Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 8, 2011   #76
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Made some pickles last week, loosely based on a combo of the first two recipes on this thread.

I filled two gallon canning jars and processed them in a hot-water bath and the lids sucked in -- yay! Had a lot of veggies left over, so I had to grab and sterilize a few regular clean jars and fill those too.

Sampled one of the smaller jars -- delicious!

I used cucumbers, carrots, cabbage and cayenne and banana peppers. The jar in the middle has all the green cherry tomatoes and ordono peppers I picked just before the snow plus the last pieces of leftover cabbage. Seasoned it all with lots of garlic, some dill and some chopped jalapenos in the salt-vinegar mixture. They do have a kick! I'm happy that the cucumbers are still crunchy.

Thanks for sharing the recipes!
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #77
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Got this recipe from one of my Korean neighbours. I watched her make it and got to taste some right out of the gate so to speak. And it was delicious. My portion is still aging. She said to keep it at room temperature for 3 days and then in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks before eating.

Think they used one of the online translators for the translation as the lady speaks limited English. So I am still trying to find out what dropwort is. I found Korean water dropwort online. I'll have to check out the local Korean grocery stores.

Zana

Kimchi (Korean Pickled Cabbage)

Ingredients
5 cabbages – nappa or bok choy
2 raddishes
5 cloves of garlic
5 cups of coarse salt
4 green onions
1 bundle of dropwort
3 ginger root
300g of mustard leaves
½ cup of fish paste
2 cups of red chili pepper
1 cup of sticky rice paste
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of oysters

Directions
1. After cleaning the cabbages, cut them into 2 or 4 pieces.
2. Prepare salted water with a ration of 2.5 cups of salt to 10 cups of water, then soak the cabbages in it for 6-8 hours
3. Rinse the soaked cabbages in running water 3 times and then wait for them to dry a bit.
4. Cut dropwort, green onions, and radishes into lengths of 5 cm. then chop the garlic and ginger.
5. Prepare fish paste and add red chili pepper to it with sticky rice paste.
6. Wash oysters in salt water.
7. Mix the ingredients from steps 4, 5, and 6.
8. Put the mixture inside of each leaf then store in a kimchi pot. On the top, cover cabbage with a leaf and sprinkle some salt. Then place a heavy stone on top to compress it.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #78
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Cocktail Okra

2 pounds fresh tender okra pods
5 hot red peppers
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 quart distilled vinegar
1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons pickling salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed

Wash okra and pack into clean jars with screw tops.
Into each jar put 1 hot pepper and 1 clove garlic.
Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and pour over the okra, filling the jars to overflowing.
Pour into jars and store in refrigerator or freeze.

Let age for 2 months before using.

Makes 5 pints.
Old May 19, 2012   #79
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Bread and Butter Pickles

4 quarts zucchini, cut in slices or strips
6 white onions, sliced
2 green peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic
5 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsps. turmeric
1 1/2 tsps. celery seed
2 tbsps. mustard seed
3 cups cider vinegar

Thoroughly wash and cut into slices 1/8-1/4 inch or strips, the unpeeled zucchini.
Add onions, peppers, and whole garlic cloves.
Add 1/2 cup pure salt and cover with ice cubes.
Mix thoroughly and let stand 3 hours.
Then rinse and drain thoroughly.
Combine remaining ingredients and heat slowly just to a boil.
Add zucchini mix and bring slowly to a boil again.
It should be slightly cooked yet crisp.
Pour into jars and store in refrigerator or freeze.

Makes 8 pints.
Old June 10, 2012   #80
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i am growing cornichon pickling cukes for the first timehas anyone else grown them ive never had sucess pickling before but i hope to get more into it this year
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #81
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Refrigerator Pickles

First batch of the summer. Yes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1 (4).jpg (148.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by recruiterg; July 25, 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Picture
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #82
bower
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a great recipe, I'll have to try it.

I found this really simple recipe for pepperoncini and vegetable pickles last year:

Combine in a saucepan and heat to boiling:
2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
The amounts can be halved for a small batch, or doubled for more.

Chop pepperoncini into half inch pieces, or slices, or if you want them whole, make a long cut down the side so they take up the brine and don't float.
Stack into a mason jar, with slices of sweet onions, fresh carrot, cauliflower and slivers of garlic. Only use top quality clean fresh vegs for this recipe.
Pour the hot brine into the jar to cover the vegs completely. Seal the lid while still hot. Tap the bottom to release any bubbles trapped amongst the vegs.
Once cooled, store in the fridge. Ready after two weeks, and keeps well for several months.

The pickles are crunchy, and the flavour of the peppers goes into the other vegs making them really tasty. These were great served on a cheese tray.
The leftover pickle juice had a great pepper flavour too, so we used it in marinades.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #83
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Default Hotwired's Sweet Pickles

I pickle everything with this brine, from cukes to green beans and beets. I found this hand-written recipe in one of my grandmother's cookbooks. I am a pickle addict and this is by far the best sweet pickle recipe I've tried.

Here's a detailed photo step-by-step in a PDF - http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/H...et_Pickles.pdf

Prepare the Following:

4 Quarts of Sliced Cucumbers Cut 1/16" Thick (16 Pickling Cukes)
6 Medium Onions Sliced 1/8" thick rings
1 each of Red & Green Peppers cut in 1/4" to 3/8" wide strips
3 Cloves of Garlic (3 Sections cut up)
2 Trays of Ice Cubes
1/3 Cup of Salt

In a Large Pan or on a Cafeteria Tray:

Layer half the Cukes, Onions, Peppers, and Garlic in the Pan
Sprinkle half the salt over the tray, and add 1 Tray of Ice Cubes.
Repeat with the other half on top of the first layer. Let stand for 3 hours. Refrigerating is optional.

Mix & bring to a boil the following:

3 Cups of Distilled White Vinegar
5 Cups of Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. of Tumeric
1-1/2 tsp. of Celery Seed
1-1/2 tsp. of Mustard Seed

Directions

Drain the tray of Vegetables and mix into the brine, and bring to a boil. Can the pickles using a hot water bath method. Pressure canning is not necessary for pickles. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water. Fill the jars with the pickle mixture, then add the brine till it is about 1/4" from the top rim. Wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth and place the lid on the jars. Place the jars into a hotwater bath (boiling water). Make sure the water covers the jars when the canner is fully loaded. Cover the canner, and bring to boil, and hold at a boil for 20 minutes. Remove the jars, and let cool. You will hear a pop when the jar seals. If you press in the center of the lid, it should not move.

Note: If you have extra liquid left over, you can can it and make a small batch of pickled beets later. Just cook your beets, skin and slice them, and place them in a canning jar. Cover with the liquid and can as above. They're incredible.

Happy Pickling.....
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #84
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

You are right Hotwire They are incredible. I definitely agree 100% That's the same exact recipe and method my Grandmother used for sweet pickles. And one year we were canning beets and ran out of vinegar. So we finished off a jar of Grandmas sweet pickles and added the "juice" to the normal Ball Canning recipe for beets.

Best beets we ever canned.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote