Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2023   #1
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Default Which root stock for short seasons?

Hi, I am wondering which rootstock of the RST series, Estamino, or Fortamino is best for shorter seasons?

I already have all those. I grew Fortamino last year that claims better for it but all the seeds really never did well at all.

I have side grafted before in N. California but my records weren't that great. But they all did well. But Carbon on Estamino was pretty late. RST 106 on large potato leaved types did well.

Growing in grow bags so not that worried about soil disease. Really about early vigor and keeping earliness with grafting. I will be starting these two weeks ahead of normal non grafted seeding.

And if you have time what varieties worked better depending on rootstock.
It seemed that larger plants did better with RST and Estamino with moderate size but sometimes was same.

Bill has mentioned that the RST series was better at short season compared to Estamino. But is there any reason to add in that he is in a warm long season and if that would have any difference in my short PNW season.

I know I seem to be answering the question myself, but I like to have as much data as possible.

Anyway, thanks for any input!
Gary in Olympia

Last edited by strawbaleking; February 7, 2023 at 01:30 PM.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2023   #2
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Here are some choices for this year. I will just be grafting a few of those. To start with maybe Bear Creek and Rebel Yell on?

Indian Stripe
Spudakee
Dana Dusky Rose
Rebel Yell
Terhune
Bear Creek
Goose Creek
Big Cheef
Cherokee Carbon
Pervaya Lyubov
Bloody Butcher
Brandywine, Red (Landis Valley)
Box Car Willie
Rose De Berne

These are all going to be grown in bags again under a plastic covered cattle panel tunnel. Spudakee and Terhune did well this year and tasted ok. I have not grown the others here in the PNW.
I have not grown most of them at all except the above and Rebel Yell and Bear Creek in Cali. They were very good. Non were grafted there.

Last edited by strawbaleking; February 7, 2023 at 02:20 PM.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
estamino , fortamino , rst