Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 12, 2009   #16
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Thanks, Carolyn, for the input. I noticed that within the link you provided..a interesting future goal of the Fletcher tomato facility to have their own lab with molecular testing.

I just got off the phone talking with Gene Hookstra of STA Labs. I think I will
send some tomato seed to be tested for a variety of markers, including the CAPS test for TSWV. It takes about three weeks to get results. Here is a blurb on the STA LABS site:

Quote:
As a high-throughput Molecular Marker laboratory, we offer the following services:
  • Marker Assisted Selection – Trait Marks
  • Marker Assisted Backcrossing – Genetic Marks
  • Quantitative and Qualitative Trait Mapping – QLT Marks
  • Molecular Genotyping – Variety Marks
The prices I have been quoted are reasonable, therefore, I will be testing for the following:

Quote:
Tomatoes

Fusarium Wilt, Races 1, 2, and 3
Verticillium Wilt, Races 1 and 2
Bacterial Speck
Bacterial Spot
Tobamoviruses

TSWV
With many years of breeding my classics such as Green Zebra with the alphabet soup clones, (think VFFFTNA, etc.) I need to submit my new lines for evaluation. If I ever do a full release of some of my newer varieties or hybrids, the lab service of STA labs would be a great precursor.

Thanks, Randy, for bringing this subject back to the front burner.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #17
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Reviving this older thread, as I was bout to start a new one and a fair amount of the issues have been discussed here.

I got hit pretty hard by TSWV starting in late Aug-early Sep. I will only be sharing seeds saved earlier than July 2016.

Next year's plan is multi-pronged. Integrated Pest Management, silver reflective mulch, cultural practices, aggressive culling, etc. The other measure is grafting onto TSWV "resistant" rootstock

Candidates include: Bella Rosa, BHN-444/640, Mountain Glory, Talledega, and Quincy.

Would some resistance be conferred?
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #18
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

No, infection is in the top of the plant vectored by thrips so a resistant rootstock will be of no benefit.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Sticky traps for thrips and the reflective mulch are good starts, When I got thrips in my GH last year I sprayed Spinosad and it eliminated them and they never showed back up.

Oh wow I just realized we have Dr. Gardner in this thread. Mr. Gardner I was curious when your tomato series of striped fruits with late blight resistance will be released? I am a small market grower in upstate SC and have over the last couple of years been growing many of your varieties. I also wanted to thank you for all the amazing work you have done with breeding tomatoes.

Last edited by BigVanVader; December 9, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #20
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
No, infection is in the top of the plant vectored by thrips so a resistant rootstock will be of no benefit.
Input is much appreciated, alternate measures will have to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Sticky traps for thrips and the reflective mulch are good starts, When I got thrips in my GH last year I sprayed Spinosad and it eliminated them and they never showed back up.
Cool, I'll add it to the repertoire. Thanks!
Old December 12, 2016   #21
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Reviving this older thread, as I was bout to start a new one and a fair amount of the issues have been discussed here.

I got hit pretty hard by TSWV starting in late Aug-early Sep. I will only be sharing seeds saved earlier than July 2016.

Next year's plan is multi-pronged. Integrated Pest Management, silver reflective mulch, cultural practices, aggressive culling, etc. The other measure is grafting onto TSWV "resistant" rootstock

Candidates include: Bella Rosa, BHN-444/640, Mountain Glory, Talledega, and Quincy.

Would some resistance be conferred?
I have some seeds of coated Talledega. I had planned on growing them this year to see what they were like. I didn't realize that they had resistant properties. I couldn't find too much infor on them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #22
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Input is much appreciated, alternate measures will have to suffice.

Cool, I'll add it to the repertoire. Thanks!

Yellow french marigolds do a marvelous job attracting thrips away from the tomato flowers, thus eliminating the source of infection.
Haven't encountered TSWV since I began planting them along with the tomatoes.... YMMV

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #23
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I have some seeds of coated Talledega. I had planned on growing them this year to see what they were like. I didn't realize that they had resistant properties. I couldn't find too much infor on them.
It's fun to find something in your seed rollodex...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Yellow french marigolds do a marvelous job attracting thrips away from the tomato flowers, thus eliminating the source of infection.
Haven't encountered TSWV since I began planting them along with the tomatoes.... YMMV

Lee
Great tip Lee, thanks. A few seasons ago I planted plenty of those and yes, very few thrips. I'll add a whole bunch of marigolds (or cempazuchitl as they're called down here) to the 2017 lineup. Still have plenty of seed. I'm also gonna up the Tobacco plants on the opposite side of the property as a trap of sorts, it seems they attract everyone too.
Old January 15, 2018   #24
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I ran across this thread and found it interesting. I have had an abundance of thrips in my garden for two years. I had the bronzing on leaves and poor yield and ended up pulling the majority of plants. Last year I put out a sticky trap and then took it in to our extension office to get the diagnosis of thrips. I planted a second tomato garden last year and plants there did better but I still ended up with TSWV in some plants at the end of the season. I have been able to find in catalogs: Mountain Merit, Bella Rosa, Red Defender, BHN 602, BHN 1021, Skyway, and Caiman. I do not usually order from Totally Tomatoes, but they also have: Amelia, Mountain Majesty, and BHN 444. Does anyone have experience with taste and performance of plants resistant to TSWV? Are they mealy? I am looking for medium to large fruits.
Thanks,
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #25
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Merit is a decent tasting tomato that is pretty bulletproof.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #26
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Majesty is a large tomato with good flavor and fruit color (has the crimson gene for increased red internal color and higher lycopene). However, I am biased in recommending this TSWV resistant hybrid.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #27
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Randy,
Mountain Majesty did very well for me. I had a good yield of tasty tomatoes. I did rotate spraying with Neem Oil, and Spinosad. I also put out a lot of sticky traps. Thank you for the recommendation.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote