Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 28, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Seed Germination?

I am wondering if I've done something wrong while doing a tomato seed germination test? I started the test Friday, August 18 with a wet paper towel, seeds, and a ziplock bag (Plural - 5 varieties, 5 bags, 5 wet paper towels) Here it is August 28, and I still have 5 bags with wet paper towels and seeds that look like they did back on the 18th.

The seeds were saved with the fermentation process - no oxy clean, bleach, muriatic acid, etc. Also, the area they are in is kept at a temperature between 75 and 80 degrees with a window nearby for light.

So last Friday, August 25 (3 days ago) I planted seeds for all 5 varieties in pro mix cells. So far, no results, but it has only been 3 days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am wondering if I've done something wrong while doing a tomato seed germination test? I started the test Friday, August 18 with a wet paper towel, seeds, and a ziplock bag (Plural - 5 varieties, 5 bags, 5 wet paper towels) Here it is August 28, and I still have 5 bags with wet paper towels and seeds that look like they did back on the 18th.

The seeds were saved with the fermentation process - no oxy clean, bleach, muriatic acid, etc. Also, the area they are in is kept at a temperature between 75 and 80 degrees with a window nearby for light.

So last Friday, August 25 (3 days ago) I planted seeds for all 5 varieties in pro mix cells. So far, no results, but it has only been 3 days.
Look closely at those paper towels and see if you can see any molds growing.

One of the reasons I don't like that method is b'c of molds destroying the seeds.

And when I did that Seed offer preview I spoke to that as well and also those dome things with plastic covers which if you don't prop up one end for air ciculation you can bake the seeds..

Which is why I always suggest germinating seeds in a good soiless mix such as Farfard or similar..

And germinating seeds has always been of interest to me b/c with seed offers for fresh seeds I only used to send out 5-6 seeds. More for seeds two years old, etc.

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Never could understand why some of you folks did the paper towel thing with tomato seeds.
Okra seeds yes tomato seeds no.
Okra is the only seeds I do this with.

I have yet to test my tomato seeds I fermented.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Paper towel needs to be just moist not dripping wet.
My experience, tomato seeds germinated in 5 to 10 days under identical conditions,
the optimum temperature being around 75F. I have had failed seeds that I got from donation or swap in the past but NEVER any of my own saved seeds. By fermentation method I pick and save the heaviest and fast sinking seeds and though away the floaters and those that take a while to settle.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I love the paper towel method for seeds that germinate fast. It's easy to see if you have a dud batch! Yup, it should be damp not soggy and I'd have thought those seeds would have been sprouting in 3-6 days!

I have run into problems with seeds that take a long time to germinate. As Carolyn says, they can rot. I usually change to fresh paper towel for any slow pokes.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I over-soaked the paper towels. I let some air into the bags and now they are germinating big-time. One is about 3" long

I learned.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote