Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2018   #1
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Default Strange growth

I gave these plants to my mother in law. They’ve been in the ground about a week and are growing very strange, haven’t worked up yet.”, and lots of discoloration on the foliage. Here are the pics, does anyone know what may be the culprit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Is it cold there?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

That curly one is just like the one HairyMooseKnuckles showed. So many causes of curling, I would put my bet on wet feet or aphids I think. You can get yellowing from wet feet too, as in the PL plant. JMO.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #4
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

It’s been high 80’s during the day and 50’s st night
Old March 31, 2018   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Probably wet foot and water logging.
How about the hours of direct sun ? Fertilizer ? How long ago did you plant them out?
Some of my own newly planed ones also have pale greeb, yellowish leaves. I will give them 7 to 10 days to grab the soil, grow more roots.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #6
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

They’ve been in the ground for over a week. Minimal prep I’m sure went into preparing the beds. Maybe a bit of compost and some mulch on top. That’s about it.

I didn’t know it could be caused from overwatering since I haven’t had it happen to my personally yet, but I would bet that is the culprit. I told her to lay off the water for a few days and To cut back next time she does water.

It’s her first time growing tomatoes here so it is probably going to be a learning experience.

Y’all will get a kick out of this - her neighbor came over and warned her to not put COMPOST in the beds where she will be eating veggies out of.... what a joke. I told her that’s absolutely not true and to add all the compost she wants next year. It’s semi annoying to have someone perpetuate something that is so obviously false when they can easily find out it’s not true with a quick google search. Oh well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 31, 2018   #7
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone around her used RoundUp at any point recently?
Old March 31, 2018   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully it is the watering, BUT yes it could also be the compost used on those beds. The compost may have some chemical residues which in affecting the plants growth. Try planting a bean seed in the soil. If the seedling is deformed, it is the soil that is contaminated. It also could be that someone used Roundup close by and it drifted onto the plants.

I hope that this helps and you can figure it out.
Old March 31, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Around here lawn waste pick ups go into a town compost. So many chemicals are used on lawns, it is why I won't use the free town compost. My mother had what looked like round-up type damage after using it. Did you happen to use anything like that?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #10
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Herbicide damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
Has anyone around her used RoundUp at any point recently?
Last year I had a neighbor across the fence try to kill vines growing on her side of the fence with Roundup. It wreaked havoc on a lot of the plants on my side of the fence. The new growth looked very curled and weird like that and new tomato fruit was misshapen.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote