Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2018   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well, we the southerners have an early season but then some time around August most of our production will shut down. Then lt would be the northerners turn to have an advantage. That suits me fine. Now take care of those tiny seedlings hear !?

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; March 31, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #47
BoilerMan1812
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple pics of my starts. I haven’t managed to screw them up...yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D68E60E-90B0-4FC5-BCE6-0CC884E4CB24.jpg (502.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 73136776-E31D-4BAC-AB0E-1E6845FE2AA1.jpg (444.3 KB, 115 views)
BoilerMan1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

they are a nice deep green color
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #49
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I took a tray of assorted Aji peppers out today for a couple hours of their first sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #50
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I took a tray of assorted Aji peppers out today for a couple hours of their first sun.

Now that I see the picture, they look like they need fertilized.

pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #51
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here are some from today (March 30th). They are a little late, but back in 2012 or 2013 we had a late unofficial frost on May 2. We planted transplants out the next day and they grew and produced fine.

These have spent most of their time outside. I brought them in during a couple of stormy days. They're itching to grow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0042.JPG (69.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0043.JPG (75.2 KB, 102 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #52
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Salt, those seedlings look great. I see a few lanky ones on the left, so next year wait another week or two. But honestly I don't see any that look really bad.
You have done well...
Old March 31, 2018   #53
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The tomato babies are now 12 days from seeding. This year the plan is to set them out to harden four weeks from seeding, ten days of hardening on the front porch and then into the buckets they go for the season. That would be a plant-out date of Apr 26 or so. At least that's the plan. Y'all know how those go!

The peppers got started earlier since they're a lot slower so here they are at the five week mark. I will be shifting them up to larger pots next week since I want nice big sets so they can get a jump on growing and producing before the summer heat kicks in.

I also started three 'Everona Large Green' tomatillos today. They were started later than the tomatoes after I read here in Tville how rampant they are! I also learned here that you need more than one for cross pollination and that explains why my one plant never produced about five years ago. So I'm doing three and giving them a lot of room. Great info on this site!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #54
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

beautiful peppers
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #55
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Wow, this thread is full of nice looking, healthy seedlings and plants. One thing struck me. All the different techniques and products used to start seeds, and we all have our favorites as well as the ones we don't like at all, but they are all producing nice healthy plants. Just goes to show you, while most people will find some ways easier or cheaper for them, whatever works for you is fine. No matter what other people do. I love that about gardening. When you are cutting up that tomato for your first tomato sammy, no one cares if you used peat pots or seed starting mix, individual cups or sprinkled all your seeds in a big tub.

I start my own seeds because I can't get what I want in plants any more. I have gotten VERY particular over the years, lol. I have liked but not been super impressed with store bought ML plants, but fell in love with Estler's. No way I am going to find that at the store. I like most Brandwines but love Sudduth. When have i ever seen a heart variety in a store? Never. Most of my favorites were introduced to me here, and a large percentage by Carolyn. So thank you, Carolyn, and thank you all. You have helped me enjoy it so much more. You also made my life so much more complicated.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote