Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 10, 2020   #16
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I read one person -- this probably would only work with cherries or saladette sizes -- but I read that one person just sort of mashes the tomato up, mixes it in some water and lets it ferment that way. Would that actually work? I'd be worried that I'd squish the seeds or something.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2020   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
I read one person -- this probably would only work with cherries or saladette sizes -- but I read that one person just sort of mashes the tomato up, mixes it in some water and lets it ferment that way. Would that actually work? I'd be worried that I'd squish the seeds or something.
That would work but why have so much extra pulp to deal with when fermentation is through. I have been saving seed for a long time and found that the easiest method is just to save a bunch of small jars for fermenting. I take a fairly large funnel and just cut the tomato in half and squeeze out the seeds and juice into the jar with the funnel in it so most of it doesn't miss the small jar. If it is a rather dry tomato and doesn't have enough juice I just add a bit of water and then just place the jar lid on top of the jar without tightening it at all and wait three to five days depending on the temps and how many seeds are dropping to the bottom. I always put a piece of masking tape on the jar and label the start date of the fermenting and the variety to avoid any mix-ups. Once fermentation seems complete I add more water to the jar after spooning the moldy mess off the top and then shake it well and let it sit a minute then pour off the pulp and bad seeds. I repeat this process until the water is clear and then pour the seeds into a small strainer and run water over them for a few seconds or longer to get any last bits of pulp and then dump them on labeled paper plates and spread them out before they dry too much. I then let them dry inside in the air conditioning for a week or two and then put them in small coin envelopes. Most varieties germinate really well for 6 to 7 years and then start slowing down if they are kept in a cool dry place. I usually start saving new seed for a variety when germination gets below 80% or so just in case germination takes a nose dive suddenly. Once I see that the newest saved seed are germinating well and are running true without crosses I throw out the old seeds.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2020   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I cut the tomato at the equator, and squeeze as much seeds that will come out.

Then I massage the outside of the tomato half in relation to where each locule is, from the furthest distance away the cut to the cut.

Out of perhaps 150 to 200 seeds in a large beefsteak, I may miss a couple of seeds.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2020   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I cut in half or fourths, squeeze into the container and ferment. The fermentation process takes 3-5 days. Add clear water, rinse until only seeds are in the container (I use my daughter's thirty year old cabbage patch doll containers, square plastic 8 inch tall, 4inch by 4 inch). Easy to handle and easy to remove good seeds.

Not all good things happen fast. I continue to operate in old school mode.