Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2020   #46
teyger
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone point me to a reliable source to purchase Aunt Ginny's Purple seeds?
teyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2020   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by teyger View Post
Can anyone point me to a reliable source to purchase Aunt Ginny's Purple seeds?
I just restocked some seed and got some new varieties to try here. They have a large selection of open pollinated varieties.

https://www.tomatofest.com/Aunt_Ginn..._p/tf-0031.htm

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2020   #48
teyger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I just restocked some seed and got some new varieties to try here. They have a large selection of open pollinated varieties.

https://www.tomatofest.com/Aunt_Ginn..._p/tf-0031.htm

Bill
Nice, tomatofest has quite the selection of tomatoes! Thanks Bill!

Last edited by teyger; January 10, 2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old January 10, 2020   #49
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

I actually Skipped last year... lol terrible !...but my regular must grow every year is long so I will try to make the best "6" categories.

1) Hybrids : Juliet , Big beef , Sungold .
2) Japanese Minis : Rejina Red , Rejina Yellow , Chibbiko
3) Russian Hearts : Danko , Velmozha , Zolotoe Serdtse
4) Ornamental value : Fuzzy Wuzzy ,Silvery Fir, Stick
5) Budai Torpe and offspring : Budai Torpe , Yukon Quest, Dwarf Arctic Rose, Bundaberg rumball

ok I still can't do it !... pick only 5....not even 5 categories ...so

Bonus 6) 3 more : Yaponskiy Karlik , Black Cherry ,Matina

geese only choosing 5 is like " Sophies choice " ...just can't do it ...lol
Old January 10, 2020   #50
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have only tried between 400 and 500 varieties and neither tomato has made my best tasting in any year I have grown them. Some years AGP is in the top 5 but I don't believe Pruden's has ever been in my top 5 but it has been in the top 10 numerous times. I agree AGP is a bit larger usually but productivity wise I would not say that. I have grown both nearly every year for the past 10 years and a few times AGP beat out Pruden's in productivity but usually Pruden's out produced. One of the reasons is I am in a much hotter and more humid climate where Pruden's is one of the top tomatoes for setting in extreme heat and I mean above 95 daily with nights in the 80s. Very few pinks thrive in that heat especially when it comes to setting a lot of fruit but it and sometimes Limbaugh's Legacy will set really good during the hottest weather. That is probably the biggest difference in Cowlick's and Sudduth's. Cowlick's is far superior in setting fruit when the temps get really hot and Sudduth's usually shuts down fruit setting then. Both have been my taste topper several times over the years and when they aren't number one they are usually in the top 5 most years. Only a couple of other varieties have ranked number one more than once for me.

The 1884 I grow is the red or purple one and it is extremely good and it sets well in the heat. Cowlick's unlike Sudduth's will also set fairly good in the heat and the taste is so similar I usually can't tell them apart. I grow German Johnson PL and it is usually in my top 10 every year also. I had really great production and quality of fruit out of Giant Belgium for the last two years but the three before it was only good not great. I always give a fairly good tomato at least three seasons before relegating it to my don't plant list. One that is totally bland or way too sweet usually only gets two years to make the cut. As I said before I like a well balanced tomato with a lot of sweetness countered by good tartness. Omar's is one that I grow every few years just to get a few really large fruits off of but it is not in the league flavor wise of the others mentioned in this post. It is frequently really bland and sometimes it is even mealy textured but it is a good show off tomato. Last year it produced less than a half dozen fruits but the taste was better than usual.

I will give you a list of my top 10 or so that get more than one spot each year in my garden because usually they are just so good but with tomatoes you never can be sure from one year to the next. No particular order to this list just tomatoes that have made it into the top three spot a few times and seem to be consistently better than most others in my garden and to my taste buds.

Dester
Brandywine Sudduth's
Brandywine Cowlick's
Arkansas Traveler
Red Barn
Giant Belgium
Neves Azorean Red
Spudakee
1884 (red or purple)
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Limbaugh's Legacy
Stump of the World
JD's Special C Tex
Granny Cantrell
Indian Stripe rl or pl
German Johnson pl

Most of the tomatoes that I plant tend to set fairly good or even really good in the heat except a few which are so good I have to have them so I make sure I plant them early.

Bill

Dester, Brandywine Sudduth, Brandywine Cowlick's, Neves Azorean Red, Stump of The World, Aunt Ginny's Purple, and Granny Cantell have all been near or at the top in my garden, through the years.

If you rate Arkansas Traveler that high, perhaps it's finally time for me to try it.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020   #51
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, I have to say that Arkansas Traveler is one of the more dependable tomatoes for me each year. Taste varies from year to year but one year it was actually my best tasting tomato and 4 out of 5 years it is in my top 10 for taste and it is usually in the top 5 for production every year. Good reds are hard to find or at least reds that I like the taste of that produce well in my garden. It is relatively easy to find a great tasting pink but a great tasting red is rare as hens teeth. Reds do better in general during the heat of summer down here than do pinks and that is why so many tomato growers are constantly searching for great reds here in the south. I don't know how it would fare way up there where you are but I would guess it would be okay but more tart than here in the summer and more like it tastes in the fall down here. It is one of my favorite fall tomatoes because it will actually ripen later than most others in the cooler weather of fall.

Go ahead and live dangerously and try it.
Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #52
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've discovered one of those rare hens teeth, selecting from an unknown cross of Granny's Heart. Do you have "Bacon Lettuce and This", a potato leaf red beefsteak?
Old January 11, 2020   #53
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Slightly related to the topic, a tomato taste tests.

https://bradford.missouri.edu/tomato...-test-results/
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #54
teyger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post

Sigh, I am already over my head in trying new varieties this year and I am limited in space. Now I have to figure out how to squeeze in Brandysweet Plum
Old January 12, 2020   #55
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Its been out more than a few years now but last year I discovered Sweet Scarlet Dwarf really is a spectacular red. Not just among dwarfs. Among reds.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2020   #56
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Linda,

Dwarf Sweet Scarlet made a big impression on me too! Whilst a little on the tart side (for me) raw, I found it really excellent when cooked i.e. halved and fried with bacon and egg - yum!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2020   #57
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Girl Girl's Weird Thing was new to me last year and it was fantastic in all aspects--flavor, size, production. I am growing it again in 2020. I did not grow KBX last year and greatly missed it so it will be back in 2020 after 1 year absence.
GGWT was new for me and was very good. About half of them had blossom end rot when no plants had BER, but I will still grow it again because that ones that did make it were very good.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020   #58
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post

The testers tased their tastebuds antecedently to that tomato trial?
Old January 13, 2020   #59
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The testers tased their tastebuds antecedently to that tomato trial?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020   #60
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Linda,

Dwarf Sweet Scarlet made a big impression on me too! Whilst a little on the tart side (for me) raw, I found it really excellent when cooked i.e. halved and fried with bacon and egg - yum!

Linda
I'm a member of the (small) club here that loves Silvery Fir Tree! Tart is GOOD.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote