Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2013   #91
Tania
Tomatovillian™

The picks (Aug 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !Harvest 2013-08-03.JPG (197.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg !Harvest 2013-08-03 (3).JPG (187.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg !Harvest 2013-08-03 (2).jpg (236.2 KB, 44 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013   #92
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Well done Tania, everything looks amazing!! Can you tell me about the flavor of the "love apple"? Is it a mild, medium or hot pepper?
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013   #93
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Penny, Liebesapfel pepper is very sweet. It has thick walls too, so it is quite heavy for its size.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 11, 2013   #94
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Default Some tomatoes of my youth back East!

Some big ones in the harvest this week! I planted several varieties that generally have no place in a PNW garden. Between our good tomato summer and keeping some of these in my greenhouse, I have actually been getting some to ripen!

In the second photo, they are (from left to right) Tiffen Mennonite, Chianti Rose, Garden Leader, Tiffen Mennonite, and Pink Ponderosa. The third photo is just the Chianti Rose. The forth is a San Marzano Gigante.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050974.jpg (368.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1050968.jpg (403.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg P1050972.jpg (475.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1050971.jpg (411.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1050980.jpg (529.9 KB, 52 views)
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #95
Tania
Tomatovillian™

BennB, this is such a lovely harvest of huge tomatoes.

This Chianti Rose is a monster!

What are you doing with all these fruits?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 12, 2013   #96
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

I tried the Chianti Rose for the first time this year. It is a very, very good tasting tomato. Almost seedless. Sweet but still tasting like tomato... but it had very low productivity for me...I grew it in my small greenhouse, in raise beds, and in containers in my driveway...It also has pretty low disease resistance. So I am unlikely to grow it next year.

Quote:
Eating a lot of them...I like them sliced...maybe with some mozzarella and basil, but mostly with salt and pepper...I've stuffed a few with salmon salad, eat them on tuna melts. I also grow peppers and make fresh salsa. I gravitate to beefsteak tomatoes. I grew up near Brandywine, PA and it would not be summer without fresh tomatoes.

We give a lot away to friends and neighbors, but most go into sauce. We are not fussy about the sauce. We cut up any variety of tomatoes seeds, skin and all... mix them with onion, whole garlic, olive oil and salt in a roasting pan, cook at 425 for a couple hours, emulsify with an immersion blender, add herbs and seasoning to taste, put a quart in a zip lock bag and freeze it.

We've made about 3 gallons so far. A great taste of summer all year long.

I also have a bunch of Heinz 2653 and some Roma VF that should be ripening at the end of the month I plan to dry.
Old August 12, 2013   #97
Tania
Tomatovillian™

BennB,

It is so interesting how the same varieties perform so differently in different gardens! I am also growing Chianti Rose this year, and I cannot complain about its yield. The fruits are not as big as yours, averaging about 12 oz, but there are quite a few of them on the plants. It is a keeper for me

Unlike Vinson Watts which I am growing for the 2nd year, had no fruit last year, and I see only 3 fruits on 1 plant. I heard this tomato performed so well for other folks, but not for me...

We are also eating lots of fresh tomatoes and peppers. Have not started canning, saucing, or drying yet, but it looks like if the weather continues to be dry here and late blight does not hit, I will be busy with lots of tomato preserves. So far I only made 1 jar of marinated tomatoes, from all the 'wrong' fruit (which did not grow true to type). The correct ones go into seed saving and into salads after the seeds are removed.

Last year I made over 200 litres of tomato sauce, and we still have a couple of boxes sitting in the basement, so I think this year we'll do more hot sauce (thankfully lots of hot peppers are ripening!) and dry/dehydrate more.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 14, 2013   #98
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

We had an excellent year here in central California...we harvested about 5 times this amount!

Bladefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #99
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease got me...

Sadly, the plants in my small hobby greenhouse succumbed to disease. I am pretty sure it was septoria, although there was some gray mold and probably some late blight thrown in for good measure. I have been battling it for a few weeks, but this week we had a run of warm, humid, wet weather and the few plants that were trying to hang on, gave up the ghost. I still have some outside, but even a few of those are showing signs of disease. I pulled off affected leaves and hit them with bleach spray, so I hope they can hang on to get some of the pounds of green fruit ripe, but I think I am likely winding down my 2013 season in Seattle.

I went through and picked all the ripe fruit and then I pulled all the blushers and under ripe fruit I could from the greenhouse plants tonight before they were yanked out and put in the yard waste. The box of under-ripe fruit must weigh about 40 pounds! Hopefully I can get enough of these to turn to mix in with some sauce.

All and all I can't complain about the 2013 season. If it were not for a few cool weeks and some issues with the marine layer in late July, it would have surely been one to remember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001261.jpg (124.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001263.jpg (116.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001253.jpg (112.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001255.jpg (91.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001257.jpg (98.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by BennB; August 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old August 16, 2013   #100
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Oh no!!!! I am so sorry to hear about your tomato plants dying... But your tomato harvest is still very beautiful.

I looked at the pictures, and thankfully it is not late blight that you have, and that's good news.

It has been raining here since yesterday, and cooled down significantly. I had to go out today in the rain to pick ripe tomatoes, could only pick 1 box before getting so wet... Everything looks good so far, but some fruits cracked badly, as there was such a drastic change in humidity, from super dry to 100% humid. I think it will be more cracking happening. The rain is supposed to stop on Sunday. Yikes!

So next week we'll know if we are getting late blight here or not. I hope not yet!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 16, 2013   #101
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

BTW - I finally remembered to take that big Chianti Rose into work and weigh it on a digital scale. It came in at 741 grams...about 26.1 oz! And that was a after a week on the window sill! It was 145 mm...about 6 inches across at its widest point.

Benn
Old August 31, 2013   #102
MarieV
Tomatovillian™

I finally got to harvest my big tomatoes. They finally started ripening this week. As usual, the black tomatoes are my favorite, especially Black and Red Boar and Black Krim. There's nothing quite like that first taste of the season. The other black tomatoes aren't quite ripe yet, and it's so hard to wait for them!

Black tomatoes (clockwise from top left): Vorlon, Black Krim (4), Tasmanian Chocolate (dwarf plant), Black and Red Boar (3), Black Prince (3)

Other tomatoes (clockwise from top left): Paul Robeson (2), Cherokee Purple (4 unusually small fruit), Green Zebra (4), and Not Isis Candy I and II are from plants grown from seed saved from the same fruit that was supposed to be Isis Candy but wasn't last year.

The Cherokee Purple is an F3 plant since I saved seed from a CP plant grown in 2011, then saved seed again from the resulting plant grown in 2012. This year's plant is really prolific, with almost 10x as much fruit as the other black tomatoes like Spudakee, Vorlon, and Paul Robeson, but the fruit is much smaller, about 1.5 oz. Last year the fruit from my Cherokee Purple varied between 4-6 oz. None of the fruit are quite ripe yet, so I'm really curious to see if it tastes just as good.

Not Isis Candy I actually looks like an unusually large (double the size of regular) Isis Candy; it even has the characteristic starburst on the blossom end. Not Isis Candy II is twice the size of the perfectly round 1" red fruit I got last year. Since they're both about the same size as Jaune Flamme, I wonder if the fruit from the original Not Isis Candy I grew last year was pollinated and mixed with Jaune Flamme, which was a few feet away. The red 1" fruit I got from the original Not Isis Candy last year was almost as sweet as Sungold, so I can't wait to taste them to see if they're just as sweet.
MarieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #103
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Holey Schlamoly !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PNW, what an unusual and fantastic harvest for your area. Congrats !!!!
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #104
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

thought I'd add my harvest pic to this thread ........... from early September - includes Cheerful F2 growouts, Sunsugar F1, Dwarf Jade Beauty, Durmitor, Persimmon x unknown heart F2, Sunset Falls F1, Roger's Sweet Light Yellow, Black Cherry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 09 07 tom harvest.jpg (274.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by PNW_D; September 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #105
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

This was the 2nd year growing Alices Egypt and like 2012 it is by far the most productive variety I've ever grown. There is a large variation of size with tomatoes in the 6-18 ounce range. The MRs and all her Korean friends really love the taste but it's to sweet for me. Another great tomato, more to my liking was the Hmong. It also was very productive of huge 1-2lb tomatoes. I used 5 six foot bamboo stakes, per plant, and the plants still tipped over. I saved seeds from both and the plants were isolated from other varieties. Next year I plan to only grow the Hmong and Alice's Egypt.