Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2017   #46
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's not the official forecast and you probably won't see it on the news. It came from the site I linked earlier. It is the Euro model run from today so it may change.

https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/eu...2-72-irma.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #47
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Marsha... You and yours stay safe. I'll be keeping you and Douglas, Barb and our other TV Florida folks in thought and prayer.

If you need anything after the storm passes, let me know.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The other day I realized I have been through every natural disaster of some type but a major earthquake.

Stay safe in Florida.
Florida sort of sucks for escaping.
Let me see, when the storm hits I would rather be at home with my food and guns than stuck on the road with a bunch of nuts.
This morning there were cars waiting for the fuel truck to show up so they could get gas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #49
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Praying for you and family marsha. And for your dog and cats. Stay safe and be well. You sent ggwt seeds to me a couple of seasons ago. Great tomatoe from a terrific person. I admire your courage and i have faith that god will watch over you and yours. I know he will.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #50
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe, everyone...

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #51
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - a tid bit I saw on FB - put things like photo albums, important stuff in the dishwasher and lock it. Waterproof and being bolted in your things should be safe just in case the roof goes.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #52
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Sending my thoughts and prayers to you, Marsha, and to Gardenboy, as I know he lives close to you. We have family in Miami and found it futile to try and get flights for them up here. Last year we were very anxious watching Hurricane Matthew as it headed for a direct hit on our beloved winter stomping grounds, but it stayed 5 miles out and did significantly less damage than anticipated. I am hoping for another miracle with Irma.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #53
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Mikes page is live and they are shifting it a little more west they are predicting a landfall at Homestead. Remember it can shift anywhere in the cone. Saying prayers for family and friends still there.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #54
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe, you know we will all be waiting to hear from you. All those cars that ran out of gas make me realize that at times, owning a Prius can come in handy. I would have put whatever full gas cans I had for the mower and generator in the car and headed out, with my GPS in case I needed to leave the highway, and kept going. Since you are committed to waiting it out, I will be thinking about you, hoping and praying it works out for the best.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #55
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Jose chasing his big sister..

And looking at this graphic, it has weakened and let's hope it breaks down farther before landfall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irma and jose.jpg (157.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DJKaH-9VAAAEUC9.jpg (117.5 KB, 101 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #56
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Stay safe, you know we will all be waiting to hear from you. All those cars that ran out of gas make me realize that at times, owning a Prius can come in handy. I would have put whatever full gas cans I had for the mower and generator in the car and headed out, with my GPS in case I needed to leave the highway, and kept going. Since you are committed to waiting it out, I will be thinking about you, hoping and praying it works out for the best.
Excellent point, SueCt. My daughter has a Prius and loves it for economy and comfort. Central Nebraska doesn't see many hurricanes, but tornadoes are another story.
Marsha, if you do not evacuate to an inland location, which we are all urging you to do, please stock up with whatever you can find and more than you think you need.

Get the best solar landscape lights you can find too. I brought mine inside when we lost power during the summer and they were on all night. The brand I had was Westinghouse.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #57
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

What a good idea for the solar lights, lisa, I would never have thought of that. With a full tank (10gallons) and the 10 gallons I usually have in cans, I could go about 800 miles. The poor people with only a pickup that gets 12 miles a gallon are in big trouble. Although the tanks are larger, having an extra full tank in gas cans would be highly unlikely. ALWAYS fill up several days before a storm is predicted and top it off right before if possible.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #58
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, GardenBoy, and everyone else in FL please come out of this safe and sound! Our thoughts and prayers go out to you. I think as an entire nation, we are watching with abated breath.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #59
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We have several family members and a couple of friends scattered through the state, so we're watching and waiting.... stay safe everyone!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #60
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I was about to say, "I gather that you are probably making a mistake, but it's the same choice I'd make in your place, to not abandon your animals."

As I read further, I got a lot more hopeful that you will be okay. Thank you for keeping us all posted as long as you are able.

Needless to say, my thoughts and greatest hopes are with you and the others in the path of this monster.
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote