Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old June 2, 2008   #1
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Default 30 Minute Pasta Sauce

When I first heard of making spaghetti sauce in less than 30 minutes, I was skeptical. The classic spaghetti sauces, including Spaghetti Bolognese that my mother used to make took hours. But with the availability of incredible tomatoes from my garden, it was time to take inspiration from America's Test Kitchen and see what I can make in about 30 minutes. The result is, in my opinion, fresh, zesty, and flavorful and a perfect accompaniment to most any type of pasta.

You will need approximately 1 lb tomato per person. If you have a serrated vegetable peeler, peel each tomato and remove the core with a knife. Otherwise, drop the tomato into boiling water for 60-90 seconds or until the skin slips off easily.

Place a strainer over a large bowl.

Finely dice the tomatoes (discarding any firm or woody parts) and transfer them, including any collected juices, to the strainer. Sprinkle approximately 1/2 tsp table salt or 1 tsp Kosher salt for each pound of tomatoes over them and toss. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.

Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic (and optionally 1/8 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes) to a 12" nonstick skillet and set over medium low heat.

Using a spatula, toss and mash the diced tomatoes until they give up more juice into the bowl. Using the spatula, scrape the tomato juice off the bottom of the strainer into the bowl. Pour the collected tomato juice into a 10" nonstick skillet and place over medium heat.

Add pasta and 2 tsp salt to the boiling water and cook as directed, until pasta is just al dente. Drain into a colander and let sit, without rinsing or disturbing.

Add the diced tomato to the skillet with the olive oil and garlic and simmer (adding 1/2 tsp dried oregano if you do not have fresh) for approximately 10 minutes. When tomato juice is reduced to a thick, rich tomato paste, add it to the diced tomatoes and stir well. Add 1-2 tbsp water if sauce starts to dry out too fast. Season with freshly ground black pepper, fresh oregano leaves, and 2-4 leaves of fresh basil, sliced. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and serve over pasta.

I will take some pictures the next time I make this.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Morgan!!!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2008   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recipe. You've inspired me to use a quart of canned. I'll strain juice from the pulp, cook it down, add some fresh herbs, salt-pepper, the pulp and some browned homemade Italian sausage.
Old June 4, 2008   #4
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

Oh yum. This sounds delicious AND very fresh tasting. I'll definitely be giving this one a try. Thanks so much!

Stacie
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote