Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2018   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Husky Red tomato!

Husky Red tomato fooled me. I've grown Husky Red cherry many times in the past with very good results. It has always been a very productive, very healthy tomato plant which produces cherry tomatoes which seem to have a taste almost identical to full size red tomatoes with a slightly acidic flavor. I haven't grown it in a few years.

This year I had a few empty spaces in my garden and I was looking at pepper and tomato seedlings at the farm store when I spotted Husky Red tomatoes. I wasn't aware a new hybrid dwarf was on the market named Husky Red instead of Husky Red Cherry. I bought a couple of the plants and noticed they were not growing very fast and the leafs looked different. They have rugose leaves and while indeterminate, seem to stay under four feet tall. They supposedly produce tomatoes up to seven ounces in size. My potential problem is the rugose leaves. I've never been able to grow plants with rugose leaves. When the first cool moist weather of spring appears, they usually die from some form of blight quickly. I hope I have better luck with the new variety.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2
paprika
Tomatovillian™

If memory serves, I think Husky Gold, Husky Pink, and Husky Red were developed by Petoseed and came out in the early 1990's. I'm not sure if the Husky Gold Cherry and Husky Red Cherry came out at the same time, before, or after that.

I have not grown either of the cherry versions, but have grown the 3 others. 3'-4' tall. Good production. Pretty good disease tolerance. Fruit size 4oz-8oz. Flavor was OK to good, but not great. I liked the Pink the best.

I can also say that I'm not sure they were F1 hybrids. I know Carol Knapp and I grew them out through to F5-F8 stage and never noticed any trait differences through the years.

Hope your Husky Red does well for you.
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
If memory serves, I think Husky Gold, Husky Pink, and Husky Red were developed by Petoseed and came out in the early 1990's. I'm not sure if the Husky Gold Cherry and Husky Red Cherry came out at the same time, before, or after that.

I have not grown either of the cherry versions, but have grown the 3 others. 3'-4' tall. Good production. Pretty good disease tolerance. Fruit size 4oz-8oz. Flavor was OK to good, but not great. I liked the Pink the best.

I can also say that I'm not sure they were F1 hybrids. I know Carol Knapp and I grew them out through to F5-F8 stage and never noticed any trait differences through the years.

Hope your Husky Red does well for you.
You are absolutely correct that all you mentioned were developed by Petoseed in CA before they were bought out.. But they didn't go over well with the public at all b/c so many were not used to the heavy rugose foliage.

And yes,they were OP.

Carolyn