Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2012   #1
veggiegrower100
Tomatovillian™

Default How long will my brandywine seeds from last year last?

I grew yellow and pink brandywines last year and had great results. I saved the best seeds using the distill method. I've bottled them in old prescription plastic bottles - I think they are airtight.

How many years should they last?

Thanks!
veggiegrower100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

People from this forum have managed to germinate seeds that were over 20 years old. How much light, humidity and the temperature all affects seed viability, but if they're well stored they should last you as long as you need them to last before you re-up your seed supply.
Old April 6, 2012   #3
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I have saved BW(Sudduth)seeds from 2004 that I grow from time to time. I don't really keep them in an optimal environment(in a small ziplock, in a box under the bed), but I always have enough germination for a few plants(I use the baggie method). I also still have a few seed from my original purchase from Johnny's from 1997, which I used in 2004 to get the seed I still have today.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have a lot of old seed. I have never experienced a problem getting some germination on seeds that are 8-10 years old. Sometimes older. They must be pretty tough. LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote