? Can I ask what your ties are to the originator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210707_192417.jpg (318.3 KB, 76 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote