Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2006   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default Black sea man tomatoes

Hi Everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone can give me some info on these? I've done alot of checking here and on the other site and just can't find alot of info.Is it hard to grow, is it a new variety,or is it just plain NASTY I am going to be a first time heirloom tomato grower next season and was slowly working on getting different ones to try and this is one i'm really intrested in if its worth it i will try and find seeds thanks for any info.
Thanks Richard
Old July 5, 2006   #2
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

Black Sea man was discussed briefly in this thread.

http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1731

Seeds Saver Exchange has the seeds available.

http://www.seedsavers.org/products.asp?dept=43
Old July 5, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Black Seaman is not new at all. SSE imported it from Marie Danilenko in Russia in the early 90's along with Southern Night and both are det, PL so called blacks.

Craig and I both trialed them way back then and I will say I'm not a fan of either one.

The SSE public catalog shows a weird picture and makes Black Seaman appear to be something unique, but I don't agree.

Not only did I not like the taste of either one, I guess I am not that fond of most det varieties.

Blue Fruit, aka Blaufrucht, is another PL det so called black and quite susceptible to foliage diseases as are the other two for some folks.
Old July 6, 2006   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

This tomato variety is another example of Russian name direct translation in English. The original name is Chernomor, but it seems to me when M.Danilenko sent our varieties to USA early in 90s she prefered to translate Russian names in English for your better understanding.

Southern Night = Yuzhnaya Noch

I grow Chernomor (Black Sea Man) only in greenhouse (the small one) here at my Zone 4a. Usually it has rather slow growth and yeild from moderate to high. But last year I tried Chernomors from two different Russian seed companies "Biotechnica" and "Sedek" and found significant differencies between them. One from Biotechnica had lilac-violet shadows as written on their commercial packet. The second from Sedek got me brown-mahagony fruits or what we usually called black tomatoes. I've got information that this Sedek's Chernomor was bred in early 2000s by VNIISSOK Institute from Moscow.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The impression I got is that there are at least 10 "black" varieties you should consider before Black Sea Man.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Feldon hold your horse a moment. What a Northern Grower grows and a Southern growers are different stuff. Like I can't seem to get Kimberly to do anything for me in this zone. I have not chimed in to mention that for me it STINKS (you see where I am going) Some tomatoes are just AAAAA plus and do well in all zones just my opinion. But Black Sea man was a tasty tomato and it did Die but all plants produced arm loads of tasty tomatoes and did it at record speed. Most tomatoes at this point in my zone are about dead or dying so to have one produce a large amount and tasty ones at that well you can't beat it. My ADVICE is to give ADVICE on YOUR experience. Happy Gardening-Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #7
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

It is on my list of tomatoes to try next year, because it is a determinate. I much prefer small plants that can do the same job as the big sprawlers, and the wind kind of skips over them versus uprooting them.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSCOLO
Feldon hold your horse a moment. What a Northern Grower grows and a Southern growers are diffrent stuff. Like I can't seem to get Kimberly to do anything for me in this zone. I have not chimed in to mention that for me it STINKS (you see where I am going) Some tomatoes are just AAAAA plus and do well in all zones just my opinion. But Black Sea man was a tasty tomato and it did Die but all plants produced arm loads of tasty tomatoes and did it at record speed. Most tomatoes at this point in my zone are about dead or dying so to have one produce a large amount and tasty ones at that well you can't beat it. My ADVICE is to give ADVICE on YOUR experience. Happy Gardening-Rena
I'm glad BSM worked for you. I will be trying Kimberly next spring along with probably several other discoveries from this forum and SSE.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #9
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Kind of hate to dispute the tomato professionals on here but the Black Sea Man is one of the best tasting tomatoes I have ever grown. I've grown them for 7 years now for my heirloom tomatoes i sell at Farmer's market and that's the first thing i'm asked every year. Do I have any of those Black Sea Man tomatoes, we love them ! I think Cherokee Carbon is slightly better myself, but most of my customers like them better than any Brandywine or Cherokee Purple. I wished they weren't determinate but they're still pretty darn good.
DonB5750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2020   #10
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing BSM in zone 8b....hoping for a tasty tomato in a determinant size plant. ����
Snozzcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2020   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know anything about BSM but I have grown a lot of black tomatoes and found that the taste excels in the heat of summer down here when most other types seem to fade a bit or a lot. I have almost completely stopped planting black or purple/pinks down here in the very early spring because the fruit are fairly tasteless in the wet cooler spring weather and I am talking about all of them. I have yet to try one that is better in May than in July or later when the temps hover near 100. As soon as the oppressive heat of summer gets here and the diseases kick in for real then the black tomatoes flavor soars but so do some of the diseases that are prevalent in those types. Gray mold loves black tomatoes and attacks them anytime the humidity is close to our normal down here.

As with any tomatoes too much rain is bad for most black tomatoes due to the splitting but the taste just disappears and they become mushy wastes of space and victims of Gray mold. I recommend anyone growing any black variety of tomato in the deep south regularly spray it with copper and if any Gray mold beats the copper then hit it with the diluted bleach spray as quickly as possible to prevent its rapid spread. Last summer we had a drought with only a few inches of rain from April through November and it resulted in unbelievably low humidity during the mid and late summer; but it did give me the first season ever that I didn't have a single incidence of Gray mold on any of my black tomatoes. I expect it back again this year.

I personally like Indian Stripe reg. or pl, Spudakee, J.D.s Special C Tex, and Gary O' Sena. They are usually dependable, tasty, have a decent shelf life and they resist splitting better than many other black tomatoes in my experience. I usually set them out late April through June. I would guess BSM will taste pretty good despite you being way up there in north Mississippi.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2020   #12
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That is the beauty of growing tomatoes. What I like you don't and vice versa. Black Sea Man is a disease magnet which is a significant weakness. Flavor is pretty good but not exceptional. If you get them past the foliage diseases, particularly septoria, they do reasonably well.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2020   #13
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

It is Good reading Dr. Carolyn's post here again. I know she is in heaven looking down on me. Seeing how difficult it is for people like me suffering from Dyslexia. She helped me to understand so much that has added to my successful farming Business. Being a female Farmer is hard work but I have more help this year. I am teaching my Husband and Daughter about the Heirloom Tomatoes, especially the Nutritional Value to our health systems that have kept us safe in these times. Everyone wants to learn to grow their own food again.

I love the Black sea man tomatoes. They are easy to grow if you start them early in a greenhouse.

Farmer Joyce,
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote