Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2020   #1
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default Hotset tomatoes

Are any of the hot weather setting tomatoes really good? Just picked up Sun Leaper and Grand Marshall plus I've grown a number of others--generally disappointed.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Years ago when I still had a mix of hybrids and heirlooms I used to try a few of the hot set tomatoes and was usually disappointed in both the fruit set and the quality of the fruit. Over the years I found that a lot of the heirlooms will set fairly well even in very hot humid weather if you do a few things that help them. The ones that I am familiar with and grow almost every year that set well in the heat of summer are: Indian Stripe PL, Spudakee, Pruden's Purple, Kentucky Wonder reg, Limbaugh's Legacy, Arkansas Traveler, Gary O' Sena, JDs Special C Tex, 1884, and Brandywine Cowlick's. Many others do well off and on some years in the heat of summer but the ones above usually do set well even in the hottest weather. I'm sure I left some off the list but these are the ones that first come to mind.

Just planting the right varieties isn't enough to coax good fruit set under hot conditions. The following things will help a great deal: Limit the number of stems. Mulch the plants heavily. Feed them a good dose of Texas Tomato Food every week to 10 days. Make sure the plants are well watered when they are blooming and you want more fruit set. Allowing them to get the least bit too dry during high temps will cause far more blooms to drop than if they are adequately watered and if they get way too dry they will drop all or almost all their blooms. Regularly apply a fungicide to help prevent illness and react quickly to resolve any pest issues that will pop up. Last but not least try to keep planting new plants right up through June so that you always have some young plants starting to produce as the days get really hot. Most of your tomatoes will come off the first four or five clusters so keeping new plants started will greatly increase your chance of getting some good fruit right through the hottest late summer months.

You will rarely get huge fruit sets even with all these steps during the hottest months but you can assure a much better chance of getting a decent supply of fresh tomatoes when everyone else has quit trying. Another thing is the fruit is usually smaller late in the summer and the skins will be tougher but they sure beat those grocery store tomatoes.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2020   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

A couple of OP varieties worth growing are Tropic and Creole. Neither is above 7 on a flavor scale, but they definitely handle high temps better than most heirloom varieties. Tropic has the advantage of resistance to gray mold which can cause quite a bit of leaf damage in mid summer. Heidi is fairly heat tolerant for a paste variety. Bella Rosa is a determinant hybrid with some heat tolerance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2020   #4
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I really appreciate all the in depth answers and I've grown a number of the suggested varieties--too many varieties sometimes and it's difficult to really learn anything. This year I'm growing fewer and I should still have plenty to eat, can and give away. Viva la BLT!
Old March 7, 2020   #5
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention that I also have the San Antonio Rodeo tomato--this year it's Red Snapper. Apparently it is also good in hot weather. Anyone tried it?