Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 13, 2011   #1
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone bought from "The Natural Gardening Company"?

I am looking to get some Ramapo seeds from them and would just like to hear if any else has experience with them. Thanks.
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvand5 View Post
I am looking to get some Ramapo seeds from them and would just like to hear if any else has experience with them. Thanks.
I'd never heard of this company and when I went to their site I was not impressed at all and as for tomato seed there are many places that are far superior for tomato seed.

And I was not at all amused when I read about their Ramapo seed. I tried to cut and paste Ramapo here, that didn't work, so will just link to the site and let folks read:

http://www.naturalgardening.com/vege...tomatoseeds/20

First, while they note that it was first developed as an F1 hybrid at Rutgers, what they're offering appears to be an OP version since the title has no F1 next to it as do all the others hybrids.

Then there's the price of $3.75 for an unspecified number of seeds but with other varieties the number of seeds is given.

Next, Ramapo, neither the F1 hybrid, which is available, or the OP version, is not 12 to 16 oz, as they report.

I dehybridized F1 Ramapo when it went out of production and distributed the F2 and F3 seeds and some folks are on the F5 and F6 now and it's perfectly stable.

The tomato variety selection is small and as I said, there are much much better places to buy tomato seed, in my opinion.
Old March 14, 2011   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

You can order Ramapo directly from Rutgers: http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/d...-orderform.pdf

You have to order by mail, but as I recall, they process and ship quickly.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #4
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pass. I know that Rutgers sells the seed, but I was hoping to avoid having to send in a check.
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just to note that Rutgers is selling the hybrid but if you wanted the OP version you could go to the WANTED Seed subforum here and ask if anyone had any Ramapo OP seeds to share. You never know.

And sorry, but I don't. I just had to scrounge around to find some to send to a person in Europe for a specific reason.

And yes, the F1 and OP Ramapos are about the same in all ways. I used the F1 plants and fruits when I was making selections from the saved F2 seeds. Ramapo has only two parents so it wasn't that hard to dehybridize.