Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I have never grown them, but Jetstar and Celebrity seem to be very popular in my area. Lots of people swear by them.
Agree.
They are some of the famous old fashion American tomatoes.
I have not grown them myself either. But some day I might try them.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

Well, with Carolyn up in Ohio and me here in hotter Texas, it should be good to compare notes on how Jetstar does for each of us.

It can't be as mealy and bland as the supermarket tomatoes are !!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I have never grown them, but Jetstar and Celebrity seem to be very popular in my area. Lots of people swear by them.
People say that Celebrity has changed over the years. The Celebrity I grew was not good at all. I couldn't eat them. Jet Star blows it away in the flavor department.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #19
imp
Tomatovillian™

That is good to hear!
Old May 27, 2017   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Agree.
They are some of the famous old fashion American tomatoes.
I have not grown them myself either. But some day I might try them.
Old fashioned?

You should try them since I think you'll see they are far from being old fashioned.

Carolyn
Old May 27, 2017   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Jet Star was my grandparent's market variety throughout the 1980s. That was before Big Beef existed. I've grown both side by side. Taste is identical. They are the only two non-cherry hybrids that I like to eat. Jet Star is indeterminate, but it is a more compact grower than Big Beef, which will yield more, but take up more space and require more pruning and trellising.

Oh, and I have no idea where that "low acid" description comes from. That is not my experience at all. I grew up eating Jet Star. It will burn the corners of your mouth, like any other red tomato.
The low acid bit comes from a list of tomato varieties that were low acid,most are no longer available but Jet Star is and at most places it's suggested that if canning them you should acidify them with some lemon juice,see the Blue Ball Canning monograph for that.

Carolyn
Old May 27, 2017   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Interesting information from everyone. Thanks so much.
I put 3 in the garden tonight before I came in. I honestly don't ever recall hearing of it before. Thanks Carolyn for the history of it
Have you trialed the three together to see what the difference between them is? Curious how similar or different they are.
Yes,I have trialed all three in the same season,sort of.

The first one bred by Harris was Moreton Hybrid, and it's a very soft fruit and doesn't taste as good as the other two.

I like Jet Star and Supersonic about equally,but will give a nod to Supersonic on taste in most summers.

The one I really like was Starpak, but,well,no longer available

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23523

post #4

It was a new one at the time and my father had planted a large field of them next to one of our orchards, I can still picture them even now.Many of Dad's farmer friends came to take a look and taste and many of them grew them for quite a few years until they went out of production.

Carolyn
Old May 27, 2017   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. I appreciate your input.
Old May 29, 2017   #24
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

I grow Jet Star and it does well for me. It's the only hybrid in my garden. I have grown Ramapo and Moreton in the past as well. I like them both taste-wise but Jet Star performs better for me and yes I notice that Moreton fruit are soft. Rutgers, Celebrity and Supersonic are popular around here too.

Last edited by pinklady5; May 29, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #25
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Jetstar F1 a number of times and it is quite good. I like a sweeter tomato so prefer Beefy Boy F1 and Steak Sandwich F1. Big Beef F1 tastes similar & is more productive. Here are a couple of shots of Jetstar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jet Star 1.jpg (20.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Jet Star 2.jpg (15.6 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; May 30, 2017 at 02:08 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #26
WaltRoos
Tomatovillian™

Default Low Acid ??

From the books I've read, All ??, tomatoes have a very similar PH. (Acid). The main difference is in the sugar content. ie different tomatoes with the same PH will taste acidic or not depending on the sugar content. (Brix ?)

" There is probably as much variation in the pH and acidity of tomatoes due to climate,soil,cultural practices and ripeness as(there is) to variety differences," "USDA"
from "All About Tomatoes " book. about 1980.

Myself, I just don't know. Until this year My Taste buds have been in very sorry shape, which I believe was caused mostly by Nasal Sprays. I gave them all up except Saline solution, and my taste buds are recovering nicely. I'm not a Dr. but I think I could play one on TV. At 76 years old my doctors no longer tell me what's best for me. I study any problems and we discuss what "we" are going to do to make things better. Well, That's my attitude anyway.

I enjoy both the Celebrity and Jet Star as well as the Big Beef. I hope that this year I will be able to finally do some good taste tests.

love to all,

walt

PS So now when I read that a Tomato is low in Acidity I automatically interpret that to mean that this tomato has a high sugar content, or whatever.

Last edited by WaltRoos; June 8, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
WaltRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltRoos View Post
From the books I've read, All ??, tomatoes have a very similar PH. (Acid). The main difference is in the sugar content. ie different tomatoes with the same PH will taste acidic or not depending on the sugar content. (Brix ?)

" There is probably as much variation in the pH and acidity of tomatoes due to climate,soil,cultural practices and ripeness as(there is) to variety differences," "USDA"
from "All About Tomatoes " book. about 1980.

Myself, I just don't know. Until this year My Taste buds have been in very sorry shape, which I believe was caused mostly by Nasal Sprays. I gave them all up except Saline solution, and my taste buds are recovering nicely. I'm not a Dr. but I think I could play one on TV. At 76 years old my doctors no longer tell me what's best for me. I study any problems and we discuss what "we" are going to do to make things better. Well, That's my attitude anyway.

I enjoy both the Celebrity and Jet Star as well as the Big Beef. I hope that this year I will be able to finally do some good taste tests.

love to all,

walt

PS So now when I read that a Tomato is low in Acidity I automatically interpret that to mean that this tomato has a high sugar content, or whatever.
I'm not so sure I agree with everything you wrote, but yes,the internal pH of different varieties can vary quite a bit,BUT,how that affects taste is a different story.

Yes, a high concentration of sugars,viz, the Brix level,is not directly correlated with internal pH

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mato+varieties

If I'd spent more time I could come up with a longer list,but the first three links on the above page should help.

And you've just reminded me that many years ago a man named T Sherwood,a fellow SSE member, was determing the internal pH of about 150 varieties, but I don't remember why he was doing that.All I know is that he asked me if I wanted the leftover seeds in the packs,he sent them and I thanked him.

Carolyn, who notes that she will be 78 this month and can still appreciate the different tastes of tomatoes,thank heavens.LOL
Old June 8, 2017   #28
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
snipped

Carolyn, who notes that she will be 78 this month and can still appreciate the different tastes of tomatoes,thank heavens.LOL

And that is a terrific thing!
Old July 3, 2017   #29
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Starting very late this year, but still have well into October to see what I can do This year. My existing plants are still doing well, but nothing ripe so far. As usual Carolyn has raised my interest; this time on the Jetstar and Supersonic. I remember years ago when supersonic came out, but nobody bought the plants. Most at the nursery stuck with Bigboy or Rutgers back then.

Anybody have a cutting of the two they could spare? Would gladly pay the shipping to GA.. This will probably be my last year, but would now be interested in comparing the two. If not, no problem. I searched everywhere at the standard distributers of Bonnie Plants earlier for Jetstar but no luck. Now, the mention of Supersonic vs Jetstar sounds like a fun effort.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #30
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

They sell loads of Jet Star at local nurseries here. These are the two I bought. They don't seem to be growing upward very fast. That's typical for juvenile plants that I plunk into these big pots. Whatever plants are in these pots take off like fire after they think they've grown enough roots. I get YUGE plants from these containers. :-D
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote