Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 24, 2012   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Kennebec

I found kennebec at my local Mahoney's nursery for those new englanders looking to grow that one this year (8 small potatoes for $4)
http://www.mahoneysgarden.com/
Old March 24, 2012   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Just been reading about kennebec,it some like a nice spud,its just beginning to get its due and being noticed by better restaurateurs even though its around for over 50 years.

You are so lucky to have such a wider range available to you than we have here

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #3
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

In N Out Burger here on the west coast (and Arizona and Texas) uses Kennebec potatoes for their fries!
Old March 24, 2012   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am looking forward to grow it and put it to the test for pomme frites against my favorite in that category: Marcy.
Old March 24, 2012   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

kennebec is one of the usual suspects the local feed and seed sells each spring.
it grows well in my area. the very first year i grew it i was amazed at the size some of them grew to. i ran into the house to show them to my wife. seed potatoes are pretty cheap here.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #6
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Should do well for you Wendy, it has good late blight resistance.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Kennebec is a long season potato that performs exceptionally well from zone 5 to zone 9. There are very few other potatoes so widely adapted. While it is a top notch french fry potato, it is not so good for boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. I have Kennebec, Yukon Gold, Azul Toro, Russian Banana, French Fingerling, La Ratte, and a red commercial potato growing this year. The Kennebec will out yield all the rest by up to 30%.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #8
deerhunter
Tomatovillian™

the kennebecs are a good eating and storing potato but my favorate one to eat is thr red norland. its an early potato and doesant keep as well as others but make up for thier flavor.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #9
cortona
Tomatovillian™

i've planted kennebeck too this year, a friend of mine grow it and share with me some seed tubers, hope that it like my climate(around zone 8/9)
cortona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #10
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I was at Walmart and noticed their seed potatoes were 50% off (since it is sort of late to be planting). I got 2 lb. of Kennebec for $1.49. This will be my first attempt at growing potatoes. The only space I have to grow them is in 5 gallon buckets. It is getting late to plant them, but it should be fun to try and see what I get.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #11
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Good luck Mark,just keep them alive longer at the other end of the season and they should do OK.
Interesting comparing the prices for store bought seed spuds,here they cost $NZ10 for a 5 kg bag (11 pound) so about $2 per lb,thats in spring but do get cheaper towards summer.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #12
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I grew Kennebecs for the first time last year. I was really impressed...amazing yield and some really huge potatoes! I planted them out again this year along with La Soda Red which also does well for me. Kennebec is definitely my new favorite!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #13
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, looking forward to grow it! I have Marcy which is a tad small but awesome flavor (my french fry favorite) to compare it too. Lot's of good stuff this year.
Old August 13, 2012   #14
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Kennebec is sweeter and as good as Marcy as french fry. Just salt. I took one plant out that died down early, so the spuds were medium size not huge. I still would try it mashed etc to compare but is a very good one. Too bad you can't find them in the stores yet.

I'll go to my local Whole foods and ask. I've seen more varieties these days the even have bulk Blues, Yukon beside your typical Red and Russet and 3 different Sweet Potatoes (Georgia Jet is one).
Old November 16, 2012   #15
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Kennebec is a long season potato that performs exceptionally well from zone 5 to zone 9. There are very few other potatoes so widely adapted. While it is a top notch french fry potato, it is not so good for boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. I have Kennebec, Yukon Gold, Azul Toro, Russian Banana, French Fingerling, La Ratte, and a red commercial potato growing this year. The Kennebec will out yield all the rest by up to 30%.

DarJones
I would have to beg to differ with you about Kennebec's not being good for boiled or mashed potatoes. In fact, They are my favorite mashing potato although for me, with the exception of Yukon Gold, all the potatoes I have tried do OK for mashed potatoes and Kennebec's are poor fare ( pun intended) for French fries.

I do understand that the ground you grow potatoes in makes a world of difference in taste but texture ? Kennebec;s are to "wet" for making good French fries IMO. If you want good fries, try an old Cobbler that is all wrinkled and rubbery feeling. The water content is down and they make very good fries.

Being Kennebec's are so full of water, I would guess that the trouble your having would have to do with any fluid you may add when making your mashed/creamed potatoes. You might try steaming them in a pressure cooker so the potatoes don't come in contact with the water. It is easy enough to adapt a tea strainer etc as a basket to hold the potatoes while inside the cooker.
I haven't grown potatoes in many years simply because those grown up on the mountains 30 miles from here have twice the flavor and I have a problem with roots of some sort growing through those I plant. I buy on average 15 bushel of them every year in late summer and that will get me through until the new potatoes are being sold in early spring.

Would you mind sharing just what you find disagreeable about mashed/boiled Kennebecs ?
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote