Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 28, 2023   #1
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Default So, what are you planting this year?

I'm about to up-pot my seedlings, wondering what others are growing for 2023?
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2023   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Being in NE Ohio I still have some time to decide what to plant! Sadly the seed catalogs are rolling in and making my choices more and more complicated!
Old January 28, 2023   #3
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a dwarf tomato bed with Dwarf Mr. Snow, Fred's Tie Dye, Saucy Mary, Sweet Scarlet, Kangaroo Paw Green, Idaho Gem and Banana Toes. I've only grown Mr Snow from this list, the rest looked interesting while perusing victory seeds website.

1 bed (4 x 8) of my "bulletproof" tomatoes. These are the tomatoes that grow well for me no matter what, and we've had a couple bad years in a row, so it's necessary these days. 4 each of Juliet and Anna's Multiflora.

One 3 x 6 bed that will have 4 or 5 indeterminate full size heirloom plants, to be determined. Probably Stump of the World, a green when ripe, a bicolor, a cherry.

That's all for tomatoes.

One 3x6 bed will be Lesya peppers and a couple cayenne. A 4x8 bed will be greens and purple cabbage. The last bed, 4x8, will be japanese sweet potatoes. I haven't tried to grow sweet potatoes, so it'll be an experiment.

In the back yard, I have about 1/3 of the yard fenced off from the dogs that I call my fruit yard. It has a donut peach, this will be it's 3rd year, hoping for a peach this year, 2 very young apricot seedlings that came up last year in one of the raised beds, 2 raspberry bushes, and lots of new blackberry bushes. I plan to plant my vining stuff back there along the drip line this year. Squash, melons, cucumbers.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2023   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
I'm growing a dwarf tomato bed with Dwarf Mr. Snow, Fred's Tie Dye, Saucy Mary, Sweet Scarlet, Kangaroo Paw Green, Idaho Gem and Banana Toes. I've only grown Mr Snow from this list, the rest looked interesting while perusing victory seeds website.

1 bed (4 x 8) of my "bulletproof" tomatoes. These are the tomatoes that grow well for me no matter what, and we've had a couple bad years in a row, so it's necessary these days. 4 each of Juliet and Anna's Multiflora.

One 3 x 6 bed that will have 4 or 5 indeterminate full size heirloom plants, to be determined. Probably Stump of the World, a green when ripe, a bicolor, a cherry.

That's all for tomatoes.

One 3x6 bed will be Lesya peppers and a couple cayenne. A 4x8 bed will be greens and purple cabbage. The last bed, 4x8, will be japanese sweet potatoes. I haven't tried to grow sweet potatoes, so it'll be an experiment.

In the back yard, I have about 1/3 of the yard fenced off from the dogs that I call my fruit yard. It has a donut peach, this will be it's 3rd year, hoping for a peach this year, 2 very young apricot seedlings that came up last year in one of the raised beds, 2 raspberry bushes, and lots of new blackberry bushes. I plan to plant my vining stuff back there along the drip line this year. Squash, melons, cucumbers.
Where do you get your Anna's Multiflora?
Old January 29, 2023   #5
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I got them from Renaissance Farms probably 4 years ago. I've saved and grown them ever since, they're great.
Old January 29, 2023   #6
Dak
Tomatovillian™

@Spike2, yes, I forget, there's parts of the world where spring is still very far away. You still have time! After last summers heat, I started looking for tomatoes with a reputation for withstanding prolonged heatwaves. Time will tell, I guess.
Old January 29, 2023   #7
Dak
Tomatovillian™

@badkelpie, I'm growing Japanese sweet potatoes too, for the first time. They may be better suited to our ever changing climate.

I like the idea of "bulletproof" tomatoes, I want to get to that point one day.
Old January 29, 2023   #8
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing the Japanese sweet potatoes because I like the taste, but if they're hardy, that's a huge plus. I'm in central Washington, it is not anything like what most people think Washington is like. Summers are very dry and very hot, and the sun is relentless. Most of the time it's in the 90s, but 100+ is pretty normal as well. Year before last it was 118 in June. That year, I didn't grow my bulletproof tomatoes, and had very few tomatoes. Hoping for a normal growing season this year.
Old January 29, 2023   #9
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I have somewhat set in stone so far is roughly 30 Marzano Fire plants, 2 Benevento, and 2 each of Artisan Seed's new Bi-color beefsteaks. I know there will be other tomatoes in there, Cherokee Purple is a must for me, and some Cherry Tomatoes as well, but I haven't set numbers or varieties in stone yet. I'll have room for a total of 60 plants, so have some room to play with still.

Other stuff will include Kickoff XR sweetcorn, Capture cabage, Golden Glory, Dunja, and Gold Rush Zucchini, Walla Walla Sweet onions, Sunshine Kabocha Squash, HOney Bear acorn squash, Sunland and Black Seeded Simpson lettuces, Blue Lake 274 green beans, Lakeside spinach, Numex Jalapeno's, King Arthur Bell peppers, and probably some sweet peas. Then I'll have a bunch of herbs and flowers scattered around, both for use in the kitchen and to attract pollinators.
Old January 29, 2023   #10
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

bad.kelpie

Hello I'm located in North Central Mississippi. I've been growing Punta Banda for several years

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Punta_Banda

If you want to try it PM your address and Ill send some seed your way. claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2023   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Each season we like to introduce new variety’s.

We managed to start some Macadamia plants,some Pitachios from seed.
Old January 29, 2023   #12
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

New for me this year are shallots and brussel sprouts. Excited because we should finally be able to harvest some asparagus. I did all my tomato planning in the fall and have my seed all ready. Got new LED lights for my racks. Just passing time until I can start.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2023   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I love the idea of bulletproof tomatoes. Still searching for one in my scorching-summer climate!

This year I plan to grow a lot of nematode-resistant crops. Corn and zinnias are not affected, so those will go in the beds where the tomatoes did not do well last year. Also marigolds and N-resistant black-eyed peas.

I'm debating whether to grow only the peppers I loved in previous years (Ajvarski, Lesya, Sweet Chocolate), or add some new varieties I've bought recently, mostly orange bells. Same with eggplants: a few favorites, or a whole bunch?

I will try to get by with only 15 tomato plants instead of 65, mostly N-resistant, plus a few favorites (including Polaris and Benevento F1).

Planning to try some Carosello cucumbers. Watermelons. Other melons. Summer greens such as Doucette d'Alger. Planting dill in the perennial kale bed to see if it has any effect on the harlequin bugs.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2023   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

In the raised bed garden it will be two varieties of cucumber, two varieties of green bean and maybe beets. The in-ground garden is mainly tomatoes...all OP/heirlooms; no hybrid will ever find valuable space there. Also we have asparagus, peppers, probably a pumpkin and a spot for decorative gourds along the edges. I will try a row of potatoes. I would love to do some fancy colored corn but the raccoons do not allow it to ever get past the early ear stage.

Maybe I can sneak in a watermelon or muskmelon but I just can't seem to get them to grow...either it is me or the soil or both. Around the edges of the garden I love to grow sunflowers. Make a great boundary and the birds and bees love it.
Old January 30, 2023   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post

That's all for tomatoes.

Raspberries, and (thornless?) blackberries?

In my garden, the blackberries are wild and thorny, and along with the raspberries they will run about 6 feet a year in nice loose soil. If not kept contained, it can take a lot to remove them from where one doesn't want them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote